• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 3:06 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8357 posts
3796 upvotes
Markham
arcty5 wrote: Just another thought for ways to reach $5000. A bit risky but you could purchase Xboxs and PS5s and sell them for face value on craigslist.
People have hard time to spend 5000 in 6 months?
May 30, 2017
448 posts
250 upvotes
smartie wrote: People have hard time to spend 5000 in 6 months?
Well I'm in cost savings mode so my car isn't insured, I pay $5 for my phone bill, live with my parents and so I don't have any utilities or such.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8357 posts
3796 upvotes
Markham
If I don't care GCR, is October the best time to apply (if they give tec in September)?

Just also confirm i can book travel in air Canada website and apply tec to the travel, is this correct?
Dec 23, 2012
131 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver
dyu10075 wrote: I am also still waiting GCR rebate. Applied on Sep 08, received email about application being reviewed and they’ll inform in 2-3 weeks, received approval email next morning on Sep 09.

For those who received GCR rebate already, did you also get instant approval on the credit card?

Unfortunately, we can only report a problem to GCR after a month has elapsed after approval. I’m pretty sure I followed the steps correctly.
Same for family members: no GCR rebate with delayed approval and with in-branch ID verification. Looks like those with instant approval got it immediately.
Feb 4, 2019
919 posts
1365 upvotes
BC
smartie wrote: If I don't care GCR, is October the best time to apply (if they give tec in September)?

Just also confirm i can book travel in air Canada website and apply tec to the travel, is this correct?
Best time to apply is now.
TEC is added to your account right away and can be redeemed any time against charges that code as airline or generic travel (including online travel agencies).
Jul 8, 2019
238 posts
89 upvotes
nigeldell1 wrote: Same for family members: no GCR rebate with delayed approval and with in-branch ID verification. Looks like those with instant approval got it immediately.
I applied on Thursday and got instant approval. GCR shows the record in clicks but haven't added the $50 yet.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8357 posts
3796 upvotes
Markham
rhw123 wrote: Best time to apply is now.
TEC is added to your account right away and can be redeemed any time against charges that code as airline or generic travel (including online travel agencies).
Oh thanks

I thought it's like scotiabank momentum infinite that they deposit cash back in November so best time to apply is December in case you need cancel it
Sep 15, 2008
78 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary
peter330 wrote: I'm in the same boat, although I don't see the approval email I see the credit card account with 5k limit in my HSBC login (already a customer). It's been 3 days since I applied and no GCR credit yet.
Same here. Current hsbc customer. Instant approval. Received approval email. I see the card after I log in. In GCR, I see the tracker ID for hsbc. But still no credit there. Applied Sep 9.
Sep 14, 2018
280 posts
379 upvotes
arcty5 wrote: Just another thought for ways to reach $5000. A bit risky but you could purchase Xboxs and PS5s and sell them for face value on craigslist.
There's much easier ways to meet $5000 than the hassle of that and dealing with Craigslist sellers. Gift cards, pre paying bills for future months, switching payments to that card and even organic day to day spending.

As it's been pointed out elsewhere in this thread it's around $800 a month, or $200 a week which for most people is obtainable without the extra hassle of flipping consoles - although I just read your other replies and it seems like you're in a unique situation expense wise.

People should never sign up for cards like this without having a clear idea on how they'll meet the spend though. Promotions like this rely on people not meeting the spend cut off and also not cancelling after their first year - at least this one is FYF so lower risk if you don't meet the spend.
Last edited by asmcar on Sep 13th, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
11553 posts
4659 upvotes
drunkgoat wrote: What’s the value of 20k points?
WGretzky wrote: 100k = about $500

20k = about $100
What's that (both 20K an 100K) in terms of statement credit (or something like that - pure cash, another words) vs. travel rewards etc?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1276 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
Can you buy a prepaid MC to hit the minimum spend requirement?
May 30, 2017
448 posts
250 upvotes
asmcar wrote: There's much easier ways to meet $5000 than the hassle of that and dealing with Craigslist sellers. Gift cards, pre paying bills for future months, switching payments to that card and even organic day to day spending.

As it's been pointed out elsewhere in this thread it's around $800 a month, or $200 a week which for most people is obtainable without the extra hassle of flipping consoles - although I just read your other replies and it seems like you're in a unique situation expense wise.

People should never sign up for cards like this without having a clear idea on how they'll meet the spend though. Promotions like this rely on people not meeting the spend cut off and also not cancelling after their first year - at least this one is FYF so lower risk if you don't meet the spend.
Prepaying bills is a good idea. Didn't think of that.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2008 posts
907 upvotes
Ontario
smartie wrote: "Points can also be transferred to British Airways Executive Club, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles or Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer"
Which one is better, BA or Cathay?
Currently happy customer with Koodo,Telus and Freedom Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1447 posts
1102 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
What a moronic idea, who will pay you the list price of the console _plus tax_ when they can go buy it themselves first hand from the store? There won’t be any shortage of these next-gen consoles, don’t worry. Microsoft and Sony don’t have crappy supply chain issues like Nintendo does.
Feb 13, 2006
287 posts
35 upvotes
20k pts by default. If you are not a resident of Quebec, you can receive the incremental 80,000 Points if you make eligible purchases in the aggregate amount of $5,000 or more within 180 days of opening or upgrading your account.

So if you want to get 100k pts, you would expect to spend $5k in 180 days.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

ericdao, dyu10075