Shopping Discussion

How is it that Walmart.ca is so terrible?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2018 6:18 pm
[OP]
Mar 11, 2018
31 posts
20 upvotes

How is it that Walmart.ca is so terrible?

I placed an order online and walmart split it into two shipments. One of them got to me fine (a $1.97 bottle of cooking oil), the other (a random assortment of household items) got lost in transit (what the tracking info shows) or returned to the warehouse (what the customer service chat agent told me).

I was supposed to be refunded for the items that did not arrive, to the tune of $27.69. On 4/13/18 I was refunded $20.95, so I brought it up again and was apologized to and then told they’d fix it and I’d get the remaining $6.74 refunded to me in a couple of days.

A couple of days have now come and gone and I see a refund for only $2.77. Meaning that this is (a) now the 3rd time I’ve had to bring this up, not counting all the times I inquired about my order and got told to just wait longer, and (b) still wrong. They still owe me $3.97.

I don’t understand why this is so difficult to get right. The numbers I’m being refunded seem completely arbitrary. It's just shady AF. I shouldn't need to double check their math to make sure everything was calculated correctly and I'm not being screwed over. I know the saying "don't attribute to malice what you could attribute to incompetence," but at a certain point if these problems are so persistent, that's system design not human error.

Also on my order history they logged the items as returned several days before I reached out to inquire about them, but they did not think to start refunding me until after I complained. I wonder how much walmart profits from people who either don't complain and people who don't double check that the refund amount is correct.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5649 posts
7008 upvotes
Email to Bonni.Poch@walmart.com if you don't get it right in few days

I have no idea how can a big company having an amateur ordering system. Now, I only place one order per 2 to 3 months from Walmart. I will never use their subscription again as it sucks. The subscription order can disappear without any reason and their CSR is helpless and has no authority to made any proper adjustment or changes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8537 posts
2211 upvotes
I havent had any particular problem with orders, but the difference I notice vs amzn is how beat up the boxes arrive. Sometimes they've obviously been retaped or massively taped to hold together a destroyed box. Its a real mess when a caton of soup in the box gets split open!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5649 posts
7008 upvotes
If the soup leaks and create a mess to other products in the same package, and you cannot recover them, you should entitle for the refund or resend the product. In the past, it won't happen, but I notice Amazon is putting more and more heavy items within the same package. The package tape basically cannot sustain the weight if the package goes through different stages of sorting and transportation. If the transportation is within short distance, it seems fine.
zoro69 wrote: I havent had any particular problem with orders, but the difference I notice vs amzn is how beat up the boxes arrive. Sometimes they've obviously been retaped or massively taped to hold together a destroyed box. Its a real mess when a caton of soup in the box gets split open!