• Sep 7th, 2017 4:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1339 upvotes
Toronto, ON

How Your Engine's Oil System Works

Here’s how the engine oil system works to lubricate the moving parts in your car’s engine. Here I demonstrate it on a 2001 Toyota Corolla 1ZZ-FE VVT-i engine.

Here’s what the oil pump looks like from the outside. Its driven off the crankshaft and takes oil from the pickup tube.

The oil pump acts like a centrifugal rotatory pump with a built in pressure regulator:
From the pump the oil heads to the filter. Here I cut an OEM Toyota filter open.
Paper filter, by pass valve and anti-drain back valve:
The oil then goes to lubricate the crankshaft, and connecting rods through holes drilled into the crank shaft.
The connecting rods have a small hole on the outside of the forging that squirts oil onto the piston walls and the connecting rod bushing at the top:

Next up the oil travels to the head where it lubricates the camshafts and VVT-I gear:

Here I cut open a camshaft:

Its actually hollow and easy to cut:

Finally after making its way through the oil system the oil drains back to the sump. Here I cut the oil pan open:

And you can see where the drain plug is, slightly higher than the bottom. Thus it’s a good idea to tilt the car back when changing oil.

And that’s pretty much the basics of engine oil lubrication on a 4 cylinder engine.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16677 posts
15032 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Man I know the corolla more intimately than I do my wife! Like I've never seen her insides like this lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1339 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EP32k2 wrote: Man I know the corolla more intimately than I do my wife! Like I've never seen her insides like this lol
Haha, I like the way you put it! But yes, my exploration of this car gets down to the nitty gritty on the internals and I got a couple more "investigations" to conduct.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6304 posts
343 upvotes
Scarborough
I love watching these videos, always so informative :)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1781 posts
460 upvotes
TORONTO
Keep up the great videos! Btw awesome corolla convertible.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12335 posts
6901 upvotes
Brampton
OP I love your videos I happened to be looking for tips on change Toyota Trans fluid and found a slew of your videos.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3645 posts
1188 upvotes
Edmonton
speedkar9 wrote:
The oil pump acts like a centrifugal rotatory pump with a built in pressure regulator:
I have a problem with this, its not a centrifugal pump as its not a volute/diffuser.

And its also not a "rotatory" pump, I guess its could sort of count as a rotary pump but the proper name would be gerotor.

source: I work with lots of pumps at work
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8