Expired Hot Deals

[HP] HP Neverstop 1202w Laser Printer for $249.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2021 7:33 am
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 1, 2021
1 posts
9 upvotes

[HP] HP Neverstop 1202w Laser Printer for $249.99

The HP Neverstop Laser Printer (monochrome) 1202w from the HP Canada site is available for $249.99.
On the site, it's selling at $319.99 but if you use the HP70 promo code you can save an additional $70.00 (which is a promo code of $70.00 off purchases over $250).

For reference, Best Buy is selling the printer at $339.99 currently even with a sale.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... r/14469370

Reviews for the printer on PCMag and TechRader is 4/5 noting good price point and bargain running cost. Downside is no duplex and limited print/scan resolution.

Cheers
Cheers,
CaptainGinger
34 replies
Jr. Member
Sep 25, 2007
112 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
is this a good printer? Seems a bit old as Amazon.com doesn't carry it anymore.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
20251 posts
23718 upvotes
I don't buy anything but Brother nowadays.

Too many DRM and garbage app issues with HP and the rest of the rat pack.

For copiers, I go Canon or Konica Minolta.
.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1587 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I had to throw away my samsung color laser with almost full toners after HP bought it and decided not to release MacOS drivers anymore,
HP is only good for corporate users who usually get their big machines for free or low cost and heavily discounted original toners on par with third party prices.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2011
1072 posts
1118 upvotes
Toronto
apkesh wrote: is this a good printer? Seems a bit old as Amazon.com doesn't carry it anymore.
It's actually one of their newest laser printers.

Falls in the "tank" category. You don't buy cartridges for tank printers, you basically refill them yourself. Super popular in Asia, and really started making its way to North America over the past 5 years or so.

This isn't a high end printer. You're just getting extremely high volume. It comes with enough toner for 5,000 pages in the box....

And replacement toner (the plunger reload kit) is $22 for 2500 pages.

Similar to the EcoTank and Megatank printers from Epson and Canon (which are tank printers that prioritize volume over featureset), but this is a laser option versus the other two which are inkjet.

If you're not a fan of the cost of laser cartridges, and you typically buy refills or w/e, this isn't a bad choice... You get OEM toner at similar or cheaper prices as 3rd party, and the reload process looks interesting.

I don't own this (have a cheap inkjet printer instead on the free Instant Ink plan), but if was in the market for a black/white laser, this would be up there (particularly at this price).

If you care about auto duplexing (two sided printing), this is not the printer for you. You're much better off with a traditional printer that's not self-refill.
Sr. Member
Dec 12, 2003
759 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately this lacks duplex (doubled sided) printing. You can get similar priced printers from Brother that have this feature.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
20251 posts
23718 upvotes
.EE. wrote: Unfortunately this lacks duplex (doubled sided) printing. You can get similar priced printers from Brother that have this feature.
If true, it's truly laughable.
.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2720 posts
2314 upvotes
Montreal, QC
redflagdealsguy wrote: I don't buy anything but Brother nowadays.
Been running my Brother 2280DW for more than five years now and never had a problem with it, I'm also a loyal customer Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Member
User avatar
Jan 3, 2006
353 posts
306 upvotes
Halifax
Thanks OP. I got the HP LaserJet Pro M201dw 6 years ago. It was on sale for about $130 still going strong. If I ever have to replace it, I will go HP again.
Member
User avatar
Nov 11, 2011
251 posts
174 upvotes
Quebec
We got a $400-500 printer from HP at office and it broke once after a year. HP said it was not worth fixing, costs and all. Gave us a new one.
That one also broke after a year.
other issues:
-prints with whites lines, tried to check online how to fix it and can't fix.

TLDR Garbage HP printers
Member
Jan 19, 2013
331 posts
312 upvotes
I have a Brother L2550DW for about 3 yrs now.. very happy with the printer ..
Member
Dec 16, 2009
384 posts
159 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I don't buy anything but Brother nowadays.

Too many DRM and garbage app issues with HP and the rest of the rat pack.

For copiers, I go Canon or Konica Minolta.
Well, some of us don't appreciate the horrific Brother drivers, and Brothers constant need for reconfiguration and their driver's penchant for switching from IP to WSD port without permission.... there's a LOT of bad to go around, and I don't see where Brother is any better than the rest.
Jr. Member
Apr 19, 2014
177 posts
163 upvotes
Markham, ON
I see a lot of Brother lovers in the thread.

I am a proud owner of a Brother HL-L2390DW that requires toner replacement.

What's a cheap reliable aftermarket toner I can pick up in the GTA (Markham, northeast Scarborough preferred)

Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
20251 posts
23718 upvotes
elkabong wrote: Well, some of us don't appreciate the horrific Brother drivers, and Brothers constant need for reconfiguration and their driver's penchant for switching from IP to WSD port without permission.... there's a LOT of bad to go around, and I don't see where Brother is any better than the rest.
For home and small office, Brother is miles better. Plentiful parts and cheap third party non-DRM toner, easy setup for the most part, granted their scanner apps are middle of the road.

For corporate, midsize HP printers with service and support work just fine.

For corporate, full-size copiers from Canon and Konica Minolta are pretty solid, under a service contract.
.
Sr. Member
Feb 9, 2011
756 posts
282 upvotes
Buy Brother and don't waste money on other stuff. Lots of cheap toner options.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2011
1072 posts
1118 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: For home and small office, Brother is miles better. Plentiful parts and cheap third party non-DRM toner, easy setup for the most part, granted their scanner apps are middle of the road.

For corporate, midsize HP printers with service and support work just fine.

For corporate, full-size copiers from Canon and Konica Minolta are pretty solid, under a service contract.
Ribbyx wrote: Buy Brother and don't waste money on other stuff. Lots of cheap toner options.
Before I went with cheap Instant Ink inkjet, I had a Brother laser, but this was like ~6 years ago (now being used by my mom & brother, but rarely).
Please forgive my ignorance, but seems there's a lot of appreciation for the running cost of a Brother printer with aftermarket toner.

What's the average cost for aftermarket toner with page yields on Brother?

The one in this OP is $22.xx for 2,500 pages, OEM.
Are the aftermarket Brother toners materially cheaper than this?

If similar, wouldn't it make more sense to go with OEM quality over aftermarket/generic?
Hard to find an unbiased comparison online, but a little bit of Reddit reading has lots of anecdotal experiences with aftermarket toner damaging printers (or leaving unwanted marks on prints).

This was my experience with my old Brother -- it left some random vertical lines or splotches of toner on random parts of the page.
I didn't care about the marks since it was just for personal use (and schoolwork) and the low-cost justified it, but it certainly had its issues.

Now, I rarely print, so the free 15-pages from the legacy Instant Ink plan fit my needs just fine, but I suspect if I didn't care for colour or duplexing, the OP unit wouldn't be a bad choice.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3099 posts
1999 upvotes
Montreal
2 pack of plunger (total 5,000 pages) is $38.99 at Staples. The printer also comes with 5,000 pages worth of toner preinstalled. If you can do without duplex and top feeder, its unbeatable in cost per page. Drum is also only around $100 after 20,000 pages.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15479 posts
3771 upvotes
Toronto
Who says HP is not reliable? I'm still running my HP Laserjet 2100 that I purchased back in 1999. I upgraded the ram to 52 MB and added a JetDirect card for network printing.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~cavcomp ... 0/2100.htm

You can get Original HP toner/drum cartridges for about $50 and they last 5000 pages.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 8, 2004
3586 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: Who says HP is not reliable? I'm still running my HP Laserjet 2100 that I purchased back in 1999. I upgraded the ram to 52 MB and added a JetDirect card for network printing.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~cavcomp ... 0/2100.htm

You can get Original HP toner/drum cartridges for about $50 and they last 5000 pages.
I used to work with Laserjet 4200s and those are even better.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 19, 2014
1209 posts
1752 upvotes
GPS - error
Neverstop as in they never stop selling it? :)

Top