• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 4:26 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2118 posts
1240 upvotes
North Vancouver
What a flipping hassle! I applied online last week through GCR and got a message saying that I needed to verify my ID and book an appointment which I expected as I have had ID theft in the past and my credit file is flagged to protect me. I went to the local branch for my appointment today only to find that the guy I was assigned to no longer works there! So, another rep then assisted me but he couldn't find my application in their system. I showed him my email with my confirmation number from HSBC but that didn't help him find anything- unbelievable. I also asked him about GCR and showed him a screen shot of my GCR click history Tracking ID and asked if he could add that number to my application somewhere (a notes field perhaps?) but of course he had no idea about GCR or how to help me with that. I have been approved now and will be getting a card soon. Any thoughts on what I should do regarding the GCR rebate?
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17269 posts
4030 upvotes
Toronto
Sorcerer wrote: What a flipping hassle! I applied online last week through GCR and got a message saying that I needed to verify my ID and book an appointment which I expected as I have had ID theft in the past and my credit file is flagged to protect me. I went to the local branch for my appointment today only to find that the guy I was assigned to no longer works there! So, another rep then assisted me but he couldn't find my application in their system. I showed him my email with my confirmation number from HSBC but that didn't help him find anything- unbelievable. I also asked him about GCR and showed him a screen shot of my GCR click history Tracking ID and asked if he could add that number to my application somewhere (a notes field perhaps?) but of course he had no idea about GCR or how to help me with that. I have been approved now and will be getting a card soon. Any thoughts on what I should do regarding the GCR rebate?
Not sure why you expect a branch employee to know anything about GCR. GCR is just an affiliate, and gets paid that way, the banks have hundreds of affiliates and you can become one too if you have anywhere to advertise their products.

Just send a request to GCR to correct a missing rebate if you dont see it in your account
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Nov 2, 2016
49 posts
23 upvotes
The HSBC inquiry is showing as a soft inquiry on my equifax report do they not hard check until they verify ID?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6819 posts
2884 upvotes
Montreal
Ehulk101 wrote: The HSBC inquiry is showing as a soft inquiry on my equifax report do they not hard check until they verify ID?
I got my hard check at branch when I did ID verification, since I was not approved online.

It might be different for people who got automatic approval online.
Fan of: PC Financial, HP Instant Ink, HSBC bank account, GCR
Apr 21, 2010
57 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone received the package? Waiting for the card to make a big purchase.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
11824 posts
3151 upvotes
Scarberia
c001m4n wrote: Just applied and got approved for 10k with GCR link on IPhone safari, used driver’s license and didn’t give them a SIN. It asked for a selfie, it didn’t ask to take a video. Thanks OP
iphone and iOS apps don't require video i guess only a pic selfie! not bad, i think on android its a short video u must make to verify 3 numbers on screen
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Mar 30, 2018
499 posts
374 upvotes
srz5095 wrote: Thanks OP, applied on mobile and provided a picture of license and video. Approved instantly for 7K limit. I am not an existing HSBC customer
Recieved confirmation email from GCR on the cashback
Oct 22, 2016
546 posts
430 upvotes
Comox Valley
I applied 2 days ago, going through rebate site, and using my ipad. HSBC advised me that I had to go into bank, to confirm who I was. I think I made a mistake answering some of Equifax credit report questions, due to TD using different names for their credit lines, etc. If you apply, it would not hurt to have your credit report open (use Borrowell for free access). At time of application I booked an appointment at their local branch. Yesterday HSBC send me an generic email stating no appointment for you "We tried to book an appointment at ########## SHOPPERS ROW branch on Fri 9/18/2020 at 10:00 AM, as there were no slots available we are unable to book an appointment."

I applied again this morning using my phone, different email, and different GCR account. This time it was approved and will be mailed out to me. Good news, I am here for the points.

Thanks to the OP, and the folk that posted the GCR link, much appreciated.
Mar 1, 2014
56 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
I was also told to go into a branch to verify my information, but this morning I re-applied using my phone browser, scanned my ID, and took a photo of myself (no video) and I was instantly approved.

Thanks for the advice on this one! :)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2118 posts
1240 upvotes
North Vancouver
deal_with_singh wrote: Not sure why you expect a branch employee to know anything about GCR. GCR is just an affiliate, and gets paid that way, the banks have hundreds of affiliates and you can become one too if you have anywhere to advertise their products.

Just send a request to GCR to correct a missing rebate if you dont see it in your account
Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't expect the HSBC rep to know about GCR and be able to help me with that; however, when I asked him if he could please make a note on my application regarding the GCR Tracking ID, he said that there wasn't anywhere where he could do that and my sense was that that he didn't really care either. I will follow up with GCR once I have received the card.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Sep 19, 2010
26 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I applied online for a HSBC Bank Account and WE MC at the same time, and was told to go into the branch to verify like many people above. I took a picture of the reference code and made a booking on the website. Stupid idea didn't expect to hear back for 2 weeks but I was in downtown (above a HSBC branch) and decided to try my luck.

I popped in during lunch time on Friday and after a 10 minute wait, someone took me in and looked at my Drivers License and Credit Card (from TD as my 2nd ID). Only asked me to confirm my employer and industry and was out of there in 20 minutes. Was not upsold on anything, and generally a positive experience other than waiting.

Was instantly approved for 11k credit.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1770 posts
256 upvotes
Thornhill
srz5095 wrote: Recieved confirmation email from GCR on the cashback
I got insta approved on Friday Sept 11 thru the GCR link but still missing cashback. I just tried to submit a request in GCR and it says I have to wait 3 weeks. WTH!
Mar 30, 2018
499 posts
374 upvotes
Does your GCR show a tracking number for this transaction?
cruisn76 wrote: I got insta approved on Friday Sept 11 thru the GCR link but still missing cashback. I just tried to submit a request in GCR and it says I have to wait 3 weeks. WTH!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1770 posts
256 upvotes
Thornhill
srz5095 wrote: Does your GCR show a tracking number for this transaction?
Yea there is a tracking ID, all the other columns are blank
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1872 posts
458 upvotes
cruisn76 wrote: I got insta approved on Friday Sept 11 thru the GCR link but still missing cashback. I just tried to submit a request in GCR and it says I have to wait 3 weeks. WTH!
I was instantly approved on Sep 11, GCR credit posted the next day.

Thread Information

There are currently 17 users viewing this thread. (11 members and 6 guests)

EZSAVE, hoc022, skyrink, EmmEmm, arcty5, trigger0, chrisjames42, spena, LovinIt, blackart, zyho