[HSBC] Hot - HSBC WE MC - 100k plus FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 9:06 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5456 posts
4273 upvotes
aimaple wrote: Hi can you provide a bit more info on paying property tax using the Triangle WE MC (for the .5% reward)? I came across a Google doc with a list of payees that includes Calgary...Is there a daily limit when paying the tax? Hope I can still make it work for the Sept/30 deadline. Thanks.
Go here for info on the Canadian Tire Mastercards. viewtopic.php?f=189&t=1149989
(there's another thread specific for the CT Triangle MC, search for it)

Myself, I have the Cash Advantage card, as I prefer to collect cash back (annual payout).
Other options are the basic Triangle MC, which earns 0.5% in Triangle rewards (CT Money).
Or the World Elite Triangle MC, which earns 1% in Triangle rewards.
Sounds too good to be true, but it works.
Pay your Property Taxes, Tuition, Utilities using CTFS bill payee system with NO fees and at the same time earn cash back or points with your CT MC.

For this thread's needs, use your HSBC WE MC with Plastiq or Paysimply.ca to pay property taxes with a 2.5% fee. Personally, it's worth it to me to use those services to get rid of SOME of the $5K minimum spending requirement (MSR) of this card. Peace of mind. Less clutter.
Oct 5, 2011
19 posts
3 upvotes
CALGARY
bizee-bee wrote: Go here for info on the Canadian Tire Mastercards. viewtopic.php?f=189&t=1149989
(there's another thread specific for the CT Triangle MC, search for it)

Myself, I have the Cash Advantage card, as I prefer to collect cash back (annual payout).
Other options are the basic Triangle MC, which earns 0.5% in Triangle rewards (CT Money).
Or the World Elite Triangle MC, which earns 1% in Triangle rewards.
Sounds too good to be true, but it works.
Pay your Property Taxes, Tuition, Utilities using CTFS bill payee system with NO fees and at the same time earn cash back or points with your CT MC.

For this thread's needs, use your HSBC WE MC with Plastiq or Paysimply.ca to pay property taxes with a 2.5% fee. Personally, it's worth it to me to use those services to get rid of SOME of the $5K minimum spending requirement (MSR) of this card. Peace of mind. Less clutter.
Thanks @bizee-bee for the wrap - I was on that thread before but was totally lost in its hundreds of pages despite my best attempts to try to sort them through.

Will look at the 3 card options; its website is not clear on all options and benefits. CTFS Customer Service was rude and unhelpful too. So I thought I'd ask...1% for paying property tax is better than nothing.

Thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5456 posts
4273 upvotes
aimaple wrote: Thanks @bizee-bee for the wrap - I was on that thread before but was totally lost in its hundreds of pages despite my best attempts to try to sort them through.

Will look at the 3 card options; its website is not clear on all options and benefits. CTFS Customer Service was rude and unhelpful too. So I thought I'd ask...1% for paying property tax is better than nothing.

Thanks again.
It's not that complicated. You just have to decide which type of CT MC you want to open. My fingerprints are all over that thread. The OP has some numbers I crunched out to compare the (now no longer) Options MC, which earned 0.8% for bill payments and so is not accurate anymore as the basic Triangle earns 0.5%, and WE Triangle earns 1%. So if you're eligible to open the World Elite Triangle MC (I think the minimum income is $60K or $80K) and you do shop at Crappy Tire, or SportCheck or Marks WW, then it's probably the best card for most people to open. For me, I prefer cash back, but you have to put a higher spend on the card to make it justified to open.

Back on trake - I got my PIN in the mail today for the HSBC card. I think I applied on Sep 9th, with a regular PC browser and had instant approval, first-time HSBC client.
Jul 3, 2019
156 posts
210 upvotes
Received PIN today as well, and applied on September 8, with instant approval.
Jun 21, 2013
1 posts
New Westminster
I applied in August with the olde deal, new too HSBC. In order to get the card I had to go the branch and sit through an hour "Time Share Pitch" on all the great products HSBC had to offer. It was BS, they said I had to go in to simply show ID, then banker told me computer glitch with my application and he had to enter all info again. But he had it all there, just a delay tactic to keep me in the chair. Then a month after I got the card, got another call asking me to switch business to HSBC . Not sure it's worth the sale pitch hassles. Was looking for a new card after Capital One devalued the old one. Insurances are great, points suck for non travel, less than .5%. Because of COVID cant comment on travel points yet, although did some local travel the items that Capital One considered as travel, were not by HSBC. This included campground reservations and boat tour, there is an option to call in if you feel your item should be considered travel. But because I don't want to use the points, I didn't bother to see if they would cover the costs. After 6 weeks with the card, not sure I will renew given the night membership fee. But months to go and need COVID to end....but who doesn't. Missing my old Capital One already
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
1022 posts
4358 upvotes
Got the PIN yesterday so hopefully card follows today! Smiling Face With Heart-shaped EyesSmiling Face With Heart-shaped EyesSmiling Face With Heart-shaped Eyes
Jun 13, 2019
493 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
I also got the PIN yesterday, applied on opening day followed by branch visit on 10th. Didn't get instant approval in branch as well, however it was approved eventually. Last time when I called the helpline, they confirmed to expect the PIN first and then card after a week..
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12083 posts
3254 upvotes
Scarberia
trigger0 wrote: I also got the PIN yesterday, applied on opening day followed by branch visit on 10th. Didn't get instant approval in branch as well, however it was approved eventually. Last time when I called the helpline, they confirmed to expect the PIN first and then card after a week..
HSBC too old school.. Most other cc's allow u to create a custom pin upon cc activation online
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5251 posts
3258 upvotes
drunkgoat wrote: What’s your location? Where are these being mailed from?
from Nepean, I'm in GTA

Looking on the app on my phone, I can see AF charged yesterday and rebated yetserday.
Also just purchased winter tires from quattro tires ($610) showing in pending transactions now.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
7669 posts
2042 upvotes
multi city dweller
mech9t5 wrote: from Nepean, I'm in GTA

Looking on the app on my phone, I can see AF charged yesterday and rebated yetserday.
Also just purchased winter tires from quattro tires ($610) showing in pending transactions now.
a suburb in YOW?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

inhaledinsult