Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] HP Gaming PC (Intel Core i7-6700/2TB HDD+128GB SSD/16GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Gr

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2016 11:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 24, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote

[Best Buy] HP Gaming PC (Intel Core i7-6700/2TB HDD+128GB SSD/16GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Gr

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of running out to get one. I'm due for a computer update...
18 replies
Sep 1, 2009
51 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
If you aren't able to make your own build then this seems an okay price. Just letting you know this is the 6700 no 6700k so no overclocking but i doubt that would matter to anyone who doesnt build their own computers
Aug 28, 2014
410 posts
537 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Using an HP Envy that shipped with i7 4770 and 12gb ram. What the best buy page does not show is that the proprietary motherboard is absolutely atrocious and the memory modules are bottom of the barrel.

Also, HP pushes out bios updates every week, which I fail to understand.

I'd only recommend this unit if the buyer wants an OEM machine without the hassle of building.
Dec 24, 2011
742 posts
343 upvotes
I wouldn't even recommend this as a pre-built. Rather pay the regular price for an NCIX Custom PC if you needed one now:

http://www.ncix.com/article/Impact-Tower.htm

Yes, the processor is a bit slower, half the ram, and no SSD, but for gaming those things aren't that important. I'd rather get the better graphics card, a decent mobo, and a reliable PSU (compared to the HP).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
5730 posts
3967 upvotes
M-Arkham
I would actually rather grab this(below link), and upgrade it with a graphic card like GTX 1070 down the line, and spend $60-70 on a 240-256gb ssd. It will easily outperform the best buy one there for games with comparable cost. Assuming CDN retailers dun screw us on the GTX 1070 pricing.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

cstriker045 wrote: I wouldn't even recommend this as a pre-built. Rather pay the regular price for an NCIX Custom PC if you needed one now:

Yes, the processor is a bit slower, half the ram, and no SSD, but for gaming those things aren't that important. I'd rather get the better graphics card, a decent mobo, and a reliable PSU (compared to the HP).
Actually, the psu that hp uses ain't that bad, a lot better then the dells, the problem is actually more to do with the chassis(case) they use, it's poorly designed for ventilation and will cause a lot of overheating related issue over time, also it's extremely hard to clean dusts out of it. I've found overheating to be the cause of most parts failure in HP. Of course, their business elite lineup is a completely different story.\
Dec 24, 2011
742 posts
343 upvotes
Brewmeanie wrote: I would actually rather grab this(below link), and upgrade it with a graphic card like GTX 1070 down the line, and spend $60-70 on a 240-256gb ssd. It will easily outperform the best buy one there for games with comparable cost. Assuming CDN retailers dun screw us on the GTX 1070 pricing.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

Actually, the psu that hp uses ain't that bad, a lot better then the dells, the problem is actually more to do with the chassis(case) they use, it's poorly designed for ventilation and will cause a lot of overheating related issue over time, also it's extremely hard to clean dusts out of it. I've found overheating to be the cause of most parts failure in HP. Of course, their business elite lineup is a completely different story.\
Ah, fair enough. I just assumed HP's included crappy PSU's like Dell. I agree there's definitely better deals than the one I posted, I just went to a site I knew that had a better build IMO than the OP.
Feb 25, 2006
409 posts
109 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Brewmeanie wrote: Actually, the psu that hp uses ain't that bad, a lot better then the dells, the problem is actually more to do with the chassis(case) they use, it's poorly designed for ventilation and will cause a lot of overheating related issue over time, also it's extremely hard to clean dusts out of it. I've found overheating to be the cause of most parts failure in HP. Of course, their business elite lineup is a completely different story.\
I'd be interested in knowing what 500W PSU model is used in this gaming PC. Previous HP PSU I have seen have been the Bestec brand that can be unreliable.
Mar 4, 2009
773 posts
29 upvotes
cstriker045 wrote: I wouldn't even recommend this as a pre-built. Rather pay the regular price for an NCIX Custom PC if you needed one now:

Is it possible to upgrade to SSD and graphics card later on?
Nov 20, 2015
109 posts
27 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
imp wrote: Is it possible to upgrade to SSD and graphics card later on?
I don't see why not. Nothing seems to be proprietary.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3409 posts
1070 upvotes
You could build a similar PC to this for like a grand, maybe 1200 at most.

Pre-built is almost NEVER a good deal. And building a PC is not rocket science. Especially now.
Oct 2, 2009
458 posts
252 upvotes
Winchestra wrote: Any thoughts? I'm thinking of running out to get one. I'm due for a computer update...
Uhh if it's for gaming don't bother. PC gaming is reliant on GPU more than CPU. Build it yourself if i were you. Here is my current build, it will literally run circles around the bestbuy prebuilt due to GPU difference.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/q3qFGf

Edit: If you want to build it yourself but don't know where to start PM me and I'll walk you through. Another good source is reddit build a pc subreddit.
Penalty Box
Jul 28, 2010
684 posts
65 upvotes
Ice cold and mismatch of components. U dont need 16gb of ram, and i7 matched with a gtx 960 is weird. Also im assuming the rest of the components r poor quality. Go on kijiji and buy a used gaming pc with similar specs for 500 less
They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2191 posts
1490 upvotes
I always recommend everyone to build their own pc. ALWAYS, price to performance ratio is much better than the ones you buy in store
Aug 19, 2013
844 posts
747 upvotes
TORONTO
This isnt too bad but like others have said, if you're feeling adventurous, building your own would be better. Even at the same price, you'd get higher quality parts. Back to the HP.. The PSU units in their more powerful Envy-line is actually pretty decent. Id be more worried about the cooling as prebuilts have really terrible cooling and not many ways to add fans to it. (Although the case does look awesome)

I wouldnt buy an used gaming PC though... too risky with so many people trying to scam on kijiji (at least in the GTA)

EDIT: looks like someone necro'd this post. Old and deal long dead
Oct 2, 2009
458 posts
252 upvotes
LOL You gotta be kidding dude...$1400 for a gtx 960? Look at my build its same price with a r9 390. A lot of my parts are overkill ie corsair h55, 16gb ram, enthoo pro m.

If it's for gaming there is no point in getting an i7 an i5 is plenty. i3 will do fine but might bottleneck in cpu intensive games like gta v.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5562 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
One of the main reason I would go 'build yourself' is warranty. The other is choice of better parts. As you can see the warranty for this is 1 year.

Hard drive - 3 years (or more) vs 1
RAM - lifetime usually vs 1 (I'm unsure if ram is limited to the 1 year)
PSU - 3 (or more) years vs 1

and so on.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1063 posts
724 upvotes
Montr
Cold, cold and cold ...

A couple of days ago (maybe still in effect) there was an Alienware with roughly same config but with gtx 1070 for the same price

Look for that thread ...