• Aug 24th, 2017 12:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 28, 2016
145 posts
20 upvotes

How to travel without a car

Hey

I'm looking at going to regina to check out a car and possibly drive it back. I'm in Ottawa. I checked with VIA Rail but the thing is there is not station in Regina, closest is Saskatoon and it's 300KM from there. Any ideas how to travel from Saskatoon to Regina without paying to much. Are buses still something popular?

If not, I could get a plane ticket, I believe it was around 300$ more expensive than train.
5 replies
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1419 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to take the train from Ottawa to Saskatoon, then take the bus from there to Regina. I'd probably just fly from Ottawa to Regina though - would save you so much time.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10638 posts
3308 upvotes
i doubt the train and bus are cheaper, every time i look at taking a train somewhere thinking it would be neat, the price makes me close the page a few minutes later.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14735 posts
10887 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hitchhike, the RFD way.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20944 posts
19225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I did some research...

You will need to take the train Ottawa to Toronto, then the Canadian Toronto to Saskatoon. The Canadian leaves Toronto @ 10 PM one day and arrives in Saskatoon @ just before 11 PM 2 days later (so in my sample Sept 7th to Sept 9th) the cost is $ 363.86 for the one way fare. Plus for all this you get a seat / chair (sleep / snooze upright) and any food / bevvys you buy are extra.

The STC bus service did shut down recently in Saskatchewan (maybe why you are asking this question) but both Greyhound & the newly formed Rider Express provide service. For the dates I used, Rider Express seems to offer the most direct routes & lowest cost @ around $ 50, but nothing until the morning of the 10th. So now you are probably adding on the cost of a Hotel Room.

By the time all is said & done you'll have spent 4 days on the exercise of getting to Regina, and over $ 500.

Given all that, I'd fly if this car is really that important to you

Personally, I'd probably look for a similar vehicle in Quebec or Ontario... Far less hassle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)