• Oct 11th, 2021 5:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1035 posts
686 upvotes
Gtown ON

[HP Shopping] HP Reverb G2 VR Headset - $647.20 plus 10% off Rakuten/ebates

Reviews seem decent, great resolution (4K per eye), field of view not so great.
Great for simulators, not so much for room based VR apparently.

More expensive than the Oculus, but for us that will not touch Facebook, it's still half price off the Valve Index, and looks like the Index controllers are compatible and would fix the room VR.

Needs a powerful video card.

Hopefully with it I will suck less at flight sims :)

To fully utilize the Reverb G2 VR Headset, HP recommends that your PC supports the following minimum specifications:

GRAPHICS:
DX12 capable graphics (NVIDIA GTX 1080, NVIDIA Quadro P5200, AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200: equivalent or better)
PROCESSOR:
Intel® Core™ i7 or better
MEMORY:
16 GB RAM or more
VIDEO OUT:
DisplayPort™1.3
USB PORTS:
1x USB 3.0 Type-C™ or Type-A (with included adapter)
Operating System:
Windows 10
8 replies
Apr 22, 2015
52 posts
105 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I have this headset. It is a decent headset if picture quality is what you're after. 4k picture with no screen door effect.

But downside is tracking is not as good as HTC vive's light house tracking. You will lose tracking if the controllers are not directly in front of your headset (eg. at the hips). You could in theory use HTC vive controllers with this headset if you have the controllers and lighthouse sensors but will require some extra tinkering to get it to work. Also, windows mixed reality software that you have to use with G2 is glitchy as hell and is also a downside.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1620 posts
2731 upvotes
Vancouver
This headset is crap for simulators.

As someone who plays DCS and Elite, what you want is FOV.

You DON'T want to feel like you're looking through a soda straw, destroys the VR part of VR
Jul 16, 2021
144 posts
190 upvotes
its a awesome headset.. but there is some announcement coming from lynx, varjo, vive and facebook this month and probably more, so it's a gamble and at worst you can pick it up on blackfriday
also the clarity over air link of the oculus quest 2 from version 33 update is supposed to be so much better
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28005 posts
13611 upvotes
RaidZero wrote: Facebook
Developer accounts are still available and will be until Jan 1 2023. What happens then is anyone's guess. I for one am hoping someone sues them over it.

Barring that, if you use ALVR or Air Link, you can use https://github.com/basti564/Oculess to disable anything Facebook related.
This does however prevent you from using Virtual Desktop (which I'm hoping the developer will release a standalone version or a sidequest only version).
Sideloading apks is unaffected.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
May 28, 2019
14 posts
17 upvotes
danascully wrote: This headset is crap for simulators.

You DON'T want to feel like you're looking through a soda straw, destroys the VR part of VR
Have you tried it? It's regarded as one of the best, if not the best for sim-type games. I have it and use it for racing games and it is so much sharper than the Odyssey+ I had previously.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1035 posts
686 upvotes
Gtown ON
danascully wrote: This headset is crap for simulators.

The Reverg G2 is beaten by the Valve Index, which is twice the price. I did not do a lot of research, but it seems that at this price, there's no HMD with a wider FOV, plus there are some "hacks" out there on how to improve it.
death_hawk wrote: Facebook
Thanks, but I really don't want to put a cent in their pocket. I would rather pay more for something else.
naylo44 wrote: Have you tried it? It's regarded as one of the best, if not the best for sim-type games. I have it and use it for racing games and it is so much sharper than the Odyssey+ I had previously.
This seems to be the consensus out there, at least in the sub $1000 category. This can change tomorrow with new devices though, but then always new devices are better, and I don't want to wait forever to try VR :)
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22889 posts
177956 upvotes
GTA
Hmm...definitely more tempting at this price and always wanted to try MSFS 2020 in VR. If I use reading glasses for reading/while at the computer but not otherwise / no regular prescription, is it true that you don't need glasses while using the headset due to the change in focal length?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28005 posts
13611 upvotes
RaidZero wrote: Thanks, but I really don't want to put a cent in their pocket. I would rather pay more for something else.
To be fair, estimates basically put it at cost. So by buying it you might not actually put that many pennies into their pocket.
As with most closed ecosystem consoles, the real money is in selling the software.

I did give them 30% of $20 when I bought Virtual Desktop but it's literally the only purchase I'm ever going to make on the Oculus store.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.