Students

HS grades compared to Univ

Poll: Compare HS grades to Univ

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2003
843 posts
1 upvote

HS grades compared to Univ

Might aswell help first years out, please post what your average mark was when compared to you HS average. Did it go up a bit, alot, same, small dip, noticeable or significant dip.
61 replies
Aug 11, 2005
633 posts
4 upvotes
Ever heard of Frosh-15? You will lose 15% off your original high school mark when you go to university. But don't worry, you'll get that back by gaining 15lbs. :)
Jun 6, 2005
525 posts
1 upvote
First year I went from a 95 average in high school down to about 75.

Second year so far though my average is back up to about ~90%. Although that's only three classes so far.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2002
6849 posts
12 upvotes
My grades went up a lot. I went from being a C+/B student in HS to a B+/A- student in University. More than HS, I think that University allows you to control your own education and there is no reason not to do well.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1071 posts
GTA
I finished highshcool with an 85..and first year of university i got an 88..but then dropped to only low to mid 80's now that i've finished 3rd year. So stayed pretty much the same ;)
|
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7551 posts
392 upvotes
BC
I drop roughly 10% on average. I think that's the norm.
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3638 posts
131 upvotes
Should post where you went to school, since it varies by province.

For example:

Alberta has standardized testing which accounts for 1/2 your grade 12 mark. Hence the overall averages tend to be lower. Usually around the 60% mark.

Whereas in Ontario, high school marks are overly inflated because of the high competition to get into university. I've asked many of my Toronto friends what sort of class averages they had in high school. They ranged from 80% to 90% class AVERAGES!

And through independant international study, Alberta (they rated US states and Canadian provinces as seperate entities) has the 2nd best overall education in the world, only behind Switzerland. Just more stringent testing than the rest of the country.

So a 90% student in Ontario is average, whereas a 90% student in Alberta is exceptional. And I'm sure it varies with the other provinces as well. I've known many 90% students from Ontario who got their asses kicked at the UofA and perform about as well as 70% Albertan students.

So yah, there's a lot more to things than just the numbers.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11461 posts
873 upvotes
Ottawa
bananaman wrote:Ever heard of Frosh-15? You will lose 15% off your original high school mark when you go to university. But don't worry, you'll get that back by gaining 15lbs. :)
Lol, that is exactly true :)
- Absolute
Oct 22, 2004
721 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Back in HS i got like A+, and now at Schulich I got an A.. so about 10%
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1071 posts
GTA
airodus wrote:Should post where you went to school, since it varies by province.

For example:

Alberta has standardized testing which accounts for 1/2 your grade 12 mark. Hence the overall averages tend to be lower. Usually around the 60% mark.

Whereas in Ontario, high school marks are overly inflated because of the high competition to get into university. I've asked many of my Toronto friends what sort of class averages they had in high school. They ranged from 80% to 90% class AVERAGES!

And through independant international study, Alberta (they rated US states and Canadian provinces as seperate entities) has the 2nd best overall education in the world, only behind Switzerland. Just more stringent testing than the rest of the country.

So a 90% student in Ontario is average, whereas a 90% student in Alberta is exceptional. And I'm sure it varies with the other provinces as well. I've known many 90% students from Ontario who got their asses kicked at the UofA and perform about as well as 70% Albertan students.

It varies hugely WITHIN Ontario too. Some highschools are just more difficult than others, and I've known people in Toronto who were getting 90s in HS but only 60s in my program..whereas people from my HS who got As stayed pretty much the same in Uni. Of course, it depends on your own study habits too. Some are just not up for the bigger workload.
|
[OP]
Feb 2, 2003
843 posts
1 upvote
[quote="airodus"]Should post where you went to school, since it varies by province.

QUOTE]

yeah I would like to but too many variables suchs as province/city where HS vs. Program/School now atternding.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2004
3511 posts
67 upvotes
Bowmanville
Saying a 90% student in Ontario is average is definitely over-simplifying things. At my high school, the average was probably in the low-mid 70's. I dropped ~10% first year, but brought it back up by the time I finished my program. I went to Western and did Astrophysics/Applied Math
Aug 4, 2005
36 posts
I don't think this poll is accurate because there are a lot of factors that are not considered. The biggest factor is the program you are enrolling into. Some programs are just harder than others. The other big factor is the university you attend. Some universities are harder than others and usually have higher entrance marks.
Feb 26, 2005
219 posts
94 upvotes
London
Had a high 70s average in high school. I'm now in my fourth year at university and my marks have gone up every year. My average now is in the high 80s
Dec 2, 2003
212 posts
11 upvotes
i was at a 82% in high school now done first year ubc with 76% so a 6% drop i guess ;/
Dec 11, 2003
20 posts
Peterborough
I entered university with a 66% average from high school and will graduate in June with a 85% cumulative average.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37031 posts
5086 upvotes
Winnipeg
willy_ph wrote:I entered university with a 66% average from high school and will graduate in June with a 85% cumulative average.
wow, you had a harder HS than university. totally opposite from everyone else.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Jun 6, 2005
525 posts
1 upvote
willy_ph wrote:I entered university with a 66% average from high school and will graduate in June with a 85% cumulative average.
I wonder how the hell you managed to get into university with a 66. And Ontario grades are inflated too. Ouch.

BC like Alberta has standardized tests that make up a large portion (40% in our case) of our grades. 60-70% is average. 80-85% gets you into university. 90%+ is considered outstanding and only achieved by maybe 2-3% of students.

Some schools (the US is notorious for this) give out A's like they're worthless. Dummies get straight A's. An A means something in BC.
Jul 9, 2004
306 posts
1 upvote
heh thats completely not true at all it really just depends on which school you go to. You're right since there's a lack of standardized testing there's a huge difference in difficulty between schools. In some other schools I know of people do get 90% averages and they're complete idiots while at my school for grade 12 math averages are like 50s and low 60s with one third of the class dropping out. The whole school is asian so you get the picture..
airodus wrote:Should post where you went to school, since it varies by province.

For example:

Nov 26, 2003
75 posts
Mississauga/GTA
high school was a test of how much you're willing to work, university is a test of how much you know. Big difference. Those out there who got 90's in highschool by working your ass off may not get as high results at university if you didnt understand what you were working on that well. This isnt to say that you dont have to work hard at university, you do, it's just a different type of work. University you need to understand the concepts a lot clearer then HS since in HS there were a bunch of random stupid assignments to boost poor test marks (i hated that)