Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
HP

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset ($849 - $50 off - 10% Rakuten = $719.10)

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2021 3:08 am
24 replies
Dec 15, 2010
50 posts
84 upvotes
Here’s my two cents;
This price is good
If you are buying this for SIMs like most, be wary that you will need a beast of a computer to run this at the native resolution (20/30 series RTX). Even 30 series will downgrade at times (ex. MSFS2020) due to game not being optimized)
The resolution of this headset is great HOWEVER look up “edge to edge clarity” and “sweet spot” on this VR. They both leave much to be desired.
I contacted HP to return mine on Wednesday, the rep first asked me why I am returning it now, then said its passed the return date (it hasn’t) and then said I will get a return # by email in 2 days (I haven’t). Contacted again on Friday to confirm my request was in the system, they re-requested the return from UPS. We’ll see how it goes.

Overall, if you need a VR headset now, check out oculus 2 for the best bang/buck.
If you can wait, wait for the next gen VRs (but that’s always the case, newer - better) and games to be optimized, and get the best hardware available to run it.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2006
1116 posts
500 upvotes
Ottawa
I was going to buy a G2 but then read about all the AMD chipset (PCIe/USB) issues (that affect USB3 headsets) and held off.

Does anyone know if those issues are resolved?
McDealer: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Wolfman: Holy s*** , it's McDealer!
Jul 13, 2007
210 posts
380 upvotes
Kingston, ON
McDealer wrote: I was going to buy a G2 but then read about all the AMD chipset (PCIe/USB) issues (that affect USB3 headsets) and held off.

Have this headset and x570... resolved? No... but there are workarounds. (I had to buy a $20 USB adapter off of Amazon).

If you're looking for the best visual quality, this is the headset, but it'll take some work. If you're just looking to fire-up-and-go... I'd go with the Quest 2.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1752 upvotes
TheLegendz wrote: Here’s my two cents;
This price is good
If you are buying this for SIMs like most, be wary that you will need a beast of a computer to run this at the native resolution (20/30 series RTX). Even 30 series will downgrade at times (ex. MSFS2020) due to game not being optimized)
The resolution of this headset is great HOWEVER look up “edge to edge clarity” and “sweet spot” on this VR. They both leave much to be desired.
I contacted HP to return mine on Wednesday, the rep first asked me why I am returning it now, then said its passed the return date (it hasn’t) and then said I will get a return # by email in 2 days (I haven’t). Contacted again on Friday to confirm my request was in the system, they re-requested the return from UPS. We’ll see how it goes.

Overall, if you need a VR headset now, check out oculus 2 for the best bang/buck.
If you can wait, wait for the next gen VRs (but that’s always the case, newer - better) and games to be optimized, and get the best hardware available to run it.
I have the Quest 2 and play PCVR games wireless with ALVR. I have internet access disabled so any telemetry should be blocked .... (though i'm currently unable to experience the 120Hz update due to this)

Simple games like Beatsaber are fine on something like a GTX1050 even at 90Hz, but un-optimized games like VRChat will grind to a halt.

I currently have a 6800XT and it's able to play everything at a solid 90Hz. Once I figure out how to sideload the 120Hz update, I will try that aswell.

Quest 2 imo has horrible FOW if you're not using the middle IPD setting. The Quest 1 is already starting to get neglected, so I wouldn't recommend buying one in 2021.
Feb 12, 2014
749 posts
1609 upvotes
vancouver
TheLegendz wrote: Here’s my two cents;
This price is good

Is it the best bang for buck? Because my friend bought it and she has to buy the elite strap which was like 100$ and new face cover to make it comfortable and also bought a portable battery pack aswell to balance headset.
All that it was like 200$ more for accessories to make it more comfortable and last more than 2 hours.
She also bought a 3rd party link cable which would only register as usb 2 so she had to buy the official link cable for like 80$.
So she added like almost 300$ on top of the quest 2 price.
Apr 11, 2020
294 posts
614 upvotes
AllanT232 wrote: Is it the best bang for buck? Because my friend bought it and she has to buy the elite strap which was like 100$ and new face cover to make it comfortable and also bought a portable battery pack aswell to balance headset.
All that it was like 200$ more for accessories to make it more comfortable and last more than 2 hours.
She also bought a 3rd party link cable which would only register as usb 2 so she had to buy the official link cable for like 80$.
I have had the quest 2 since release. I bought a non oem knock off of the elite for $20 off ebay, works perfectly. Added silicone controller covers for grip and hand straps for certain games, another $15, 15ft usb c cable off amazon was $15, works well enough although I hate tethering so I don't.
Balance issues are exaggerated, I have no problems, neither do my 2 kids who are both under 10 yrs old. Your neck strengthens and gets used to it, if anything my neck is in better shape because of it.
I have no issues with battery life and get about 2 1/2 hrs, I can't remember the last time it wasn't enough. If I needed to though, I could easily pop a power bank in my pocket and have the cable go behind me out of the way. I also toyed around with attaching a 5000mah one to the back of the non oem strap, worked well and barely noticed it, took it off after a while though because I never needed it. If buying this because you're on a limited budget, $50-75 all in will get you all the additional non oem accessories, putting you a bit over $500 all in if buying the 64gb version.
Dec 15, 2010
50 posts
84 upvotes
VR is still in its infancy stage, but it’s incredible what they are capable of.
Right now? Pick your poison.

I tried both oculus 2 and reverb g2.
Like you said you can spend more but as-is what comes in the package, my opinion is that oculus 2 is good value.
Another small annoyance I had w Reverb G2 is that the controllers are picky on the batteries. Even the batteries they came with reported low battery an hour into playing. This is due to their voltage requirements apparently.

At the end I didn’t keep either but I have a feeling I will definitely go back to VR in the future.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
11852 posts
9699 upvotes
Toronto
AllanT232 wrote: Is it the best bang for buck? Because my friend bought it and she has to buy the elite strap which was like 100$ and new face cover to make it comfortable and also bought a portable battery pack aswell to balance headset.
Good strap alternatives are common under $50, many already have a battery bank and they just added native wireless (Airlink) so link cable no longer needed. Don't have to spend a lot extra to have a good experience.

That being said Reverb G2 has best in class optics and doesn't require a FB login, so is a great option if you don't care about mobile VR.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1946 posts
1196 upvotes
dvdvideo wrote: Not sure I would drop $800 on this, if your very serious about vr and willing to spend this much the new HTC makes more sense. Otherwise the quest 2.
Isn't the new HTC Vive pro $1000 USD? That's basically twice the price thus not even in the same market.
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
<unnecessary>
Jun 17, 2007
296 posts
286 upvotes
Terrace
McDealer wrote: I was going to buy a G2 but then read about all the AMD chipset (PCIe/USB) issues (that affect USB3 headsets) and held off.

On a b450 chipset I haven't had any problems with USB, but I use the red gen 3.2 ports. I have had problems on front USB ports but NEVER the ones on the back. BIOS updates should help too
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1752 upvotes
You don't need any of those.

I use a regular USB battery pack to charge my Quest while playing. I just put the pack in my pocket.

Elite strap is totally optional.
This is how I have mine setup and I have no issue.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2001
3382 posts
1114 upvotes
coffeebean wrote: Isn't the new HTC Vive pro $1000 USD? That's basically twice the price thus not even in the same market.
Personally I'd call anything over $500 the "elite" vr market. If you have $800 to throw around at vr gaming (plus the cost of a good pc), you probably have $1200.....
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1946 posts
1196 upvotes
dvdvideo wrote: Personally I'd call anything over $500 the "elite" vr market. If you have $800 to throw around at vr gaming (plus the cost of a good pc), you probably have $1200.....
If that was the case, there would be no $800 headsets, only $1200 headsets.
<unnecessary>
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2694 posts
1175 upvotes
coffeebean wrote: Isn't the new HTC Vive pro $1000 USD? That's basically twice the price thus not even in the same market.
I wouldn't get the vive pro anyways, given my experience trying to deal with HTC's support for my vive. I'd get a valve index.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5975 posts
4422 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I second Valve Index. A very good upgrade from my oculus quest 2. The customer service is superb too. I accidentally pulled out the joystick on my controller when the strap hooked it and pulled. Free shipping to and back. Took about 2 weeks due to shortages for a new controller.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1946 posts
1196 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: I second Valve Index. A very good upgrade from my oculus quest 2. The customer service is superb too. I accidentally pulled out the joystick on my controller when the strap hooked it and pulled. Free shipping to and back. Took about 2 weeks due to shortages for a new controller.
Isn't the Index lower res than the G2?
<unnecessary>
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
11852 posts
9699 upvotes
Toronto
coffeebean wrote: Isn't the Index lower res than the G2?
Yes, but it has 144hz and knuckles (finger tracking) controllers.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2001
3382 posts
1114 upvotes
coffeebean wrote: If that was the case, there would be no $800 headsets, only $1200 headsets.
Your kind of missing the point......but ok.
There are very often products at mid price points that are poor overall value to those with the funds to spend a little bit more. You can debate if that's the case here, but you can't debate the existence of these scenarios.