Hot Deals

[HSBC] Hot - HSBC WE MC - 100k plus FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 4:26 pm
Tags:
Oct 27, 2012
350 posts
165 upvotes
polish_jr333 wrote: Just got IA $8K limit following the tips in here: Opened an incognito mode tab in Chrome on my phone; logged into GCR; searched HSBC; was redirected to HSBC in another incognito mode; took a picture of my DR and recorded a video. Thanks OP!

Was looking for a new CC as I'm also a Cap One Aspire WE convert. It was my daily driver so meeting the HSBC $5K spend in half a year will be easy enough. Don't know what to do about the second card fee... I need a second card for my wife if we're truly going to replace the Cap One card but forking over $50 bucks just doesn't sit well with me. We'll see.

I've also got the old Fido/Rogers card from back when it offered 4% cashback on foreign purchases to counteract Mastercard's 2.5% fx fee but I don't see that being offered nowadays so wondering if I still have that benefit grandfathered on my card.. no matter, I'll get rid of that card if I don't pay fx fees on this HSBC WE.

Don't know why people here are saying this card makes the most sense for people who travel... even one flight a year means using the $500 in points. So just to confirm, I can redeem points on flights purchases that show up on my statement? And it sounds like HSBC doesn't check the $100 TEC credit much so it should be easy to use that on standard travel charges?
Have you considered having your wife apply for her own card? That way you avoid the $50 supplementary card fee and get another $600 bonus. I know the rewards will be separate but it's still much better than going the Authorized User route, at least for the first year.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1872 posts
458 upvotes
How do you cancel this card if you are approved instantly but decide not to visit the branch when asked to do so?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6554 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kulb wrote: How do you cancel this card if you are approved instantly but decide not to visit the branch when asked to do so?
Do you still need to go inside the branch if you are approved? I thought they just mail you the card.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1872 posts
458 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Do you still need to go inside the branch if you are approved? I thought they just mail you the card.
I am not sure but other people here are saying they were asked to come to the branch even after they got instant approval.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6554 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kulb wrote: I am not sure but other people here are saying they were asked to come to the branch even after they got instant approval.
So you need to go in regardless of approved or not?
That is crazy, given their 10-4pm mon to friday hrs.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1872 posts
458 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: So you need to go in regardless of approved or not?
That's right. I am regretting my decision to apply.
Sep 14, 2018
243 posts
274 upvotes
kulb wrote: That's right. I am regretting my decision to apply.
Why not just wait and see if you're asked to go in then regret it? Like you're regretting something that hasn't happened yet.

I don't get people saying they're regretting applying for a FYF card, it cost you nothing, you might not get asked to go in. If you are and you chose not to then it's a pity you have a hit on your credit but that'll bounce back in a few months and it's unlikely it'll severely effect your life.

I think most people who don't want to go in probably over declared income. I'd still go into a branch for $500, say it takes an hour or two, that's at worst $250 an hour.
Jul 8, 2005
584 posts
125 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: So you need to go in regardless of approved or not?
Their hours have been extended to 10-6pm starting this week and now open Saturdays. The hours on Google are old so I recommend referring to the HSBC website for updated hours. As for going into the branch, I walked in without an appointment and it took about 30-45 minutes with the advisor. Its a hit or miss with the walk-in as it'll depend how busy they are, but its better than the appointment system that takes them a long time to respond. Your identification verification experience in branch will depend on the rep. Mine was just providing two pieces of ID (driver license and another credit card), no proof of income, and no pressured selling besides a quick mention if I wanted to create a bank account with them.
Last edited by Mystic_Champion on Sep 15th, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6554 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mystic_Champion wrote: Their hours have been extended to 10-6pm starting this week and now open Saturdays. The hours on Google are old so I recommend referring to the HSBC website for updated hours. As for going into the branch, I walked in without an appointment and it took about 30-45 minutes with the advisor. Its a hit or miss with the walk-in as it'll depend how busy they are, but its better than the appointment system that takes them a long time to respond. Your identification verification experience in branch will depend on the rep. Mine was just providing two pieces of ID (driver license and another credit card).
Why it takes that long? 45 min to verify 2 IDs?
Jun 6, 2011
252 posts
179 upvotes
Ottawa
Supertrash17 wrote: Have you considered having your wife apply for her own card? That way you avoid the $50 supplementary card fee and get another $600 bonus. I know the rewards will be separate but it's still much better than going the Authorized User route, at least for the first year.
Her income is really really low. The requirement is household income but then during the application they ask for personal... So don't know how she'd get past that without lying... But I'd be all over doubling our benefits!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6554 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
polish_jr333 wrote: Her income is really really low. The requirement is household income but then during the application they ask for personal... So don't know how she'd get past that without lying... But I'd be all over doubling our benefits!
It can be either personal or household. So even if she has zero income, she should qualify if household income is enough.
Jul 8, 2005
584 posts
125 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Why it takes that long? 45 min to verify 2 IDs?
My rep was a bit "slow" in inputting data on the computer. Had to go through the application and confirm with you certain fields (my name was an issue as they had to use my legal name on the application even though all my other credit cards only ever had my common name, e.g. they required John McDonald Doe even though all non-government docs have me as John Doe). She also had to create an HSBC profile using data from my card application and then having to prepare forms to sign like the individual tax residency self-certification form required by law. Last year when I applied and also had to go in branch, they validated my identity and that was it and the credit department was going to review the application, she never told me if I was approved or not and for what limit (whereas in this case they did). I never saw a credit check and I never got anything in the mail. So its a hit or miss depending on the rep.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1872 posts
458 upvotes
asmcar wrote: Why not just wait and see if you're asked to go in then regret it? Like you're regretting something that hasn't happened yet.

I don't get people saying they're regretting applying for a FYF card, it cost you nothing, you might not get asked to go in. If you are and you chose not to then it's a pity you have a hit on your credit but that'll bounce back in a few months and it's unlikely it'll severely effect your life.

I think most people who don't want to go in probably over declared income. I'd still go into a branch for $500, say it takes an hour or two, that's at worst $250 an hour.
Point taken, agreed I should wait to see what happens in my case.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6554 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mystic_Champion wrote: My rep was a bit "slow" in inputting data on the computer. Had to go through the application and confirm with you certain fields (my name was an issue as they had to use my legal name on the application even though all my other credit cards only ever had my common name, e.g. they required John McDonald Doe even though all non-government docs have me as John Doe). She also had to create an HSBC profile using data from my card application and then having to prepare forms to sign like the individual tax residency self-certification form required by law. Last year when I applied and also had to go in branch, they validated my identity and that was it and the credit department was going to review the application, she never told me if I was approved or not and for what limit (whereas in this case they did). I never saw a credit check and I never got anything in the mail. So its a hit or miss depending on the rep.
They are really serious about this. I think probably they are under heavy monitor from government given their history.
Oct 27, 2012
350 posts
165 upvotes
I applied for both my wife and I, using GCR and Incognito Mode on phone. Took photos of our Drivers Licenses and each took that small selfie video. I got instantly approved for 10K (no need to go in branch, it said I will get my card in the mail). My wife's application needs to be "reviewed" (can take 2-3 weeks it said, not too hopeful). She has no income (extended parental leave) but our household is enough. We'll see how it goes. The nearest branch is 2 hours away for us.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

smackioio