Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

HSBC 3% HISA until Sep 3

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2019 9:24 am
Tags:
Jan 23, 2009
945 posts
1922 upvotes
Ontario

HSBC 3% HISA until Sep 3

Deal Link:
Expiry:
September 3, 2019
HSBC 3% HISA starting today Apr 15, 2019 until Sep 3 (new deposits over $50.000) not on their website yet. i just was told by HSBC employee

edit link up now https://www.hsbc.ca/savings-accounts/savings-offer/
Last edited by agit on Apr 15th, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
79 replies
Deal Addict
May 1, 2015
1089 posts
972 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does it count as new deposits if i move everything to checking account and back into savings?
If my post is helpful don't forget to hit that upvote!
Sep 6, 2006
28 posts
69 upvotes
Stay away from HSBC! It's the worse bank in Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3319 posts
2372 upvotes
Hmmm... I’m not putting that big amount of cash into a HISA so I’m nowhere close to obtaining that 3%. But still something to think about...
Aug 29, 2010
551 posts
622 upvotes
original wrote: Stay away from HSBC! It's the worse bank in Canada.
All subjective. I just closed all my Tangerine account as I got fed up with rep refusing to fix mom's locked account. My mom doesn't speak fluent English so I was just translating for her yet Tangerine rep refuses to help and kept saying I need to find their "cafe" to unlock her own account despite providing all security information. I got so fed up with lack of willingness to simply unlock her account and decided to close my account and her account altogether. When I tried to close my account, the rep fuc*s up again and closes all my account with money before paying off credit card bills, despite specifically instructed to pay bill first before closing account. He then asked for my permission to transfer money from my external account but yet again, doesn't transfer enough money despite me asking him to confirm amount twice.
For me, Tangerine is by far the worst bank ever as their employee can't even follow simple instructions, and refuses access to customers own account while keep saying that we need to go to their physical location to resolve the issue when there is next to no physical branch in the first place
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1336 posts
1202 upvotes
Calgary
I wonder if they allow opening up a joint account - to split up the interest income.
no sig
Sep 6, 2006
28 posts
69 upvotes
chinook79 wrote: All subjective. I just closed all my Tangerine account as I got fed up with rep refusing to fix mom's locked account. My mom doesn't speak fluent English so I was just translating for her yet Tangerine rep refuses to help and kept saying I need to find their "cafe" to unlock her own account despite providing all security information. I got so fed up with lack of willingness to simply unlock her account and decided to close my account and her account altogether. When I tried to close my account, the rep fuc*s up again and closes all my account with money before paying off credit card bills, despite specifically instructed to pay bill first before closing account. He then asked for my permission to transfer money from my external account but yet again, doesn't transfer enough money despite me asking him to confirm amount twice.
For me, Tangerine is by far the worst bank ever as their employee can't even follow simple instructions, and refuses access to customers own account while keep saying that we need to go to their physical location to resolve the issue when there is next to no physical branch in the first place
I agree it's subjective.
I had both Tangerine, HSBC and a few others before closing all my HSBC accounts. I'm not defending Tangerine, their reps are not the best. However, HSBC make it look like a superstar. their online/app is much better than HSBC (if you ever had a HSBC account to compare with). Their rate is much better than HSBC given that Tangerine has very few locations you if you ever need to see them in person. We accept this as a trade off of better rate when we open an account with them.

But for HSBC Canada, the issue is for the bank itself. They even removed the feature for free bank-to-bank transfer. On top of that, I have a couple of really experiences with them.
- I have a 3-year GIC maturing about 3 years ago in my RRSP account. They automatically renewed it for another 3-year term for 1.10% without my acknowledge, without sending me any renewal letter (I was partial responsible for this since I should take note for all my GICs myself). By the time I realized this, it was a already too late. So I waited until one week before it became matured again this Feb and called them I didn't want to renew it for another term as I was going to transfer the fund to my RRSP saving account - then transfer all the fund to another bank. Guess what, they renewed my GIC anyway, and I have to spend about 1 hour when I was in oversee to deal with them on the issue.
- I was trying to get some Japanese Yen for my oversea trip late Jan. Went to HSBC to check with their exchange rate. The rate posted on their website seems better than other banks. It turned out, their rate is not any better at all. Their quoted exchange rate is about about 2.75% over the market rate, another $10 service fee for transaction lower than $1000 CAD. What a joke!

At the end, I paid $75 fee out of my HSBC RRSP account to transfer the fund to other bank. Don't want to have anything to do with this bank for the rest of my life.

One more thing, whatever promotion they offer, don't even bother ask whether it applies to your existing fund in the account, because it never would.
Apr 2, 2004
313 posts
193 upvotes
Burnaby
original wrote: I agree it's subjective.
I had both Tangerine, HSBC and a few others before closing all my HSBC accounts. I'm not defending Tangerine, their reps are not the best. However, HSBC make it look like a superstar. their online/app is much better than HSBC (if you ever had a HSBC account to compare with). Their rate is much better than HSBC given that Tangerine has very few locations you if you ever need to see them in person. We accept this as a trade off of better rate when we open an account with them.

But for HSBC Canada, the issue is for the bank itself. They even removed the feature for free bank-to-bank transfer. On top of that, I have a couple of really experiences with them.
- I have a 3-year GIC maturing about 3 years ago in my RRSP account. They automatically renewed it for another 3-year term for 1.10% without my acknowledge, without sending me any renewal letter (I was partial responsible for this since I should take note for all my GICs myself). By the time I realized this, it was a already too late. So I waited until one week before it became matured again this Feb and called them I didn't want to renew it for another term as I was going to transfer the fund to my RRSP saving account - then transfer all the fund to another bank. Guess what, they renewed my GIC anyway, and I have to spend about 1 hour when I was in oversee to deal with them on the issue.
- I was trying to get some Japanese Yen for my oversea trip late Jan. Went to HSBC to check with their exchange rate. The rate posted on their website seems better than other banks. It turned out, their rate is not any better at all. Their quoted exchange rate is about about 2.75% over the market rate, another $10 service fee for transaction lower than $1000 CAD. What a joke!

At the end, I paid $75 fee out of my HSBC RRSP account to transfer the fund to other bank. Don't want to have anything to do with this bank for the rest of my life.

One more thing, whatever promotion they offer, don't even bother ask whether it applies to your existing fund in the account, because it never would.
For Japan, you should have withdraw the money from a local 7-11 ATM after you arrived. No surcharge fee plus near market spot rate for Premier account.

Even for many other countries, the rate that I often observed is near market rate.

For GIC and term deposit, you can set the maturity option via online banking.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2256 posts
6075 upvotes
Vancouver
original wrote: Stay away from HSBC! It's the worse bank in Canada.
HSBC is fine.
It's... a bank.
Apr 2, 2004
313 posts
193 upvotes
Burnaby
coolwasabi wrote: HSBC is fine.
It's... a bank.
Especially for those with a HK Premier MC and frequent HK often. There are so many restaurant and promo perks.

Like everything else, one needs to be an informed and savy consumer.
Jul 6, 2009
620 posts
91 upvotes
Markham
I made "bank" with hsbc chequing account promo, so no complaints. RBC interest rate is running out so perfect time to move my money here.
Sep 6, 2006
28 posts
69 upvotes
satoshi wrote: For Japan, you should have withdraw the money from a local 7-11 ATM after you arrived. No surcharge fee plus near market spot rate for Premier account.

Even for many other countries, the rate that I often observed is near market rate.

For GIC and term deposit, you can set the maturity option via online banking.
I needed some Japanese Yen before my trip so that I can have the local currency for getting to hotel from the airport. For the local withdraw in Japan, Stack MasterCard did the trick!

I don't think there is such thing to set the maturity option via online banking with HSBC Canada. I called their customer service a few months before the GIC matures and was told I the system would only open its update about one or two weeks before it matures.
Apr 2, 2004
313 posts
193 upvotes
Burnaby
original wrote: I needed some Japanese Yen before my trip so that I can have the local currency for getting to hotel from the airport. For the local withdraw in Japan, Stack MasterCard did the trick!

I don't think there is such thing to set the maturity option via online banking with HSBC Canada. I called their customer service a few months before the GIC matures and was told I the system would only open its update about one or two weeks before it matures.
If you fly into any one of the major airports in Japan, you shouldn't have problem finding a 7-11 ATM. 7-11 is also pretty much every where in urban areas of Japan, unless your trip involves somewhere really rural.

Maturity option is there, done it many times before. If you don't change it, the default is to renew.
Sep 6, 2006
28 posts
69 upvotes
satoshi wrote:
Maturity option is there, done it many times before. If you don't change it, the default is to renew.
Not for RRSP
Dec 26, 2007
88 posts
34 upvotes
Sorry if i missed this, anyone knows how the interests are paid, monthly or at promotion end? Thank You
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10731 posts
7891 upvotes
Global Village
Sumba wrote: Sorry if i missed this, anyone knows how the interests are paid, monthly or at promotion end? Thank You
Paid monthly.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Sep 7, 2011
345 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
Why are there all these savings deals that don't apply to TFSA accounts? Is there some reason that those account are disliked by the banks?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)