• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2021 5:51 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes

How to turn off a gas fireplace?

The gas fireplace is still quite hot despite not turned on. So I want to switch it off completely (i.e. no pilot).

So I look at the control panel, there are two knobs:

1. Off Pilot On
2. Lo Hi

I think the first controls the gas, and the other the heat/flame.

I think I only need to turn the first knob to OFF, however when I google on it there should also be a mechanic valve that I can turn 90 degree to shut off the entire gas line. However no matter where I look, I just can't find such valve on the gas line near the fireplace. So is it actually safe if I simply turn off the wall switch, then turn the knob to the off position?
a
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
If this is on the mainfloor, there is a higher chance that the gas valve is located in the basement ceiling below the room the fireplace is in. If not, just look along where you think the gas line would logically run to find the valve. It most likely tees off something in your furnace room to start.

Also, I should note, although it gives off minor heat, most people would recommend keeping the pilot light running. The $5 in gas you may spend on the pilot light is a lot cheaper and easier than having to deal with what happens when spiders move into your gas fireplace for the summer.
May 12, 2021
149 posts
70 upvotes
Pro tip: Turn it off then teach yourself how to light the pilot.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
Just turn the wall switch off (assume its already off) and the on/off knob under the fireplace. No need to move the lever to off whether its in the basement or under the fireplace. If you are going to turn it off, google how to clean the glass if its dirty/dusty/sooty. To turn the fireplace on, you will need to turn and hold down the ignition switch and turn the on/off to on - at least that's what I have to do with my fireplace.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)