Hot Deals

[HP] HP Envy x360 13.3 AMD Ryzen 4500u Touchscreen 2 in 1 Laptop + Stylus $874.99 New And $769.99 Open Box

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2021 4:28 pm
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
783 posts
385 upvotes

[HP] HP Envy x360 13.3 AMD Ryzen 4500u Touchscreen 2 in 1 Laptop + Stylus $874.99 New And $769.99 Open Box

AMD Ryzen 4500u 6 core CPU
300 Nits IPS Gorilla Glass Touchscreen 100% sRGB Colors
8 GB Dual Channel 3200 DDR4
256 GB PCI SSD
Fingerprint Reader
USB 3 (with power delivery AND display out capability)
Headphone jack
51 WHr Battery
USB 2, SD Card, and Barrel Charge ports
NO Hdmi port
Weight 2.9 lbs

This is a new all time low using the coupon code HPFAMILY75 to get it to $949.99 - $75 = $874.99. I've had this since the last $899.99 sale and I still love it. I find the 8GB plenty for all that I've thrown at the machine, and haven't found myself needing more ram. Under Windows it uses about 2.7 GB of ram sitting idle. Under Arch Linux it uses about 0.6 GB of ram at idle (XFCE desktop).

The typical competition for this machine is the Lenovo Flex 5 14 inch convertible laptop. I've had a chance to try that machine and there is simply no contest in build quality. The HP is in a whole other league in fit and finish over the Lenovo. The Lenovo typically comes with 16 gb of ram, some added heft and weight, and a lower quality display.

For discussion and pictures from the last time this was on sale, see the expired thread at best-buy-hp-envy-x360-13-3-amd-ryzen-45 ... f-2395353/

Thanks to user abudabu the open box version is sold at Best Buy for $769.99 and refurbished for $729.99:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?sea ... 65&irgwc=1
Last edited by Sushi Roll on Feb 13th, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1224 posts
616 upvotes
It looks good but that 8 GB non-upgradable RAM is pretty much DOA in 2021.
Jun 15, 2020
96 posts
266 upvotes
Great deal at this price, my mother has this and it's a really nice laptop overall. Great for media consumption as it can function as a tablet, great for light gaming as the processor has good integrated graphics, and great for office / business work as the CPU is more than capable of handling such tasks.

The only downside is the 8 GB soldered ram, however the reality is that 8 GB is more than enough for the majority of users and even professionals who work as accountants, teachers, etc.

For anyone on the fence of getting it, I'd go for it. The laptop honestly performs and looks / feels like a $1500 laptop.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1055 posts
875 upvotes
Edmonton
Isn't the Lenovo Flex 5 2 in 1 laptop with AMD Ryzen 4700u at Costco with 16gb ram and 512gb ssd on sale for 899 in store a better deal?
Nov 20, 2014
157 posts
47 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
AnujS699 wrote: Isn't the Lenovo Flex 5 2 in 1 laptop with AMD Ryzen 4700u at Costco with 16gb ram and 512gb ssd on sale for 899 in store a better deal?
Yes it is, You get way more for 20 bucks, and anything is better than HPs "quality"
Jun 15, 2020
96 posts
266 upvotes
AnujS699 wrote: Isn't the Lenovo Flex 5 2 in 1 laptop with AMD Ryzen 4700u at Costco with 16gb ram and 512gb ssd on sale for 899 in store a better deal?
If you only care about specs then yes. If you care about build quality, design, etc., then although it's obviously subjective I'd reckon 90% of people would prefer the Envy x360. There's a night and day difference when holding and handling the devices. It's why Dell XPS laptops are expensive, they have a premium build and feel. The same is true with Envy x360 with it's all aluminum chassis, great screen, etc.
Sep 1, 2018
152 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
It has wifi 5 and BT 4.2...outdated specs. As others mentioned the build quality and esthetics are also much nicer on the HP Envy.
4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB (2x8gb) DDR3 @ CL9 | Asrock Z97 OC Formula | GTX 1080 ti | AW3420DW | Klipsch 2.1 Promedia | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo & 5TB WD Black | Seasonic 760wt Platinum | Corsair 300R | Win 10
[OP]
Apr 3, 2006
783 posts
385 upvotes
That's the main competition and the answer is... it depends. If 16GB ram is a deal breaker, the costo one wins. If bilingual keyboard is a deal breaker, this HP envy wins (this has the flat return key and normal size keys versus the J shaped return key and squished shift keys on the Costco model).

If you look at the linked old thread, you'll see some people returned the Lenovo and got this HP Envy instead and liked it better when they owned both.

Now just to give it a fair fight, I tried the AMERICAN version of the Lenovo Flex 5 14 with the normal, non-bilingual keyboard, 16 gigs ram, etc. I tried it for a few MONTHS off and on against this Envy. In the end I didn't notice the difference between 16 and 8 gigs of ram. The SSD is so fast even when it swaps to ram I don't notice any slowdown on the Envy.

I found a few things that were worse with the Lenovo. First is the screen. Colors were off (especially reds looked orange) compared to the Envy. Brightness had to be set higher compared to the Envy so it used more power. There was much more pronounced backlight bleed on black screens on the Lenovo, especially during boot up. On the Envy, the screen looks quite black on boot up with very even backlighting.

Lenovo also took longer to boot and longer to wake up from hibernation. It also stayed in sleep mode for less time and would end up hibernating to disk earlier than the Envy. So most times, you open the Envy and you're instantly up and ready to go. Most times you open the Lenovo you end up waiting for it to reboot and restore from hibernation.

Lenovo also had a much uglier boot graphic. HP is a really nice one and matches the deep blacks. It's the little details like this that are hard to tell from a spec sheet.

Lenovo had a stickier touchpad when fingertips got sweaty. Envy allows for a smoother glide when your hands start to sweat.

Keyboard on Envy is a bit more "clackey" for lack of a better word. Lenovo keyboard was fine but it was more spongey.

USB3 power adapter I thought would be a win for the Lenovo but it ended up fitting much more loosely in the port and had a bit of wiggle. Just didn't feel secure or snug in the port. Also took up a USB3 port to charge. Envy has the barrel charger and it is snug and tight while charging and leaves the USB3 port for display. Lenovo doesn't have a USB3 with display out capability.

Lenovo I couldn't get the touchpad to work in Ubuntu, Manjaro, Arch, and even Pop OS. It seems there are multiple touchpad manufacturers and I was unlucky and got the one with no Linux support. On the Envy it works pretty much straight out of the box with any Linux distro. However on both the fingerprint reader, autorotation tablet mode, and suspend doesn't work on Linux. As a workaround I can only get hibernate to work on Linux but it boots even faster than Windows so it's actually pretty sweet.

The Envy keyboard backlight seems to stay on longer after typing than the Lenovo. This is a matter of preference but I like it better on the Envy.

Both had surprisingly little bloatware from the factory, and basically after uninstalling things like McAffee Antivirus I haven't found a need to clean install either machine.

Sound also was better on the Envy. Fan also turned on less often on the Envy, but this is really nitpicking as both were pretty much silent with no fan on normal web browsing.

Then other little details like the Envy has a dedicated key to adjust the keyboard backlight while the Lenovo does not - you need to press Fn + Spacebar (not obvious really... and why those keys?)

Then there is the slightly bulkier size and weight that made the Lenovo just less fun to carry around.

I'm trying to think of one thing I liked better on the Lenovo and I can't think of anything. Usually it would be the bigger ram but like I said before, I didn't notice the difference.

So in the end I'm certain I made the right decision with the Envy. Yes, I would have loved to have the 16gb of ram, but that version is $1399 on amazon so it isn't worth it.

But I'm the type of person who will probably buy the 8gb version of the Macbook Air M1 over the 16gb one just because again, I won't notice the difference.

I'd rather spend less now and save that money to buy a better machine in the future (Apple M2 or when Zen 4 stuff comes out, etc).

Just my $0.02
Sep 1, 2015
649 posts
797 upvotes
Having the Emvy X360 15 from Costco, this one has the much better 300 nits screen. Build quality is like a tank. No joke. Envy is almost Spectre level. If your goal is build quality and size, very little around this build quality and price. 8gb might be limiting going forward though.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1421 posts
1096 upvotes
Ottawa
klown wrote: It looks good but that 8 GB non-upgradable RAM is pretty much DOA in 2021.
Really depends on its use
Feb 3, 2017
24 posts
25 upvotes
I just bought the 15.6" version (HP ENVY x360 15-ds1003ca 2-in-1 Laptop, AMD Ryzen 5 4500U) from Costco for $899.99, it's got a really nice build quality.
Dec 10, 2012
222 posts
238 upvotes
Envy has a nice feel but it’s a piece of shit. I’ve had one since July and I hate it
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30915 posts
1754 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Not much of a fan of HP. Had a few HP devices, none work as it should have.
Sep 10, 2012
720 posts
444 upvotes
Saskatoon
Bought this for $899 (less 7% ebates) a couple of months ago. Build quality is very good for this price point. My knocks are 300 nits display is just ok, 400 would be better as I have to have it at 90% brightness and that hurts battery life of course. Bilingual keyboard I’m not a fan of but I knew that before buying. I have a weird issue that I gave up on and that is on zoom and Google meet calls, if I touch the touch pad while I’m talking it will randomly mute myself. I spent hours updating drivers, bios, chipset, reinstalling windows, etc, etc and finally gave up and went back to using iPad. It’s a known issue and I think has something to do with the amd graphics drivers? Anyway, I would have returned it if I could have but didn’t discover the issue until after the 30 day return window. If anyone has the same issue and has figured out what the fix is please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Mar 16, 2006
275 posts
249 upvotes
For the Audio issue You could try this remedy.

HP audio issue with Zoom.
Haven’t tried it as I don’t use Zoom with the HP.

Hardware acceleration has been an issue in other apps as well. I recall OneNote had an issue for which we disabled some hardware acceleration as well. Can’t recall if it was sound or video but I thought it was Microsoft’s issue.

This laptop is pretty good. Would have preferred having an HDMI port but the USB-C works with an adapter. The laptop had been purchased for its portability (2.9 pounds) as it was for university students. Then we all stayed home for much longer than expected.

Would also have preferred a 16:10 or 3:2 display ratio but not sure any exist at this excellent price point. Love the stylus that come “free” with it too.

Don’t understand the dislike from some others but then they can’t seem to be bothered with articulating their reasons. We’ve had 2 of these since August 2020.
squint72 wrote: Bought this for $899 (less 7% ebates) a couple of months ago. Build quality is very good for this price point. My knocks are 300 nits display is just ok, 400 would be better as I have to have it at 90% brightness and that hurts battery life of course. Bilingual keyboard I’m not a fan of but I knew that before buying. I have a weird issue that I gave up on and that is on zoom and Google meet calls, if I touch the touch pad while I’m talking it will randomly mute myself. I spent hours updating drivers, bios, chipset, reinstalling windows, etc, etc and finally gave up and went back to using iPad. It’s a known issue and I think has something to do with the amd graphics drivers? Anyway, I would have returned it if I could have but didn’t discover the issue until after the 30 day return window. If anyone has the same issue and has figured out what the fix is please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Jun 7, 2013
42 posts
2 upvotes
Isn't the costco one better. Especially with the costco
warranty?
Mar 13, 2019
138 posts
89 upvotes
Had the 15" version of this and I sent it back, keyboard layout poor, couldn't get use to it, felt like I was re-learning how to type, screen had bad backlight bleed, touch pad software was bad and if you look at the reviews the hinges prematurely break and HP wont cover it under warranty. Just search HP envy broken hinges. Spend the few extra bucks and get something better, HP is not known for quality products.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1055 posts
875 upvotes
Edmonton
Sushi Roll wrote: That's the main competition and the answer is... it depends. If 16GB ram is a deal breaker, the costo one wins. If bilingual keyboard is a deal breaker, this HP envy wins (this has the flat return key and normal size keys versus the J shaped return key and squished shift keys on the Costco model).

If you look at the linked old thread, you'll see some people returned the Lenovo and got this HP Envy instead and liked it better when they owned both.

Now just to give it a fair fight, I tried the AMERICAN version of the Lenovo Flex 5 14 with the normal, non-bilingual keyboard, 16 gigs ram, etc. I tried it for a few MONTHS off and on against this Envy. In the end I didn't notice the difference between 16 and 8 gigs of ram. The SSD is so fast even when it swaps to ram I don't notice any slowdown on the Envy.

I found a few things that were worse with the Lenovo. First is the screen. Colors were off (especially reds looked orange) compared to the Envy. Brightness had to be set higher compared to the Envy so it used more power. There was much more pronounced backlight bleed on black screens on the Lenovo, especially during boot up. On the Envy, the screen looks quite black on boot up with very even backlighting.

Lenovo also took longer to boot and longer to wake up from hibernation. It also stayed in sleep mode for less time and would end up hibernating to disk earlier than the Envy. So most times, you open the Envy and you're instantly up and ready to go. Most times you open the Lenovo you end up waiting for it to reboot and restore from hibernation.

Lenovo also had a much uglier boot graphic. HP is a really nice one and matches the deep blacks. It's the little details like this that are hard to tell from a spec sheet.

Lenovo had a stickier touchpad when fingertips got sweaty. Envy allows for a smoother glide when your hands start to sweat.

Keyboard on Envy is a bit more "clackey" for lack of a better word. Lenovo keyboard was fine but it was more spongey.

USB3 power adapter I thought would be a win for the Lenovo but it ended up fitting much more loosely in the port and had a bit of wiggle. Just didn't feel secure or snug in the port. Also took up a USB3 port to charge. Envy has the barrel charger and it is snug and tight while charging and leaves the USB3 port for display. Lenovo doesn't have a USB3 with display out capability.

Lenovo I couldn't get the touchpad to work in Ubuntu, Manjaro, Arch, and even Pop OS. It seems there are multiple touchpad manufacturers and I was unlucky and got the one with no Linux support. On the Envy it works pretty much straight out of the box with any Linux distro. However on both the fingerprint reader, autorotation tablet mode, and suspend doesn't work on Linux. As a workaround I can only get hibernate to work on Linux but it boots even faster than Windows so it's actually pretty sweet.

The Envy keyboard backlight seems to stay on longer after typing than the Lenovo. This is a matter of preference but I like it better on the Envy.

Both had surprisingly little bloatware from the factory, and basically after uninstalling things like McAffee Antivirus I haven't found a need to clean install either machine.

Sound also was better on the Envy. Fan also turned on less often on the Envy, but this is really nitpicking as both were pretty much silent with no fan on normal web browsing.

Then other little details like the Envy has a dedicated key to adjust the keyboard backlight while the Lenovo does not - you need to press Fn + Spacebar (not obvious really... and why those keys?)

Then there is the slightly bulkier size and weight that made the Lenovo just less fun to carry around.

I'm trying to think of one thing I liked better on the Lenovo and I can't think of anything. Usually it would be the bigger ram but like I said before, I didn't notice the difference.

So in the end I'm certain I made the right decision with the Envy. Yes, I would have loved to have the 16gb of ram, but that version is $1399 on amazon so it isn't worth it.

But I'm the type of person who will probably buy the 8gb version of the Macbook Air M1 over the 16gb one just because again, I won't notice the difference.

I'd rather spend less now and save that money to buy a better machine in the future (Apple M2 or when Zen 4 stuff comes out, etc).

Just my $0.02
This is a great review. I bought the Lenovo 2 days ago from Costco and noticed I HATE the keyboard and how heavy it is. I will probably grab the Envy 4700u from Costco. But I'm so disappointed that they don't come with 16gb ram unless you spend 1200$, and then you have to compromise and get an Intel i7 processor instead of the holy 4700u ryzen processor...

Thanks for this review!