Home & Garden

How to tell if hot water heater is a rental?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 1:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10647 posts
920 upvotes
Mississauga

How to tell if hot water heater is a rental?

Been in the new house for 1.5 years. Going through some documents and noticed it said that a rental hot water heater was included with the house. I remember speaking with the realtor and he confirmed with the previous homeowners that it wasn't a rental (at the time of purchasing the house)

I haven't recieved any mail regarding overdue payments.

Is there anyway to verify if it is a rental?

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4730 posts
4227 upvotes
Toronto
Look at your gas bill. Chances are it's being charged to you through the gas supplier.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1981 posts
1289 upvotes
Check your utility (gas, water, electricity) bills to see if the rental is in there.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10164 posts
4435 upvotes
Vaughan
Usually there is a sticker of company and 1-800 to call for service if it’s a rental.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15167 posts
6733 upvotes
Toronto, ON
teoconca wrote: Usually there is a sticker of company and 1-800 to call for service if it’s a rental.
The sticker would still be there if the original homeowner paid out the value of the rental tank to own the tank. Simplest to check the utility bill or just call the utility company to confirm.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10647 posts
920 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm with Enbridge (for gas) on equal billing. It just shows the amount I used in the past month and then the equal billing amount. No other lines or charges.

For hydro it doesn't list anything that says rental. Just usage/delivery charges (for water as well)

I assume that means I'm good?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9195 upvotes
The NORTH
Tijuana wrote: I'm with Enbridge (for gas) on equal billing. It just shows the amount I used in the past month and then the equal billing amount. No other lines or charges.

For hydro it doesn't list anything that says rental. Just usage/delivery charges (for water as well)

Sounds like your clear.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10164 posts
4435 upvotes
Vaughan
Tijuana wrote: I'm with Enbridge (for gas) on equal billing. It just shows the amount I used in the past month and then the equal billing amount. No other lines or charges.

Call the # on sticker to confirm.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5087 posts
1960 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…

Reliance as an example doesn't bill through Enbridge, they do they're own billing.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1955 posts
691 upvotes
ORLEANS
fergy wrote: Reliance as an example doesn't bill through Enbridge, they do they're own billing.
They do both
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
5130 posts
1598 upvotes
does it matter?
bizzyseller wrote: Check your utility (gas, water, electricity) bills to see if the rental is in there.
agree. There is separate page for rental equipment/charges. It was enercare company.

This is how I found out (years ago) I was charged $13.5 for wh. Which I checked was almost 23 years old and working properly.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5417 posts
3695 upvotes

Your probably good until they realize your name at the address that the tank is at to send you a invoice if it's a rental