[Microsoft Store] HP ENVY Notebook 13-d099nr Signature Edition Laptop

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2021 4:23 pm
[OP]
Apr 19, 2016
5 posts
4 upvotes

[Microsoft Store] HP ENVY Notebook 13-d099nr Signature Edition Laptop

$300 off right now + 10% student/teacher discount, some specs are i7 6th gen, QHD display, 256g ssd, aluminum chassis!
Images
14 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1762 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
The spec wise it is really good for the price.
I am not not too sure about HP laptop build qualities, I never used them before. Reviews seem very mixed.

I am hoping there are more sales come "back to school" time in mid summer. (XPS 13/razor blade stealth)
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1101 posts
80 upvotes
often time you can't apply the 10% student / teacher discount on discounted product.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1138 posts
445 upvotes
Montreal
last_sd wrote: The spec wise it is really good for the price.
I am not not too sure about HP laptop build qualities, I never used them before. Reviews seem very mixed.

I am hoping there are more sales come "back to school" time in mid summer. (XPS 13/razor blade stealth)
Built quality must be good, according to the reviews. It's more stability and software that is questionable. And that's what prevents me from pulling the trigger.
koft wrote: often time you can't apply the 10% student / teacher discount on discounted product.
Yes, you can. I tried it.
Apr 11, 2003
686 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
ALL Vendors use ODM (original design manufacturers) to build their laptops, and they vary by models. So "HP" build quality doesn't really exist, as much as Quanta and other's. Also from year to year they change, which is why the quality changes.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
3049 posts
2936 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wish it was 15in ... 13.3 in is small.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28919 posts
9422 upvotes
I am not not too sure about HP laptop build qualities, I never used them before.
The mainstream/consumer models I've used? They're really, really bad. Used one which was basically the worst I remember ever using in a laptop. However, that was a Pavilion and this is an Envy. Don't think I've used one that looks like this so can't say for sure. Def. stay away from Pavilions though. You can tap the edge of the top base (keyboard area) of one of them and the entire screen will resonate as if you pressed on the screen somewhere (you see patterns in the LCD). Never seen a laptop that flimsy, ever.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1395 posts
2143 upvotes
Toronto :)
Had 3 HPs in my life, all broke shortly after 1 yr (after warranty)- heating issues. Never again.
Deals never wait for people, only people wait for deals.
Buy now, think later.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1595 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
zumi78878 wrote: Had 3 HPs in my life, all broke shortly after 1 yr (after warranty)- heating issues. Never again.
Seconded. I owned 3 hp's as well. 2 personal and 1 business elitebook. The 2 personal laptops all had various issues that eventually killed them. I treat my stuff well so it's not like I was abusing them. The elitebook was awesome though, good build quality and was a workhorse up until I gave it back to the company. So maybe there is a difference between the quality of elitebooks vs personal.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7369 posts
466 upvotes
Port Moody
carmageddon wrote: wish it was 15in ... 13.3 in is small.
Honestly for portability I would take a 13.3" hands down any day over 15" we loved our past Acer 3830TG 13.3, amazing battery life, snappy fast with an ssd and ultra portable. 15.6" to me is still more a desktop replacement and too big to lug around, one wants to be sub 3lbs for portability. The i7 HP Spectre is very nice
Nov 25, 2002
697 posts
174 upvotes
Kelowna
zumi78878 wrote: Had 3 HPs in my life, all broke shortly after 1 yr (after warranty)- heating issues. Never again.
It's a mixed bag I guess. I've had a Pavillion since 2008 (the dv6885se to be exact) and it has seen daily use ever since. I still find it a perfectly capable machine. The only thing to go on it was the HDD after about 6 years... swapped it out for a sdd and it's been flying ever since. I don't treat it particularly well. It's in and out of my bag on a daily basis, the power cord has been coiled and uncoiled just as often, and neither have been a problem. Lately I've been wishing it would die so I could get something lighter. Hell I even get 90 minutes out of the original battery still. I've seen had friends go through 2 or 3 machines in the time I've had this one. I may just be lucky, but my next laptop will almost certainly be an HP because of how reliable it's been.
Jan 24, 2015
257 posts
151 upvotes
I ended up buying this laptop for $1,170 plus taxes in August 2016 (the core i7 version). Still works perfectly today and coming up to my 5-year anniversary.

Do you guys think I need to upgrade this now? Will I see any major differences by upgrading to the 11th gen core i7 processors?