• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2021 11:20 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5691 posts
3447 upvotes

How are you cleaning your grill?

I understand the safety concerns with the old wire brushes , but These new plastic bristle brushes are garbage.

How are you all cleaning you grill in between uses?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9684 posts
3251 upvotes
fdl wrote: I understand the safety concerns with the old wire brushes , but These new plastic bristle brushes are garbage.

How are you all cleaning you grill in between uses?
"new" brushes. Stay clear of any brushes. Wood scrapper and maybe some crumpled aluminum foil. If they get really dirty I scrub them with an sos pad in the utility tub.

Once done apply a touch of oil
The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly, the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask. -Peter Drucker
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20625 posts
7719 upvotes
Socially Distanced
The wood scraper is sufficient.
The secret is to clean it after each use or before you relight the BBQ. Food residue doesn't bake onto the grill until its cooled then reheated to high temps.

If you start with a clean grate then religiously clean it after you use it and before you relight the BBQ then you will be much happier.

Religiously. Do not break the streak.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5829 posts
240 upvotes
GTA
I still use the old wire brushes. After I'm done I get a soaking wet paper towel with tongues and wipe them down, then I get paper towel with oil and re-lube my 23 yr old cast iron grills.

Never a problem all these years...
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5842 posts
4138 upvotes
sunnybono wrote: I still use the old wire brushes. After I'm done I get a soaking wet paper towel with tongues and wipe them down, then I get paper towel with oil and re-lube my 23 yr old cast iron grills.

Same here. Wire brush that I soak in water. I brush the grilles while they are still hot, right after I cooked. Wipe with a clean paper towel and wipe with oily paper towel. I do find metal bristles in the tub when I clean it, but never had issues with bristles in food.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16636 posts
13959 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
blexann wrote: "new" brushes. Stay clear of any brushes. Wood scrapper and maybe some crumpled aluminum foil. If they get really dirty I scrub them with an sos pad in the utility tub.

Once done apply a touch of oil
This

We too have moved to a wood scraper ... after a close encounter with a wire brush bristle ... aka NEEDLE

It was a lucky miss, that it was caught while chewing and not swallowed.

Was enough to convince us to change methods

As @Quentin5 says the trick is being consistent in your cleaning ... got to do it EVERYTIME

Also oiling the grill is helpful before cooking.

We too occasionally take out the grills and give them a thorough soak, scrub & rinse.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20625 posts
7719 upvotes
Socially Distanced
PointsHubby wrote: This

We too have moved to a wood scraper ... after a close encounter with a wire brush bristle ... aka NEEDLE

It was a lucky miss, that it was caught while chewing and not swallowed.

Was enough to convince us to change methods

As @Quentin5 says the trick is being consistent in your cleaning ... got to do it EVERYTIME

Also oiling the grill is helpful before cooking.
I have found oiling to be a mixed bag, a spray of Pam seems to help sticking only slightly while causing flameup.
We too occasionally take out the grills and give them a thorough soak, scrub & rinse.
Good idea.
One can also soak the grill for a couple hours in water and pressure wash it.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2420 posts
371 upvotes
North York
Picked up a welding brush, on year 3 of it. Works well and the bristles are big, so they are big and hard to miss. I'll likely get a new one next year.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45626 posts
6091 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sunnybono wrote: I still use the old wire brushes. After I'm done I get a soaking wet paper towel with tongues and wipe them down, then I get paper towel with oil and re-lube my 23 yr old cast iron grills.

Only needs to happen once...

Wood scraper over here as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2381 posts
3245 upvotes
Light grill
When hot, scrape with wood scraper then spray with vegetable oil
Cook food
When done shut off gas, close burners, close lid

Repeat next time.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1548 posts
1687 upvotes
West GTA
Nylon bristle brushes work great for me. I use it immediately before grilling, followed by a generous application of peanut oil in a spritzer. Food doesn't really stick much, so the grills stay fairly clean. If you do have issues where your grills are a total mess due to neglect, just run it on max with the lid down for a while after grilling and it'll eventually burn the gunk to carbon. Once cool you can get it off easily.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1345 posts
669 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Method likely depends on what grill you have.

With Cast Iron you want to season the metal, with Stainless Steel you probably want to clean it to a shine each time.

I have cast iron and do it the same way @13inches does it. Quick scrape after it’s hot to get rid of the big bits, quick wipe of oil (if food isn’t fatty) and good to go.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5829 posts
240 upvotes
GTA
I decided to call Canadian BBQ Boys. They can't make it out until July 28th. I have a 20+ yr old Weber Genesis 1100 that I want a deep clean. Cost is $199 and lets see how it turns out!!!
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1111 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
What is a good process for a deep clean? Broil king has a video as does Weber but a friend mentioned pressure washing everything… anyone else try this?
JS
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1910 posts
1420 upvotes
GTA West
I have a Weber with cast iron grids that have triangular elements. I use a cheap Richards window scraper to clean the flat sides of the elements and it works really well. I also use it to scrape grease from under the lid and the sides of the aluminum chassis. I have it under the BBQ and I also have one inside that is only used on the glass cooktop. I get the cheap replacement blades from Amazon.

https://www.rona.ca/en/richard-scraper- ... lsrc=aw.ds

I also have a brush with natural bristles - I'm not sure what they are made from, but it is holding up pretty well. It works better than the old wire ones that seemed to mat down quickly after use.

When the grill was new, I used to burn off grease and debris by running it on high for a time, but that seems so wasteful of gas. I rarely do that now. And I don't think that grids need to be pristine. A thin coating of grease prevents ever having rust.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Jun 18th, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1592 posts
4008 upvotes
Before it's hot, I scrape of the bigger stuff with a metal spatula then the fine stuff off with a nylon brush. I use charcoal so everything that falls in the pit is burned away before i put food on. If i want to really clean out the whole thing (kamado) I do a "clean burn".