• Sep 22nd, 2020 4:26 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6819 posts
2884 upvotes
Montreal
kulb wrote: Did you receive your card?
I applied In July, they asked me to go to branch, I did go and answered a bunch of questions.

Only credit card I had to do that.
Fan of: PC Financial, HP Instant Ink, HSBC bank account, GCR
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5375 posts
4068 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: What a failure :(. Applied last week and was told to go to the branch just after entering residency information. So I booked an appointment (on Friday) at 2:30pm for today. I took an hour off work, went to the branch, the lady said she had declined the appointment already, but I did not receive any email or anything about it. While I was there, there was a lady who was complaining about their service, over 20 years as their customer, she said how horrible their service was (her exact words). She had an appointment for renewal of her mortgage but no record of the rep's name she booked with at the branch so they couldn't help her :(. Anyhow, for me, the rep asked if I wanted to wait and she may have a few minutes after she finishes her current customer (supposed to be my slot), I said no thanks and walked out of there as quick as I went in. I will skip this one to avoid any mess I may run into in the future after being their customer
I'm feeling buyer's remorse with opening this card, and now wishing I was in your shoes. This card is going to bring in around $650 with $5000 MSR, which is about 13% return. I'm beginning to think now that I'd prefer the simplicity of the 10% cash back cards with TD, CIBC, BMO and Amex. My wife and I have been practically non-stop on 10 different FYF cards with 10% cash back spending on ANYTHING promos, since this past Nov. HSBC is going to make me work for this extra $150 on $5000 spending, so I hope these issues won't be a concern for me, as a new client. IOW, enjoy your comfy shoes.
Feb 20, 2014
127 posts
44 upvotes
Ottawa
How does this card compare to NBC elite card? I am not considering the fyf as deal breaker. Thx
Jul 5, 2017
71 posts
29 upvotes
Slightly OT, but does anyone have good suggestions on how to use the points since there is no travel being done in the short to medium term? I have about 50k points that no purchases qualify for rcently.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1428 posts
1075 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
bizee-bee wrote: I'm feeling buyer's remorse with opening this card, and now wishing I was in your shoes. This card is going to bring in around $650 with $5000 MSR, which is about 13% return. I'm beginning to think now that I'd prefer the simplicity of the 10% cash back cards with TD, CIBC, BMO and Amex. My wife and I have been practically non-stop on 10 different FYF cards with 10% cash back spending on ANYTHING promos, since this past Nov. HSBC is going to make me work for this extra $150 on $5000 spending, so I hope these issues won't be a concern for me, as a new client. IOW, enjoy your comfy shoes.
Or a TD Aeroplan Card, 25k miles for $1500 spend worth 1/6th at a minimum 16.6%. I’m basically on the fence because of it.
Nov 22, 2012
543 posts
510 upvotes
NS
ovaltene wrote: Slightly OT, but does anyone have good suggestions on how to use the points since there is no travel being done in the short to medium term? I have about 50k points that no purchases qualify for rcently.
You can redeem HSBC Rewards for gift cards, Some have reported decent returns (almost as good as travel redemptions).
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3436 posts
3272 upvotes
Montreal
bizee-bee wrote: I'm feeling buyer's remorse with opening this card, and now wishing I was in your shoes. This card is going to bring in around $650 with $5000 MSR, which is about 13% return. I'm beginning to think now that I'd prefer the simplicity of the 10% cash back cards with TD, CIBC, BMO and Amex. My wife and I have been practically non-stop on 10 different FYF cards with 10% cash back spending on ANYTHING promos, since this past Nov. HSBC is going to make me work for this extra $150 on $5000 spending, so I hope these issues won't be a concern for me, as a new client. IOW, enjoy your comfy shoes.
For Quebec, it is the opposite. We love this type of credit card. No spending required. Just need to keep account active for 3 months to get all the bonus points. For the cash back credit card, we really have to spend in order to get cash back...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5375 posts
4068 upvotes
Altera wrote: Or a TD Aeroplan Card, 25k miles for $1500 spend worth 1/6th at a minimum 16.6%. I’m basically on the fence because of it.
I have a bank of 1.5M Aeroplans, so the TD Aeroplan card is not suitable for me. I'd rather have a go at the TD First Class Travel at 60,000 points with $1500 . The 60K is worth $300 through Expedia4TD or $240 for Book-Any-Way travel outside that portal, which is 20% and 16%, respectively. More reasons why I'm feeling like opening this HSBC WE MC with 13% nominal return wasn't the brightest move on my part. Maybe if travel was opened up, then it'd be a different story.
Feb 10, 2018
909 posts
567 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: What a failure :(. Applied last week and was told to go to the branch just after entering residency information. So I booked an appointment (on Friday) at 2:30pm for today. I took an hour off work, went to the branch, the lady said she had declined the appointment already, but I did not receive any email or anything about it. While I was there, there was a lady who was complaining about their service, over 20 years as their customer, she said how horrible their service was (her exact words). She had an appointment for renewal of her mortgage but no record of the rep's name she booked with at the branch so they couldn't help her :(. Anyhow, for me, the rep asked if I wanted to wait and she may have a few minutes after she finishes her current customer (supposed to be my slot), I said no thanks and walked out of there as quick as I went in. I will skip this one to avoid any mess I may run into in the future after being their customer
It is sad. Unfortunately, stories like yours are not an exception, they are the rule.
Feb 10, 2018
909 posts
567 upvotes
EDL67134234 wrote: It is sad. Unfortunately, stories like yours are not an exception, they are the rule.
For those that got told to come into a branch, have you called in by phone and try to talk to their credit analysts?

I called in today and their frontline CS said they can't do that and I need to apply online. I already did....... that is why I am calling. They mumbled something and hung up on me.

Jeez, I sworn that I will never go with HSBC ever again after my first merry-go-round. This offer was too good to pass up, but after reading the stories here andmy first hand experience, I might just say screw it and take a loss with that hard credit hit.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2702 posts
1212 upvotes
My wife was instantly approved but I had to go into a branch. Was going to give up but changed my mind while shopping today and dropped into a branch.
After reading a few of the less than stellar experiences I figured this will not be fun.
Great experience. The rep was confused then handed me over to a senior guy. Finished setting up the account and cleaned up some application issues.
Tried to sell me a mortgage (1.79%) and then we discussed travel insurance.
Dec 31, 2010
866 posts
299 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MMMM wrote: My wife was instantly approved but I had to go into a branch. Was going to give up but changed my mind while shopping today and dropped into a branch.
After reading a few of the less than stellar experiences I figured this will not be fun.
Great experience. The rep was confused then handed me over to a senior guy. Finished setting up the account and cleaned up some application issues.
Tried to sell me a mortgage (1.79%) and then we discussed travel insurance.
sounds like like you found one rep who actually knows what they are doing?
your wife still has to go to the branch to pick up her card though, so fingers crossed that goes over well..
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2702 posts
1212 upvotes
ZeroToHero wrote: sounds like like you found one rep who actually knows what they are doing?
your wife still has to go to the branch to pick up her card though, so fingers crossed that goes over well..
wife got this so not sure...
• You will receive your credit card PIN by mail at your residential address within 5-10 business days
• You will then receive your credit card along with a welcome pack. Please activate the card using the enclosed instructions
Aug 17, 2017
19 posts
9 upvotes
Applied last night, was asked to come into a branch. I will probably pass/wait a few months as I don't quite meet the Income needs. Applied through Incognito mode, through GCR and uploaded picture of licence/photo of myself.

If I apply in a month or two, will i get the same result or is it just best to let this one go?

Thread Information

There are currently 12 users viewing this thread. (8 members and 4 guests)

iverge, Calgon1, RaptorsWin, MangoManx, stupidguy_101, kc2168, nuropa, tareks