• Mar 19th, 2019 4:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2013 posts
157 upvotes
York Region

how to view old thread

I try to click this link provided by one of the member on home and garden forum.

cost-basement-waterproofing-1112155/#p13848844

When I click that link it shows.

"Information
No posts exist inside this thread for the selected time frame."

I always have trouble viewing old thread, it there some settings I have to set to view old thread?
---- thanks
7 replies
Sep 27, 2003
10206 posts
2752 upvotes
Newmarket
I have no issues viewing the URL you provided.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2013 posts
157 upvotes
York Region
WorldIRC wrote: I have no issues viewing the URL you provided.
So what am I doing wrong?
This seems to happen maybe 2 or 3 years ago after the major update of this site. Before that, I have no problem viewing old thread either.
Are there some settings I can do in my account?

Please help.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4614 posts
2969 upvotes
Burnaby
tsatsa wrote: So what am I doing wrong?
This seems to happen maybe 2 or 3 years ago after the major update of this site. Before that, I have no problem viewing old thread either.
Are there some settings I can do in my account?

Please help.
Is the link at least taking you to the first page of the thread?

The link takes me to the first page of the thread and the post you are looking for is in the second page -- it's post #18 of that thread; my posts per page parameter is set to default (15 posts/page) in thread display options.

It's an outstanding quirk that's been reported many times. The workaround if you use a different setting for posts per page or if you are bookmarking specific posts is to make up a link yourself with an instruction like

Code: Select all

From your original link just take the thread id number (number at the end of the thread's abbreviated name inserted in the link) and the post id number (number after #p) 

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/cost-basement-waterproofing-1112155/#p13848844

and create a new link as shown:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/viewtopic.php?t=1112155&p=13848844

Just follow the syntax in the example above to create links that not depend on post-per-page setting (or thread page) for other threads (t=xxx) and posts (p=zzz)

Here's one of the several threads where this behavior has been reported and the suggestion of viewtopic.php as a workaround: Notification link redirect is incorrect!
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2013 posts
157 upvotes
York Region
aviador wrote:
Is the link at least taking you to the first page of the thread?

It's an outstanding quirk that's been reported many times. The workaround if you use a different setting for posts per page or if you are bookmarking specific posts is to make up a link yourself with an instruction like
First, thank you for your help!!!

This is what it displays when I click on the link
"Information

Others on the thread told me they have no problem viewing the link, that is why is it something to do with my account setting
Sorry, I am a senior and a noob when it comes to the computer, I only know to use one.
------thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4614 posts
2969 upvotes
Burnaby
tsatsa wrote: First, thank you for your help!!!

This is what it displays when I click on the link
"Information

Others on the thread told me they have no problem viewing the link, that is why is it something to do with my account setting
Sorry, I am a senior and a noob when it comes to the computer, I only know to use one.
------thanks
Found one instance of the same error prompt. In that case it turned out that the member reporting the error had his preferences to only display threads from the last 3 months and not from the beginning. Here's a quote of his post:
@TomRFD I just figured out what was happening, and I owe you and RFD an apology!

Turns out my preferences were set to only display threads and posts for the last "3 months" rather than "beginning" and "all". Everything looks great now that I revised those preferences. Thanks for providing me with the clue to solve this issue that has been so frustrating. I do recall that some of my former preference were altered with the upgrade and I must have chosen these in err or perhaps these were roll-out defaults. All is well again!

Keep up the great work!!
Source: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/welcome ... #p27174049

====

Try this:

Go to https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php ... &mode=view and compare your settings with the one on the image attached. Write down your current settings (as a precaution) and then change those preferences to the default values shown in the image attached. Save your changes clicking on the blue button and then try again using the link you are having problems with. If this doesn't work, then restore your preferences to the values you have initially (if you so wish).

RFD-Thread-Display-Options-default_values.JPG
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2013 posts
157 upvotes
York Region
aviador wrote: Found one instance of the same error prompt. In that case it turned out that the member reporting the error had his preferences to only display threads from the last 3 months and not from the beginning. Here's a quote of his post:

Source: welcome-new-rfd-forums-post-your-questi ... #p27174049

====

Try this:

Go to ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view and compare your settings with the one on the image attached. Write down your current settings (as a precaution) and then change those preferences to the default values shown in the image attached. Save your changes clicking on the blue button and then try again using the link you are having problems with. If this doesn't work, then restore your preferences to the values you have initially (if you so wish).

RFD-Thread-Display-Options-default_values.JPG
aviador
You are an angel, I change the setting as you have shown and the link works now. ---- thank you, thank you.
You have made me a happier old noob today.
RFD should have left those settings as default, like before the upgrade.