How to verify G2 gas licence?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 8:02 pm
[OP]
Oct 31, 2016
36 posts
5 upvotes

How to verify G2 gas licence?

I am planning to install gasline for BBQ next week, got a quote from a gas fitter, he mentioned that he has G2 license, I am wondering if we have a way to verify it? For example, does G2 come as a card? just like driver's licence. If not, how can I verify this info?

Thanks a lot.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34937 posts
4251 upvotes
Winnipeg
usually the provincial association have a listing or directory of people with licenses, like my name is listed in the directory for my associations.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2016
36 posts
5 upvotes
divx wrote: usually the provincial association have a listing or directory of people with licenses, like my name is listed in the directory for my associations.
I used to use this site to search electrician's license, but it seems not having entry for gas fitter? It has license info for electrician and plumber though...

https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/public-register-search
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2485 posts
907 upvotes
Woodbridge
You can simply ask the technician to show his credentials. Valid G2 license (Gas) and TSSA contractor license are important and both are different.
JeffHill wrote: I am planning to install gasline for BBQ next week, got a quote from a gas fitter, he mentioned that he has G2 license, I am wondering if we have a way to verify it? For example, does G2 come as a card? just like driver's licence. If not, how can I verify this info?

Thanks a lot.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
[OP]
Oct 31, 2016
36 posts
5 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: You can simply ask the technician to show his credentials. Valid G2 license (Gas) and TSSA contractor license are important and both are different.
oh, I see, so these credentials should be like a paper issued by TSSA?
[OP]
Oct 31, 2016
36 posts
5 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: Thats correct. G2 license if bluish in color and TSSA contractors license if pinkish.
Got it, thank you so much.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2016
36 posts
5 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: Thats correct. G2 license if bluish in color and TSSA contractors license if pinkish.
btw, do you know if replacing air conditioner needs licence as well? if yes, is it the same kind of paper license as gas?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2485 posts
907 upvotes
Woodbridge
Good question. Not too many people care about the license when AC is installed. One must possess AC Lincense ( 313 D or 313 A ) and ODP cetificate.

JeffHill wrote: btw, do you know if replacing air conditioner needs licence as well? if yes, is it the same kind of paper license as gas?
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
[OP]
Oct 31, 2016
36 posts
5 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: Good question. Not too many people care about the license when AC is installed. One must possess AC Lincense ( 313 D or 313 A ) and ODP cetificate.
thumb up! thanks a lot.
Jul 20, 2012
685 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
JeffHill wrote: btw, do you know if replacing air conditioner needs licence as well? if yes, is it the same kind of paper license as gas?
Yes the ODP and the refrigeration license are plastic. I have all 3, including a gas license. The gas license and ODP have expiry dates. The refrigeration (313-A) license does not.
Your installer should have at least an ODP card.