Health & Wellness

How was your visit at the dentist

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4019 posts
2568 upvotes

How was your visit at the dentist

I was shocked at what this gizmo during my trip to the dentist. I highly doubt it scientifically proven to work.
Your thoughts?
Images
  • mmexport1595085126469.jpg
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4232 posts
1334 upvotes
Aerosol suction device ? If they put it right beside the area of operation it'll suck in all the fine aerosol. That's what scientists are worry about with regards to Covid transmission, the really fine aerosol that can travel distances >2m. By reducing it around the source it should drop the risk of transmission, by how many % ... who knows, but the concept makes sense. The device most probably have a HEPA filter/UV light combo in there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4019 posts
2568 upvotes
coilz wrote: Aerosol suction device ? If they put it right beside the area of operation it'll suck in all the fine aerosol. That's what scientists are worry about with regards to Covid transmission, the really fine aerosol that can travel distances >2m. By reducing it around the source it should drop the risk of transmission, by how many % ... who knows, but the concept makes sense. The device most probably have a HEPA filter/UV light combo in there.
Yes it does say hepa on the device but realistically how can the dentist do his artistic work with this covering my face? I think still there will be fine aerosol that will not get sucked. Instead fine aerosol stuck on his gloves, sleeves, picks, the room, etc....
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4232 posts
1334 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: Yes it does say hepa on the device but realistically how can the dentist do his artistic work with this covering my face? I think still there will be fine aerosol that will not get sucked. Instead fine aerosol stuck on his gloves, sleeves, picks, the room, etc....
It'll be placed next to your mouth/face not interfering with the field of view of the dentist obviously. It's like putting a fan next to you instead of right in front of you. You affect the air flow around the immediate vicinity of the aerosol source, get it before it spreads. Of course it'll not be 100% since nothing is "perfect", but the hope is there is a significant enough reduction. If it's stuck on an object it's no longer an aerosol. That's why the dentist change gloves, change and sterilize all used instruments , spray disinfectant and wipe down surfaces between patients. Some jurisdiction is mandating " settling" time after appointments for aerosols to settle between using each room, the thinking behind it is you wait for the aerosol to fall down with time and gravity and then you can disinfect the surface it lands on. But it's mostly via common sense/logical thinking and not peer review research since Covid aerosol travel/transmission is still new and peer review data is lacking right now. I am sure in a few months/years there will be more and more articles and data coming out with respect to covid aerosol transmission.

Will all these combine to 100% eliminate the chance of possible covid/disease transmission, probably not, since nothing is 100% certain. It's between what's economically feasible and realistically possible to lower the risk enough so things will keep running.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
11287 posts
2286 upvotes
Anyone know where can we get more information about this equipment? I think it will work.
cristianosham wrote: I was shocked at what this gizmo during my trip to the dentist. I highly doubt it scientifically proven to work.
Your thoughts?
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one even after you are fully vaccinated.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4019 posts
2568 upvotes
82 wrote: Anyone know where can we get more information about this equipment? I think it will work.
I am still skeptical, ever experience when they blast air or clean your teeth all this aerosol stuff just explodes like a grenade everywhere. So the suction has to overcome it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4232 posts
1334 upvotes
82 wrote: Anyone know where can we get more information about this equipment? I think it will work.
It's purpose is to suck in fine aerosol the type that floats and travels, big splatter is... big.. so it drops to the ground right away. It's true none of these are certified by any regulatory bodies, or have any data that it'll work. Its more via common sense and logical thinking that if you suck in the fine mist aerosol, you eliminate it from traveling around. Offers a peace of mind too.

Here's a link to a machine that looks similar.
https://www.vaniman.com/product/gold-mo ... l-suction/

edit: you tube video of the ad for product :
Banned
User avatar
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
Pretty cool technology! My dentist doesn’t have this... yet I pay a lot of moola for a cleaning Face With Rolling Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1075 posts
926 upvotes
Our insurance has notified us that any covid extra charges the dentist bills us will NOT be covered. They have had ZERO dental or health or travel claims for more than 6 months, no refunds, and yet they have the balls to not cover extra ppe charges. There is so much they don't cover it's hardly worth the premium as it is.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4461 posts
3472 upvotes
Vancouver
George613 wrote: Our insurance has notified us that any covid extra charges the dentist bills us will NOT be covered. They have had ZERO dental or health or travel claims for more than 6 months, no refunds, and yet they have the balls to not cover extra ppe charges. There is so much they don't cover it's hardly worth the premium as it is.
Which provider is that?
Member
Jan 18, 2014
209 posts
14 upvotes
Anyone went to see the dentist for a cleaning recently? How was the experience?
Thanks.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
investnewbie wrote: Anyone went to see the dentist for a cleaning recently? How was the experience?
Thanks.
was pretty much standard. Wear the mask everywhere except on the chair.
Then make you rinse your mouse with peroxide. That's all.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2226 posts
577 upvotes
In Hiding
- stop at door, reception comes to take temperature
- had to answer Covid-19 questions and sign off doc
- I waited while standing, didn't want to sit on chairs
- all staff had mask and face shield
- taken to room, given hand sanitiser, peroxide rinse
- mask off, examination, mask back on
- kept my safety glasses on
- mask off, had 2 fillings with minimum suction
- quick rinse into disposable cup
- mask back on and leave to pay
- noticed only 2 rooms were occupied
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 9, 2012
1816 posts
297 upvotes
Pluto
It was alright but they are trying to get me to do twice as many cleanings in a year now vs before, which is annoying because I never have cavities etc and my teeth are always fine. No need for too many cleanings except to empty my pocket book.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1005 posts
684 upvotes
GTA
Catnippy wrote: - stop at door, reception comes to take temperature
- had to answer Covid-19 questions and sign off doc
- I waited while standing, didn't want to sit on chairs
- all staff had mask and face shield
- taken to room, given hand sanitiser, peroxide rinse
- mask off, examination, mask back on
- kept my safety glasses on
- mask off, had 2 fillings with minimum suction
- quick rinse into disposable cup
- mask back on and leave to pay
- noticed only 2 rooms were occupied
Very similar experience.

Dentist also had the air suction machine, HEPA machine, and plastic sheeting on the computer, keyboard, and the overhead lamp.

I wore latex gloves and a hoody zipped up during cleaning. Prior to re-entering the car, took off hoody, flipped if inside out and stuffed it into a bag.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1977 posts
1448 upvotes
Montreal, QC
investnewbie wrote: Anyone went to see the dentist for a cleaning recently? How was the experience?
Thanks.
For me, it was pretty standard EXCEPT
1) face mask was required to enter and to keep it on at all times while waiting
2) asked to use hand sanitizer after entering
3) they took my temperature when I entered and asked me questions about my current health (fever, coughing, loss of taste, etc.) and any recent travel
4) no one was in the waiting room (normally there is at least one person/family waiting at my dentist's office when I've shown up in the past)
5) was given something to rinse my mouth at the beginning of the appointment and told not to use the sink to spit it out in but to use the cup
6) they turned on what appeared to be some air filtration system in the actual examination room while I was there
7) when scheduling my 6 month follow-up cleaning while I was paying my bill, the availability times were more restrictive (probably in order to be sure that the earlier patient left prior to me showing up and that they could do a proper/better cleaning)

After the cleaning, used the sink to wipe any blood from the front of my face/mouth and put my face mask back on and went to the front to pay and schedule my next appointment
Last edited by lmcjipo on Oct 21st, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1977 posts
1448 upvotes
Montreal, QC
George613 wrote: Our insurance has notified us that any covid extra charges the dentist bills us will NOT be covered. They have had ZERO dental or health or travel claims for more than 6 months, no refunds, and yet they have the balls to not cover extra ppe charges. There is so much they don't cover it's hardly worth the premium as it is.
Spinner wrote:
Which provider is that?
TomDrake81 wrote: Thumbs Up Sign name & shame
I believe that my work insurance wouldn't cover an COVID-19 extra charges if it appeared in my dentists' bill as well since the coverage only applies to certain dental procedures and their costs and doesn't cover things which aren't considered dental procedures.

Since my dentist didn't charge anything "extra" on the bill specifically related to COVID-19 additional safety measures (but I noticed the bill was higher due to the increase in price for the dental procedures), nothing really changed for me.

Since I don't have any definite proof that my work insurance won't cover it but highly suspect that they wouldn't, there is no point in me naming them.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1075 posts
926 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: I believe that my work insurance wouldn't cover an COVID-19 extra charges if it appeared in my dentists' bill as well since the coverage only applies to certain dental procedures and their costs and doesn't cover things which aren't considered dental procedures.

Since my dentist didn't charge anything "extra" on the bill specifically related to COVID-19 additional safety measures (but I noticed the bill was higher due to the increase in price for the dental procedures), nothing really changed for me.

Since I don't have any definite proof that my work insurance won't cover it but highly suspect that they wouldn't, there is no point in me naming them.
Our dental insurance only covers things according to some fee schedule that is from years ago hence they always underpay based on their own schedule not on what we actually pay.

If the dentist charges x for a procedure our insurance pays 80% of y regardless of what we paid. The other 20% is our copay. On major restorative it is only 50% and again is always a lot less than half of what we actually paid. Such a scam.

Top