Food & Drink

How's everyone's UberEat/SkipTheDishes experience since the pandemic?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2020 5:43 pm
Tags:

Poll: How's everyone's UberEat/SkipTheDishes experience since the pandemic?

• Total votes: 32. You have voted on this poll.
Better than before. Quality or Quantity has gone up

22%
Same. No difference

63%
Quality and/or Quantity has gone down.

16%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4743 posts
1161 upvotes
Scarborough

How's everyone's UberEat/SkipTheDishes experience since the pandemic?

How's everyone's experience with food delivery since their dine in option has been closed. Has the quality of the food gone down and has the service of the drivers gone down or stayed the same?
30 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45136 posts
8173 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Terrible.
Kinton ramen screwed up my order twice.

I ordered 2 bowls of ramen with extra pork.

They completely forgot one bowl. & the one bowl they did deliver... only had the single serving of pork not extra.

So i sent a complaint and they gave me a $50 credit... more then covers both meals.
So i ordered the 2nd bowl that was missing... this time they forgot the seasoned egg!!!
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Apr 1st, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1386 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
Same as before

Edit: I should say better than before since some places are throwing in free items with my order
Jun 17, 2018
263 posts
537 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote: Same as before

Edit: I should say better than before since some places are throwing in free items with my order
Only one restaurant sent me a free item. But the significant difference is that on the last two weekends, Uber had a decent promo discount in addition to no delivery fee. That made the meals much more affordable.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6141 posts
2201 upvotes
There are much more deals than usual, coming from the restaurants directly eg 30% off, etc. I'm not comparing to the time people were killing Skip with signing up for 10 accounts to get $15 or whatever it was (don't remember). These food apps already take 30% from the total from the restaurant, so restaurants are really hurting right now, just doing anything they can to try to cover costs &/or stay open. Some places have just closed down, not getting enough business from delivery/takeout to justify staying open. Staff/servers are trying their best, but I see many restaurants where its just 1 person cooking & I think they are perhaps having trouble keeping track of everything.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1378 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
Just started to use them. No complaints - as expected for a food delivery service
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8344 posts
5156 upvotes
Toronto
We've been eating entirely home cooked since March 13th and miss dining out and takeout so much. Eating out a few times a week has always been part of our livelihood. I would love to order some takeout and support my favorite restaurants but we can't shake the anxiety and paranoia of bringing the virus home.

How are you guys dealing with risks of takeout? It's one thing to bring home groceries as you can handle with gloves, wipe down packaging, leave stuff alone for a day or two to minimize risk but with takeout, you have to trust eating something that was handled and delivered within an hour which concerns me
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1386 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: We've been eating entirely home cooked since March 13th and miss dining out and takeout so much. Eating out a few times a week has always been part of our livelihood. I would love to order some takeout and support my favorite restaurants but we can't shake the anxiety and paranoia of bringing the virus home.

How are you guys dealing with risks of takeout? It's one thing to bring home groceries as you can handle with gloves, wipe down packaging, leave stuff alone for a day or two to minimize risk but with takeout, you have to trust eating something that was handled and delivered within an hour which concerns me
I haven't been doing anything different with the way I handle takeout. I've been eating straight out of the container like usual.
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2008
1046 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
same but i like how more and more restaurants are joining ubereats now.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2124 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Since UberEats take like 30% and I can drive, I've made it my policy to call and order directly via the phone. That way more of the money goes toward these local shops and I end up paying less. It's been pretty good so far, been getting takeout almost every other day at this point.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6141 posts
2201 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: We've been eating entirely home cooked since March 13th and miss dining out and takeout so much. Eating out a few times a week has always been part of our livelihood. I would love to order some takeout and support my favorite restaurants but we can't shake the anxiety and paranoia of bringing the virus home.

Ive heard some people say they take the food out of the packaging & put it onto a plate, microwave for maybe 30 seconds. Then wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8344 posts
5156 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote: Ive heard some people say they take the food out of the packaging & put it onto a plate, microwave for maybe 30 seconds. Then wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds
Is it facts that microwaves kill the Covid? Good to know if true but I don't understand how people are comfortably ordering sushi, burgers etc
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20079 posts
4621 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I used Uber Eats for the first time due to the coronavirus.
The car on the app was totally different than what the delivery man was actually driving. The app showed a Dodge Caravan, but it was actually a Honda Civic.

The experience was fine, my order was right.

Seems pretty expensive for what you get, though.
- casual gastronomist -
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
IBOPM wrote: Since UberEats take like 30% and I can drive, I've made it my policy to call and order directly via the phone. That way more of the money goes toward these local shops and I end up paying less. It's been pretty good so far, been getting takeout almost every other day at this point.
Ubereats was waving the fee, their cut, to allow all the money to go to the restaurant to support them, or maybe this is only in the U.S.?
Dec 8, 2015
300 posts
150 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote: I used Uber Eats for the first time due to the coronavirus.
The car on the app was totally different than what the delivery man was actually driving. The app showed a Dodge Caravan, but it was actually a Honda Civic.

The experience was fine, my order was right.

Seems pretty expensive for what you get, though.

Uber and Skip are okay but avoid Door Dash, their fees are outrageous.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8408 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Terrible.
Kinton ramen screwed up my order twice.

I've experienced this twice myself, i stopped ordering there as a result
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45136 posts
8173 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
belowzeros wrote: I've experienced this twice myself, i stopped ordering there as a result
I like the food though...
I hate when places with good food have bad service!
Thing is... i always had good service dining in.
Ironically... the mistakes they made when i dined in , were to my favor.
Like one time they gave an extra beer!
Apr 18, 2017
732 posts
590 upvotes

That is relatively true but I’ve noticed a lot of places have upped their cleanliness and handle the food with care; even fast food like McD. I would trust it, depending on the restaurants.
Apr 23, 2006
217 posts
22 upvotes
Scarborough
Used Door Dash and Uber Eats about 4 times in total so far during this. California Sandwich messed up my order on 1 sandwich, got a full credit for it. Other than that, no issues at all