• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 9:14 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3761 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
csp wrote: Yes, that's right. You can check on this thread and reddit for TEC tricks etc. It's also 3% equivalent cashback on travel expenses, hence why the line above.
What's TEC?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5143 posts
2752 upvotes
What a failure :(. Applied last week and was told to go to the branch just after entering residency information. So I booked an appointment (on Friday) at 2:30pm for today. I took an hour off work, went to the branch, the lady said she had declined the appointment already, but I did not receive any email or anything about it. While I was there, there was a lady who was complaining about their service, over 20 years as their customer, she said how horrible their service was (her exact words). She had an appointment for renewal of her mortgage but no record of the rep's name she booked with at the branch so they couldn't help her :(. Anyhow, for me, the rep asked if I wanted to wait and she may have a few minutes after she finishes her current customer (supposed to be my slot), I said no thanks and walked out of there as quick as I went in. I will skip this one to avoid any mess I may run into in the future after being their customer
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7012 posts
3327 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
cessnabmw wrote: What's TEC?
What is TEC?
mkl38s wrote: What a failure :(. Applied last week and was told to go to the branch just after entering residency information. So I booked an appointment (on Friday) at 2:30pm for today. I took an hour off work, went to the branch, the lady said she had declined the appointment already, but I did not receive any email or anything about it. While I was there, there was a lady who was complaining about their service, over 20 years as their customer, she said how horrible their service was (her exact words). She had an appointment for renewal of her mortgage but no record of the rep's name she booked with at the branch so they couldn't help her :(. Anyhow, for me, the rep asked if I wanted to wait and she may have a few minutes after she finishes her current customer (supposed to be my slot), I said no thanks and walked out of there as quick as I went in. I will skip this one to avoid any mess I may run into in the future after being their customer
HSBC phone and live chat rep has no clue about what is going on. So do not trust things they say.
I think the live chat agent tell everyone to bring their T4 and pay stub to the appointment. It is probably in the manual they have in hand.
That being said, that lady should have called you or emailed you about cancelling the appointment.
But you inspired me.
I can walk into the branch and get this sorted. If they tell me to book an appointment and I can say I tried, but they declined my appointment without notifying me. So i dont want to waste my time anymore. Be firm, but polite. They may help you.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8585 posts
3976 upvotes
Markham
cessnabmw wrote: What's TEC?
"$100 annual travel enhancement credit
Redeemable towards select airline seat upgrades, airline baggage fees and airport lounge passes."
Nov 23, 2004
853 posts
206 upvotes
how long did it take for your card to come in the mail? i signed up via GCR and was approved instantly over a week ago. it shows up when i log into my HSBC accounts online. still haven't received the card.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1113 posts
462 upvotes
maratliang wrote: We are on the same boat. Still no cash back from GCR although the credit card is attached to my online banking. I guess once we choose the option to apply as an existing HSBC customer, GCR somehow automatically blocked the rebate... Need at least 3 weeks to submit missing cash back claim....
For those waiting to receive the GCR rebate, are they usually immediate? The terms say specifically: • Cash Back Rebate will be paid following 90 days after online application approval by GreatCanadianRebates

I'm new to GCR, so I have no experience in how quick these rebates come
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1952 posts
376 upvotes
GTA
mkl38s wrote: What a failure :(. Applied last week and was told to go to the branch just after entering residency information. So I booked an appointment (on Friday) at 2:30pm for today. I took an hour off work, went to the branch, the lady said she had declined the appointment already, but I did not receive any email or anything about it. While I was there, there was a lady who was complaining about their service, over 20 years as their customer, she said how horrible their service was (her exact words). She had an appointment for renewal of her mortgage but no record of the rep's name she booked with at the branch so they couldn't help her :(. Anyhow, for me, the rep asked if I wanted to wait and she may have a few minutes after she finishes her current customer (supposed to be my slot), I said no thanks and walked out of there as quick as I went in. I will skip this one to avoid any mess I may run into in the future after being their customer
This is similar to my experience. I have a really good credit score and get my card approvals directly online but HSBC seems to want some to visit their branches and they are not very accommodating. If this is what the initial experience is like, I hate to think what would be like down the road. So a pass for me as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1913 posts
495 upvotes
Any first time clients who got instant approval receive their card yet without going into the branch? I'm confused they are calling people into branch for verification after online approval... I don't know of any bank that behaves like this.
Dec 31, 2010
880 posts
326 upvotes
Richmond Hill
what a s#!& show...
applied online through GCR, got a message saying I need to verify ID and book appointment.
filled out a form to book appointment never heard back so I went in first thing in the morning.
was told that I need 30-60 minutes with a rep, but all reps are busy told to rebook and come back the next day.
when I returned the rep was clueless, even though I printed email with reference number.
rep ran around the branch asking everyone about the offer and not one soul knew about it.
rep started inputting info in the system and demanded that I provide sin.
I didnt want to provide sin and they said they couldnt proceed and that SIN is absolutely mandatory.
I asked them to look into it, they were hesitant but reluctantly somehow advanced in the application.
got initial approval of 10k but rep told me that I will need to provide a SIN later....?
then rep was very insistent that I open accounts and at the end asked to rate them well on customer satisfaction survey.
this has been my most frustrating experience applying for a credit card, what a joke seriously.
I was going to err on the side of an incompetent branch, but seeing how others are having similar or worse experiences, must be company wide...
Oct 27, 2012
439 posts
232 upvotes
I imagine there's no way to combine/share points between 2 accounts is there? I'm thinking of applying for both my wife and I. At first I was just gonna apply myself and take a supplementary card for the wife, but then I realized I'd be missing on another $650 and I would have to pay the $50 for the sup. card. Even if you can't combine I'm probably still gonna do 2 applications. We shouldn't have a problem spending $10k in 6 months.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3207 posts
2981 upvotes
Mordor
ZeroToHero wrote: what a s#!& show...
applied online through GCR, got a message saying I need to verify ID and book appointment.
filled out a form to book appointment never heard back so I went in first thing in the morning.
was told that I need 30-60 minutes with a rep, but all reps are busy told to rebook and come back the next day.
when I returned the rep was clueless, even though I printed email with reference number.
rep ran around the branch asking everyone about the offer and not one soul knew about it.
rep started inputting info in the system and demanded that I provide sin.
I didnt want to provide sin and they said they couldnt proceed and that SIN is absolutely mandatory.
I asked them to look into it, they were hesitant but reluctantly somehow advanced in the application.
got initial approval of 10k but rep told me that I will need to provide a SIN later....?
then rep was very insistent that I open accounts and at the end asked to rate them well on customer satisfaction survey.
this has been my most frustrating experience applying for a credit card, what a joke seriously.
I was going to err on the side of an incompetent branch, but seeing how others are having similar or worse experiences, must be company wide...
Which branch, so people can avoid