Expired Hot Deals

HP

HP Laptop 14-fq1040ca14" FHD - Ryzen 7 5700U - 16Gb Ram - 1TB SSD $764.99 +8% cashback Rakuten

[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 1, 2009
572 posts
318 upvotes
Terrebonne

[HP] HP Laptop 14-fq1040ca14" FHD - Ryzen 7 5700U - 16Gb Ram - 1TB SSD $764.99 +8% cashback Rakuten

HP Laptop 14-fq1040ca14" FHD - Ryzen 7 5700U - 16Gb Ram - 1TB SSD $899.99
Use coupon code : SAVEBIGHP15
Use Rakuten to get 8% cashback

Technical details
Supported operating systems
Operating system Windows 10 Home 64
Processor
Chipset AMD Integrated SoC
Processor cache 8 MB L3
Processor core 8
Processor family AMD Ryzen™ 7 processor
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700U (up to 4.3 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads)
Processor name footnote number [6,7]
Appearance
Color Natural silver
Product design Paint finish cover and base, vertical brushed In-mould roll keyboard frame
Product color Natural silver
Camera specifications
Webcam HP True Vision 720p HD camera with integrated dual array digital microphones
Drives
Optical drive Optical drive not included
Cloud service 25 GB Dropbox storage for 12 months
Internal Storage 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Cloud service footnote number [1]
Graphic subsystem
Graphics Integrated
Graphics (integrated) AMD Radeon™ Graphics
Connectivity and communications
Ports 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate
2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate
1 HDMI 1.4b
1 AC smart pin
1 headphone/microphone combo
Wireless Realtek Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6™ (1x2) and Bluetooth® 5.2 combo (Supporting Gigabit data rate)
Expansion slots 1 multi-format SD media card reader
Wireless Note MU-MIMO supported
Miracast compatible
Multimedia and input devices
Audio Dual speakers
Keyboard Full-size, natural silver keyboard
Canada bilingual keyboard (supports English and French languages)
Pointing device HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
Precision Touchpad Support
Weights
Weight 1.46 kg
Package weight 1.71 kg
Software and applications
Software included McAfee LiveSafe™
Software - Productivity & finance 1 month trial for new Microsoft 365 customers
Software - productivity & finance footnote number [24]
Software footnote number [2]
Security management
Fingerprint reader Fingerprint reader
Dimensions
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H) 32.4 x 22.5 x 1.79 cm
Package dimensions (W x D x H) 6.9 x 48.3 x 30.5 cm
Display specifications
Display 35.6 cm (14") diagonal FHD display
Display 14" diagonal FHD display
Brightness 250 nits
Color gamut 45% NTSC
Display 35.6 cm (14") diagonal, FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, micro-edge, anti-glare, 250 nits, 45% NTSC
Screen-to-body ratio (without speakers) footnote number [18]
Touchscreen No
Memory
Memory layout (slots & size) 2 x 8 GB
Memory 16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB)
Memory Note Transfer rates up to 3200 MT/s.
Memory and storage 16 GB memory
1 TB SSD storage
Battery and power
Battery life Up to 9 hours and 45 minutes
Battery life footnote number [3]
Battery life video playback footnote number [10]
Battery recharge time Supports battery fast charge: approximately 50% in 45 minutes
Battery recharge time footnote number [5]
Battery type 3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion
Battery weight 0.46 lb
Battery weight 210 g
Battery life video playback Up to 9 hours and 15 minutes
Power supply type 45 W Smart AC power adapter
21 replies
Jr. Member
Dec 14, 2011
107 posts
97 upvotes
This seems like a fantastic deal for the specs. Great find OP.
Sr. Member
Nov 17, 2019
723 posts
1900 upvotes
HP VS Dell inspiron

Pros of HP
+ Cheaper at the moment
+ More portable
+ Fingerprint reader

Cons of HP
- Smaller battery (41Whr vs 54Whr)
- Less modern design
- Smaller screen (14 vs 15.6)
- No backlit keyboard

Toss up
- Hardware is the same, performance will depend on thermals
- No numpad or yes numpad
- Both will need a fresh install to remove bloatware

Feel free to add more, I probably missed some.
Last edited by quantman on Jul 31st, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3450 posts
4076 upvotes
cannot believe i pulled the trigger here as HP consumer line is pretty meh.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Member
User avatar
Oct 14, 2015
397 posts
424 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Soooo tempted.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
What's their return policy like ? ( states - 30 days after I phone it in to tech-sup. )
If I don't pull pin on this, I'll use it as a ref to judge against any back to school deals.
UV'd
Sr. Member
May 12, 2004
862 posts
126 upvotes
The screen quality is terrible with this one.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
1000 posts
1135 upvotes
1920 x 1080 IPS anti-glare 250 nits 45% NTSC
16 GB DDR4-3200
3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion
1 x USB Type-C
1.46 kg
1.79 cm thickness
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 4GB UNLIMITED voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1254 posts
5296 upvotes
Specs are great for the price. Not sure about build quality and display quality.

Also, note keyboard is bilingual.
Member
Jun 12, 2018
336 posts
260 upvotes
Ontario
If only the displays on all these laptop deals matched the rest of the specs. Another good laptop deal diminished by the display.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3913 posts
2495 upvotes
quantman wrote: HP VS Dell inspiron

Pros of HP
+ Cheaper at the moment
+ More portable
+ Fingerprint reader

Cons of HP
- Smaller battery (41Whr vs 54Whr)
- Less modern design
- Smaller screen (14 vs 15.6)
- No backlit keyboard

Toss up
- Hardware is the same, performance will depend on thermals
- No numpad or yes numpad
- Both will need a fresh install to remove bloatware

Feel free to add more, I probably missed some.
I think Dell is touch screen while hp is not.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2011
1079 posts
1139 upvotes
Toronto
qfli78 wrote: Specs are great for the price. Not sure about build quality and display quality.

Also, note keyboard is bilingual.
Usually, an ANSI keyboard layout on the HP. So shouldn't be an issue. You don't get the short shift or vertical enter with bilingual ANSI layouts.
Those are characteristics of an ISO layout. Not sure why most other manufacturers opt for the ISO bilingual layout, while HP can get away selling a standard ANSI with bilingual markings...
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2743 posts
2359 upvotes
Montreal, QC
cristianosham wrote: I think Dell is touch screen while hp is not.
Would help to know what model of Dell Inspiron is being used for comparison. My Dell Inspiron isn't touchscreen.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1538 posts
4798 upvotes
Calgary, AB
qfli78 wrote: Also, note keyboard is bilingual.
This kills it for me.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4287 posts
3255 upvotes
Vancouver
HP made some cost cutting decisions with this notebook. In exchange for a fast CPU and big SSD...

USB-C port doesn't do video or power delivery. It's data only.
HDMI is 1.4b. In other words, this notebook can't output 4K60.
Trackpad has weird shape that is smaller than most notebooks.
Top and bottom chassis is completely plastic.
Single heatpipe.
Significant keyboard deck flex.
250 nits.
Barrel 45W charger.

The Lenovo IdeaPad 5 with 4500U/16GB/256GB sells $685, but doesn't have any of the deficiencies mentioned above.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 1, 2009
572 posts
318 upvotes
Terrebonne
qfli78 wrote: Specs are great for the price. Not sure about build quality and display quality.

Also, note keyboard is bilingual.
I don't understand why people make so much fuss about bilingual keyboard.
Is there other options when you write primarily in French?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 1, 2009
572 posts
318 upvotes
Terrebonne
Spinner wrote: HP made some cost cutting decisions with this notebook. In exchange for a fast CPU and big SSD...

USB-C port doesn't do video or power delivery. It's data only.
HDMI is 1.4b. In other words, this notebook can't output 4K60.
Trackpad has weird shape that is smaller than most notebooks.
Top and bottom chassis is completely plastic.
Single heatpipe.
Significant keyboard deck flex.
250 nits.
Barrel 45W charger.

The Lenovo IdeaPad 5 with 4500U/16GB/256GB sells $685, but doesn't have any of the deficiencies mentioned above.
I think the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 officialy has HDMI 1.4b, but 4K60 still works as per reviewers. I haven't seen definitive review saying 4K60 doesn't work on the HP, but I don't care about this feature anyway.

Also, the 4500U processor is not as future proof as SMT (Hyperthreading) is disabled in it. So while having a similar performance for a single core, for multitasking and software that are well optimized, there should be a significant difference since you get only 6 total threads on the 4500U vs getting 16 threads from the 5700U.
Newbie
Oct 8, 2018
9 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal, QC
When are manufacturers going to stop putting crappy 45% NTSC 250nits screens on their laptops. I would easily pay 100-200 more for a screen that actually has decent colors and 400-500 nits.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1538 posts
4798 upvotes
Calgary, AB
yannakm wrote: I don't understand why people make so much fuss about bilingual keyboard.
Is there other options when you write primarily in French?
For those who write in French, it’s not an issue.

For those like me who only write in English and are used to the US keyboard layout, it can be very frustrating with the smaller/modified shift and return keys. This slows down my typing and increases my mistakes. Also, it’s less aesthetically pleasing to me with all the extra character markings on the keys.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2011
1079 posts
1139 upvotes
Toronto
blyndfyre wrote: For those who write in French, it’s not an issue.

For those like me who only write in English and are used to the US keyboard layout, it can be very frustrating with the smaller/modified shift and return keys. This slows down my typing and increases my mistakes. Also, it’s less aesthetically pleasing to me with all the extra character markings on the keys.
My post above...

You have an issue with ISO keyboard layouts, not bilingual layouts.
For some reason, we've become conditioned to associate bilingual keyboards with ISO layouts.

I've owned a few bilingual HP laptops, and every single one has had markings on an ANSI layout.

These don't have the shortened shift or vertical enter.

The only "bilingual" thing about the keyboard is the few markings. And they are very few.... Can upload a pic later, but bilingual keyboards on most HP laptops are a non-issue...

I've seen many HP laptops, and the only model that I've come across with the modified layout you're referencing (ISO) was a Chromebook two or three years ago. Idk if they've changed it so that all their new laptops have an iso layout, but it's not been the case historically...

Edit -- see attached photo.
Different laptop, but was advertised with a "bilingual" keyboard. It has some french markings, but otherwise is almost identical to a US keyboard (maybe with the exception of the removal of the right ctrl key...)

1627833852680940887410623866470.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1538 posts
4798 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Wolfdale wrote: My post above...

You have an issue with ISO keyboard layouts, not bilingual layouts.
For some reason, we've become conditioned to associate bilingual keyboards with ISO layouts.

I've owned a few bilingual HP laptops, and every single one has had markings on an ANSI layout.

These don't have the shortened shift or vertical enter.

The only "bilingual" thing about the keyboard is the few markings. And they are very few.... Can upload a pic later, but bilingual keyboards on most HP laptops are a non-issue...

I've seen many HP laptops, and the only model that I've come across with the modified layout you're referencing (ISO) was a Chromebook two or three years ago. Idk if they've changed it so that all their new laptops have an iso layout, but it's not been the case historically...

Edit -- see attached photo.
Different laptop, but was advertised with a "bilingual" keyboard. It has some french markings, but otherwise is almost identical to a US keyboard (maybe with the exception of the removal of the right ctrl key...)


1627833852680940887410623866470.jpg
TIL, thanks.

Aesthetics still comes into play though. Not a big deal, but to me I’d rather not see markings I’ll never use, cluttering up the look a bit.

Top