[HSBC] Hot - HSBC WE MC - 100k plus FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 12:43 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1894 posts
475 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: better question is HOW do u best get that 100$ credit back! via expedia hotel booking for a refundable stay in the far far future! ie, summer 2021 :D
Can you describe exactly how to go about doing this?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5458 posts
4277 upvotes
Neo wrote: Curious as to why people like this card so much?

If you can get the $100 travel credit refunded, it's 12% cash back return on $5K spend. If you transfer it to Asia miles, it's around 32K points, so you are buying AM for 1.5c each.
I assume most people who apply for this card has others without Fx and insurance coverage. It's not.a bad card, but 54 pages? am I missing anything?
mech9t5 wrote: Yes, you forget the $50 GCR and the points you earned on spending the $5k. The total cashback here is $500 sign up bonus, $100 Travel credit, $50 GCR, $75 points on spend (could be more if you spend on travel but I just assumed all non-travel). Total is $725.

That's 14.5% return on $5k. Not sure where you are going to get that kind of return on spend.

To put this in context of the current offers... there are a ton of people applying for the 10% sign up bonus cards and those are limited to only $2k . This is $5k and 14.5%.

Or to put it another way... it is 20k points = $100 on first spend + $50 GCR + $100 travel credit = $250 for $1 spend. If you don't want to spend the $5k and need the spend for other sign up bonuses, this is still $250 absolutely free (just a credit hit)
Neo, I'm one of those people, who have gone hog wild on the 10% cash back cards. I stayed away from them at the start, but when we realized that we had too many travel points in the vault, we went for the low hanging fruit of these 10% cards. We've ripped through ten of these cards in the past ten months. There came a point when we felt so saturated with all the FFPs, and with COVID it didn't make sense to keep adding to the pile.

If it weren't for COVID and the travel difficulties, I'd look at opening the TD First Class Travel card. The 60K SUB is worth $300 through Expedia4TD or $240 for Book-Any-Way travel outside that portal, which makes the $1500 MSR at least 20% and 16% (not including the points from spending on the MSR), respectively.

But there's also the TD Aeoplan Infinite Visa, with 25K signup points for $1500 MSR. Even at the lowest redemption rate of 1 cpp, those are worth $250, making it 16.7% return (again, not factoring in the points earned from spending on the MSR).

It's too late for me now, as my new card will probably land in my postal mailbox later today. But if I had thought it over for a day longer, I would've skipped signing up for this card....that's just me, in my shoes though.

mech95t, thanks for the enhanced data, and the viewpoint of not doing the MSR and just grabbing the easy $250 value.
Oct 9, 2012
130 posts
40 upvotes
SK
Is the $100 travel credit for baggage etc. only good for the participating airlines ie. British Airways Executive Club, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles or Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer? Or could this be used towards a WestJet flight?
Feb 23, 2019
67 posts
305 upvotes
fancypantsfloyd wrote: When applying using your phone, are you able to still take advantage of GCR via their affiliate link?
I applied via mobile and I was able to get the 50$ from GCR, after signing up using their link.
May 11, 2009
385 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver
Frick, I forgot to go through GCR. :( Guessing there's no way to fix that?

Also, for those that have been approved, how long did it take to receive the card?
May 16, 2012
106 posts
39 upvotes
Markham
If the points can't be used for travel before the first year free is up, is there a no fee way of keeping the points alive?
fyhchan
Feb 23, 2019
67 posts
305 upvotes
headhunt3r wrote: Frick, I forgot to go through GCR. :( Guessing there's no way to fix that?

Also, for those that have been approved, how long did it take to receive the card?
Not sure if anyone got the card yet
My application was approved on the 11th and I just received my PIN by mail today.

It says in the approval email that the card should follow shortly after!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5257 posts
3265 upvotes
headhunt3r wrote: Also, for those that have been approved, how long did it take to receive the card?
I applied on the 8th and got the card on 18th
Jun 13, 2019
496 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
headhunt3r wrote: Frick, I forgot to go through GCR. :( Guessing there's no way to fix that?

If you didn't get the instant approval and got "Go to branch", then you may try your luck by reapplying via GCR..
Jun 6, 2008
384 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
fancypantsfloyd wrote: When applying using your phone, are you able to still take advantage of GCR via their affiliate link?
I hope so. I went through GCR on my phone to apply
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12089 posts
3254 upvotes
Scarberia

around 10business days..i applied sept.9th, prolly should be getting the card this week, tues(today) or wed im thinking
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jan 4, 2017
105 posts
67 upvotes
toronto
I got the "go to branch" and went yesterday! Am i SOL for the GCR cashback?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5556 posts
1349 upvotes
Milton
the_boy_6ix_we wrote: I got the "go to branch" and went yesterday! Am i SOL for the GCR cashback?
most likely unless you have a spouse who can sign up.

In hindsight, OP should include the GCR cashback on his Thread Title so new people are aware.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1569 posts
1197 upvotes
Sharing my experience so far :

The good:

1. Applied online via GCR, got approved right away
2. Got GCR bonus in 3-4 days
3. Got PIN after 1 week and got SMS with banking registration code as well as email with banking registration number
4. Got Card after 10 days or so
5. Signed up online with no issues

The bad and/or the ugly

6. Noticed HSBC does not offer any alerting features at all (not even SMS or email based, nor App alerts) when swiping/tapping or paying online
7. Noticed updates are slow (transactions are not real time)
8. Noticed a credit limit decrease does not apply right away, not sure about increase , assuming the same
9, Noticed no reward points (20K) two days after making the first purchase - true , transaction still showing pending

Conclusion:

Option A: Wait until they post the 20K and pay up and close the card as the security of this card and bank is horrendous
Option B: Wait until they post the 100K and pay up and close the card as the security of this card and bank is horrendous - logon to banking every day to check transactions are accurate and legit.
Nov 4, 2007
955 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
This card can be churned correct? I cancelled this card earlier this year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)