Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How will the future of business in Canada be different from the past?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2020 6:21 pm
[OP]
Dec 10, 2020
1 posts

Hello all!
I'm currently in my first semester of business admin and need to write a "reflection" paper for my final exam. I'm genuinely not being lazy here! I, for the life of me cannot think of a general answer to this question:

I'm only asking for interpretations and of course I will not be directly copying your interpretations, I only want some help brainstorming some suggestions. All help and input is greatly appreciated! Once I finish my paper I'll even upload it after it's been submitted! The course is Intro to Business in Canada, thanks!
11 replies
Apr 27, 2016
20 posts
7 upvotes
There is no reason why it should be different unless this combined scam-demic and climate-change agenda exist to force a change for political / ideological reasons that otherwise would not have happened under a true libertarian / free-market society and economy.

The BLM / SJW movement is funamentally marxist and their bedrock or core goal is to bring about the end of capitalism (that's not my opinion - the founders of the BLM movement are on recorded as stating that). So you can put that in your thesis that if things continue to go that way that our future will be back to business and economy of the former Soviet Union of decades ago. Central banks continue to distort financial markets with cheap money that allows zombie companies to exist, running on nothing but debt, having zero or negative cash flow for years.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8350 posts
4308 upvotes
S0meGuy wrote: There is no reason why it should be different unless this combined scam-demic and climate-change agenda exist to force a change for political / ideological reasons that otherwise would not have happened under a true libertarian / free-market society and economy.

The BLM / SJW movement is funamentally marxist and their bedrock or core goal is to bring about the end of capitalism (that's not my opinion - the founders of the BLM movement are on recorded as stating that). So you can put that in your thesis that if things continue to go that way that our future will be back to business and economy of the former Soviet Union of decades ago. Central banks continue to distort financial markets with cheap money that allows zombie companies to exist, running on nothing but debt, having zero or negative cash flow for years.
Wow...that is a lot of food for thought. I have heard a lot of people reject this type of information altogether but, that aside, if it were to be pushed, do you think the Canadian population would support this agenda?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2707 posts
2354 upvotes
Technoking
Businesses in the future will run on barter of exchanges...my chicken for your iphone...
To the moon
Apr 2, 2020
191 posts
73 upvotes
I predict that once the pandemic is over more people will continue to work from home. This will drastically affect the commercial real estate market and as well will alter downtown traffic.
Apr 27, 2016
20 posts
7 upvotes
Pronoia wrote: I predict that once the pandemic is over more people will continue to work from home. This will drastically affect the commercial real estate market and as well will alter downtown traffic.
If your "work" can be done over a wire then I predict you will be replaced with bots / AI. I've also read where the productivity of this "work" leaves a lot to be desired.
Banned
Jul 10, 2020
177 posts
160 upvotes
S0meGuy wrote: If your "work" can be done over a wire then I predict you will be replaced with bots / AI. I've also read where the productivity of this "work" leaves a lot to be desired.
100% agree.

Actually @Pronoia I think it's a huge myth that people are more efficient at home.
Yes, you save time on the commute to work, but really, you just get distracted at home by other things... And really, the big push for working from home by all these people is cause A) they are saving money on commute B) they want to be able to go out during the day and not do work.

Don't believe me?
Have you been to a Costco during the pandemic - between Monday- Fri : 9am-5pm?
It's a GOD DAMN ZOO... It's started to normalize a bit now, but back between April - August, any time I would try to get out to a Costco on a Mon-Friday, there were lines all day.... Before COVId, if I went to a costco at 10am on a Tuesday it was dead.

The Work From Home is over hyped. And, the biggest reality is most people won't be employed if a WFH model like the one we are experience right now continues.. Cities exist to bring people together. They have done this for millennia. It's human nature to move into cities... Minds meeting minds, people meeting, social interaction is really what drives all of these wheels.

Also, Amazon and Shopify have just leased out HUGE HUGE AMOUNTS OF SQ FT in DT Toronto.. wonder why...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8350 posts
4308 upvotes
If you had a business and you hired employees, would you feel like you were getting better value and results by having your staff work from home or in the office, assuming that there is no pandemic? Some people are more productive with less distractions and might produce more working from home but my personal experience has been that when people are working from home, they are doing many things besides working. And it is easy to be less disciplined when you are not at work.

When one has to follow a routine, get up, get dressed, show up, this takes effort and it also prepares one mentally and physically for the work day. On the other hand, while lounging around in pj's is more comfortable, I feel that it might lend itself to a casual work day that is not nearly as productive for many.

If the work from home model is to succeed for employers in the long run, it might mean that we move away from paying people for their time but now pay them for results. This way the employer does not have to worry about whether employees are putting in the full work day and they can just pay for outcomes.
Apr 2, 2020
191 posts
73 upvotes
Also, I predict there will be way less corporate travel going forward. Why fly an employee across the country, pay for an expensive hotel and all of their meals and entertainment when a zoom meeting can accomplish the same thing?
Jun 14, 2018
946 posts
1033 upvotes
I'm sure these two things were mentioned very early in your course:

- Globalization
- Technology

Focus on these two things in your paper and you'll be fine. If you need any more help than this from us, then you're doomed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8350 posts
4308 upvotes
Pronoia wrote: Also, I predict there will be way less corporate travel going forward. Why fly an employee across the country, pay for an expensive hotel and all of their meals and entertainment when a zoom meeting can accomplish the same thing?
Yes, this should have been the case even before COVID. Especially with government officials who spend a handsome portion of taxpayers' dime wining and dining at the finest luxury hotels, attending world conferences on how to spend more of taxpayers' money, all while skipping out on duties that need immediate attention at home. The government, in theory, should be saving tons of money at home now that we are all grounded. One would think.

If people need to collaborate, we have the technology to allow this without needing expensive and, often inconvenient, travel. Time is precious and less time travelled means more time to spend on other more important things.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1766 posts
797 upvotes
Ontario
Now that the taps have been opened for every business going (not just the Bombardiers) there will be a sense of entitlement for more of the same.