• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 2:15 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2014
314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto

how to strengthen wifi signal

the wifi signal about 30 feet away from the router and separated by two to three walls is very slow and sometimes loses connection.

i have lower end internet at 5mbps down and 1mbps(or .5) up. my router is some d-link device that i got at bestbuy some years ago.

is this a router issue?

how can i make the internet more usable at the other end of the apartment?
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6317 posts
2821 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Try changing channels?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35600 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
Upgrade your router.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3165 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
Look into getting a mesh router. Since you are in an apartment, there are plenty of other routers around you that is most likely causing interference as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4046 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Wifi repeater worked for me. Wifi was weak on the third level. Router was at ground level. A repeater in the 2nd floor worked wonders.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4549 posts
2819 upvotes
Gotham
Location is important. If the signal has to travel around corners it could a problem. Have the router out in the open if it is not already.

I have mine by a window and it works two floors up and 50+ feet away around my house.

I have a very old and cheap router (TP-Link N450).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5962 posts
1284 upvotes
Montreal
What worked for me was to turn off automatic wifi channel selection on my router and to manually select the least used channel in my building.
Phils
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19332 posts
989 upvotes
I would try installing a pair of powerline adapters to move the router to the middle location in your apartment.

Is your router support 5GHz band ?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8641 posts
1095 upvotes
Upgrade your service to at least 50mbps, i actually don't think there will be a price increase. heck you might be able to get 100mbps for the same price. Rogers or Bell will give you a new modem/router and you can probably use the router that comes built in. Might solve your issue if you don't want to buy a new router.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2373 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
There might be some concrete behind the walls that is causing the interference and/or your neighbours' wifi signal.

I would suggest to move your router to a more central location and out in the open.

For an apartment, you shouldn't need to upgrade your router unless it's dying since apartments and condos are pretty small to begin with. I would leave this suggestion as a last resort.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
r1lee wrote: Upgrade your service to at least 50mbps, i actually don't think there will be a price increase. heck you might be able to get 100mbps for the same price. Rogers or Bell will give you a new modem/router and you can probably use the router that comes built in. Might solve your issue if you don't want to buy a new router.
How would upgrading internet affect wifi at all?
If OP's connection sucks now, they'll suck even worse but faster with an upgrade.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
ausername wrote: the wifi signal about 30 feet away from the router and separated by two to three walls is very slow and sometimes loses connection.

i have lower end internet at 5mbps down and 1mbps(or .5) up. my router is some d-link device that i got at bestbuy some years ago.

is this a router issue?

What is the model number. I can check the RF power of that model !
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8641 posts
1095 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: How would upgrading internet affect wifi at all?
If OP's connection sucks now, they'll suck even worse but faster with an upgrade.
if you read my message again, i clearly state that he/she mind as well upgrade the internet as I'm sure there will be no cost difference. With the upgraded internet, most modems come with the built in router, the OP can use that to see if its any better then the Dlink unit they are currently using, therefore don't have to pay anything.

OP
How long has this been going on for? as this internet connection is like a century old. Was it not giving issues before?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
r1lee wrote: With the upgraded internet, most modems come with the built in router, the OP can use that to see if its any better then the Dlink unit they are currently using, therefore don't have to pay anything.
Yeah... modem router combos aren't exactly known for good routers.
[OP]
May 2, 2014
314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
r1lee wrote: if you read my message again, i clearly state that he/she mind as well upgrade the internet as I'm sure there will be no cost difference. With the upgraded internet, most modems come with the built in router, the OP can use that to see if its any better then the Dlink unit they are currently using, therefore don't have to pay anything.

OP
How long has this been going on for? as this internet connection is like a century old. Was it not giving issues before?
Hi r1lee, the poor wifi signal has only been identified since the family got new smart phones. before then, internet was not needed in the far end room.
[OP]
May 2, 2014
314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
EdT586 wrote: What is the model number. I can check the RF power of that model !
Hello EdT586. apologies for late reply.
the model number is D-Link DIR 605L
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8272 posts
2008 upvotes
Toronto
ausername wrote: the wifi signal about 30 feet away from the router and separated by two to three walls is very slow and sometimes loses connection.

is this a router issue?

Mount the router as high and as centrally as you can. The signal from most wi-fi routers is a doughnut shape so there may be some deadspots. You can put an app on your phone (I use Wi-Fi Analyzer) and move around to determine best locations and channels. Also check the channels your neighbours' wi-fi are using and get away from those.

Last resort is to throw hardware at the problem before trying these no cost (or very low cost) solutions.
Jun 14, 2009
33 posts
4 upvotes
Try the 2.4ghz, it has better range than 5ghz but slower speed. For 5mbps max speed shouldn't have issues speed wise.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
if it has an antenna then move that around and see if that helps. That and different channels can help. If there is a large metal or pipes for water in the walls then you wont be happy no matter what you do.