Omen by HP- Ryzen 1700, GTX 1070, 16GB, 1TB/256GB SSD - $1550 - 12% Ebates

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2018 1:41 am
Tags:
None
Nov 29, 2004
295 posts
40 upvotes
Do you see any better gaming desktop? I'm going to use it for Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator... Well my employee is.
Aug 22, 2015
190 posts
168 upvotes
Longueuil, qc
Dell has some good options, but the 10-12% cash back push the Omen deal over it. Decided to order it, after some considerations.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1050 posts
332 upvotes
Victoria
I'm not very familiar with ebates. I clicked through the 12% Shop Now button and placed my order. Unfortunately, the order I placed didn't go through (credit card validation issue) so the order came up cancelled in my HP account. I called HP and they put the order through manually, but it generated a new order ID. The order is still in a processing state, so I expect I should wait until it's confirmed and then follow up with ebates if I don't see anything in my account? My worry is that because my order was done manually there won't be a record of it on my ebates visit. My account does show the ebates shopping trip. Are they pretty good about provide the rebate if you provide documentation of the purchase and there is a related ebates shopping trip?
[OP]
Aug 11, 2009
723 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
MikeyCanuck wrote: I'm not very familiar with ebates. I clicked through the 12% Shop Now button and placed my order. Unfortunately, the order I placed didn't go through (credit card validation issue) so the order came up cancelled in my HP account. I called HP and they put the order through manually, but it generated a new order ID. The order is still in a processing state, so I expect I should wait until it's confirmed and then follow up with ebates if I don't see anything in my account? My worry is that because my order was done manually there won't be a record of it on my ebates visit. My account does show the ebates shopping trip. Are they pretty good about provide the rebate if you provide documentation of the purchase and there is a related ebates shopping trip?

They are good, contact then they can manually link it since you have the shopping trip on record.
no external links allowed
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28011 posts
8449 upvotes
Ryzen Gaming Computer :facepalm: But decent price otherwise.
X-Nemesis wrote: Is there any reason to go for a gtx 1080 vs the 1070?

Does the breakdown go something like this:

1080ti - 4K gaming
1080 -1440p gaming
1070 - 1080p gaming
It does if you subscribe to the RFD school of thinking where you need a 1060 to play Overcooked :lol: Or of course a Switch because we all know how powerful the GPU is in that! :lol:

Otherwise it's laughable to think the 1070 would be limited to 1080p or that this would be a good choice for a 1080p gamer (wayyy too expensive for that).
Oct 29, 2009
205 posts
83 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Any good monitor deals to go along with this desktop?
May 25, 2009
234 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
no_bodyknows wrote: Shoot. OOS.
What a shame!! Been looking for a good gaming PC for a while, and was ready to bit the bullet on this... and then I saw it was OOS...
Aug 22, 2015
190 posts
168 upvotes
Longueuil, qc
gujuman23 wrote: What a shame!! Been looking for a good gaming PC for a while, and was ready to bit the bullet on this... and then I saw it was OOS...
Yeah, I jumped in yesterday on impulse, and not a moment too soon! If you're interested in VR, you can get in on the BB deal here, but you would be paying $250 more for the VR headset and a 2Tb HDD instead of a 1Tb (plus taxes and eBates you're missing). Or, you can check out the Dell deals that looked fair (to me).
May 25, 2009
234 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Spinifex wrote: Yeah, I jumped in yesterday on impulse, and not a moment too soon! If you're interested in VR, you can get in on the BB deal here, but you would be paying $250 more for the VR headset and a 2Tb HDD instead of a 1Tb (plus taxes and eBates you're missing). Or, you can check out the Dell deals that looked fair (to me).
I saw that!! But it's definitely out of my price range. I want to keep my entire setup under $2000 (I need to buy monitor(s) aswell) :-(

What dell ones were you thinking? I Saw that bestbuy has the Acer one for $1299.00 but it's a 3GB Radeon 580... so that was a bummer. 8GB and I would've jumped!
May 25, 2009
234 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Ahhh.... I guess the Inspiron is good, although 8GB more ram will run another $120 :-(
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1748 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver
Yesterday morning I got an error when checking out. Wanted to purchase last night and it was sold out. Woke up this morning and there was stock. After my purchase it went OOS. Lucky me?

The Best Buy one would've been a good alternative. Comes with i7 7700 rather than the Ryzen.

Now to look for a decent 24” monitor.
Feb 20, 2004
714 posts
131 upvotes
Markham
gujuman23 wrote:
What dell ones were you thinking? I Saw that bestbuy has the Acer one for $1299.00 but it's a 3GB Radeon 580... so that was a bummer. 8GB and I would've jumped!
This is the best Dell deal for the price. If the HP deal doesn't come back tomorrow,.I'm pulling the trigger on this Dell deal.

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktops ... btsb_s929e
May 25, 2009
234 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Fingers crossed! Hopefully it comes back in stock later tonight, or tomorrow morning!
Feb 20, 2004
714 posts
131 upvotes
Markham
Just found out that Ebates is 8% for Dell.
Nov 6, 2009
177 posts
98 upvotes
I know these pre-built computers look enticing but if you build your own computer you can either pay less, or for the same price get a much stronger system. I know some people think the "assembling" part is complicated, but its not. I watched a video and did mine in 2 hours.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1050 posts
332 upvotes
Victoria
Neverhood wrote: I know these pre-built computers look enticing but if you build your own computer you can either pay less, or for the same price get a much stronger system. I know some people think the "assembling" part is complicated, but its not. I watched a video and did mine in 2 hours.
It's not ALWAYS the case that a self-build is cheaper. I've built my last 3 PCs. I used PC part picker this time as a comparison and I really couldn't come close to the same price as the HP with the ebates discount. It helped that the HP on sale was about the perfect specs as to what I was looking for. And you are correct, assembling a PC is really not that difficult or scary. I'll still recommend that 9 times out of 10, especially if you have the patience to buy the components when there are good sales, and let them sit in the closet until you have all the parts you need.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4205 posts
3138 upvotes
Markham
Took a lot of willpower to hold off on this for the past few days. The 1070, 16GB RAM and the NVMe SSD at this pricepoint was basically unheard of but the biggest issue was that Ryzen CPU which will undoubtedly bottleneck before the 1070... Whoever configured this PC was an idiot, they should have put in a 1060 and shave off some $ from the price.

I ended up with the Dell Aurora deal in the flyer that went live this morning. Unfortunately Dell clamped down on the EPP/MPP codes (they were fine up to yesterday) but i7 8700 + 1060 + 8GB at $1399 is still ok. I ended up putting in an NVMe 256GB so total at $1550 before 8% CB and Dell promo card.