• Feb 28th, 2020 1:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16793 posts
5379 upvotes
Toronto

How to test multimeter accuracy

I have a multimeter and wanted to see how accurate it is. I remember years ago there used to be these kits that you can set up that would be configured to different volts/ohms, etc. This way you can connect the leads of the multimeter to this board that was set to a specific voltage and see how far you were from it.

Would anyone know where these kits are available? Ideally, these kits should be reasonably accurate or else it is adding to the variance as well.

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7230 posts
1563 upvotes
Toronto
Get a multimeter that you trust, measure the voltage across a battery, then compare the readings with the multimeter you do not trust.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16793 posts
5379 upvotes
Toronto
toalan wrote: Get a multimeter that you trust, measure the voltage across a battery, then compare the readings with the multimeter you do not trust.
I just wanted to see how accurate my meter was before buying a second one.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20742 posts
14217 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
For DC voltage, you can buy voltage reference ICs which are basically voltage regulators where the voltage outputted is within a tight tolerance.

For resistance, you can buy precision value resistors that are accurate within 0.01%.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13449 posts
7707 upvotes
What are you measuring with it you are concerned about having a tight tolerance on it?

Could look into having a local lab calibrate it, and give a certification, but a multimeter runs $85 for a certification at the lab I use. Although we use multimeters $500-$2000 and have ISO to consider.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16793 posts
5379 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: What are you measuring with it you are concerned about having a tight tolerance on it?

Could look into having a local lab calibrate it, and give a certification, but a multimeter runs $85 for a certification at the lab I use. Although we use multimeters $500-$2000 and have ISO to consider.
I don't use the meter for mission critical stuff. Just testing batteries and other things around the house (non AC). I currently have this meter from 1999.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/please-s ... s-2356529/

I just wonder if it would be better to just get a Fluke 107, Greenlee DM-200A or EEVblog Brymen BM235 Multimeter. If I am going to upgrade my current MM, I figure getting something more accurate is ideal.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20742 posts
14217 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hightech wrote: Would you know from where?
Any local electronic component supply store in Toronto should have something similar. Since I'm in Vancouver, I can't help you there.