[HSBC] Hot - HSBC WE MC - 100k plus FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 12:20 am
Tags:
Nov 18, 2008
471 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
FightingInternet wrote: If you book a hotel with Expedia and then redeem the points against the purchase. Do you still get points for that purchase?

Also, does the booking a refundable hotel on Expedia, redeeming points and TEC against it, and then refunding it still work?
Want to know this too. Also can the 80k bonus be used and refunded the same way? I don't collect travel points so not sure how best to convert these
Nov 1, 2016
85 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Applied Sep 9, called today saying the card was mailed on Sep 23. CS said prob take 3 to 14 days to arrive.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1912 posts
494 upvotes
Phaelen wrote: This happened go me once with Scotia. When I called they said it was sent to the nearest branch for id verification and they were supposed to have contacted me 2 weeks ago.
I asked the rep if card was mailed to branch, they said there's no such notes on file so it would have been sent to my address.
Jul 2, 2020
44 posts
14 upvotes
egdeen wrote: Applied Sep 9, called today saying the card was mailed on Sep 23. CS said prob take 3 to 14 days to arrive.
Same here. Sep 9 signed everything at a branch and still no card. Have everything else...pin, online access, first statement, etc.

Is it just me or should it not take 2.5 weeks to get a card? My last card came within days.
May 28, 2012
351 posts
282 upvotes
Canada
Has anyone got their 80,000 bonus points yet?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2185 posts
767 upvotes
Waterloo
dlhntr wrote: Has anyone got their 80,000 bonus points yet?
Sounds like most people haven’t even gotten the card yet.... soooooo lol
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5529 posts
4442 upvotes
dlhntr wrote: Has anyone got their 80,000 bonus points yet?
Would be good to know, as there seemed to be many people chomping at the bit to get the card so they could put some imminent big spending onto the card, and it's conceivable that some people who already did get theri card last Friday, may have already putshed the $5K MSR onto it.

That said, I've been reading comments from people who've previously opened this card with 90-day MSRs promos, that the MSR-bonus isn't awarded until after the 90 days, but they didn't specify if it was AT the 90 day mark beyond approval, or at the next statement AFTER the 90 day mark. And some people are suggesting that since this promo has a 180 day MSR period, we could be waiting 180 days (and at the first statement AFTERWARDS?).

I'm eager to find out too, as this will adjust my spending patterns.
May 28, 2012
351 posts
282 upvotes
Canada
bizee-bee wrote: Would be good to know, as there seemed to be many people chomping at the bit to get the card so they could put some imminent big spending onto the card, and it's conceivable that some people who already did get theri card last Friday, may have already putshed the $5K MSR onto it.

That said, I've been reading comments from people who've previously opened this card with 90-day MSRs promos, that the MSR-bonus isn't awarded until after the 90 days, but they didn't specify if it was AT the 90 day mark beyond approval, or at the next statement AFTER the 90 day mark. And some people are suggesting that since this promo has a 180 day MSR period, we could be waiting 180 days (and at the first statement AFTERWARDS?).

I'm eager to find out too, as this will adjust my spending patterns.
I got the card last Friday and put the $5000 on it the next day. I got the initial 20,000 points but no 80,000 points yet.
Jan 4, 2007
235 posts
107 upvotes
Noviverde wrote: Same here. Sep 9 signed everything at a branch and still no card. Have everything else...pin, online access, first statement, etc.

Is it just me or should it not take 2.5 weeks to get a card? My last card came within days.
Exact same for me except I didn't do the online access.
I called yesterday and he said the card shipped on the 10th. Long story short, he cancelled the card and issued a new one which is suppose to priority ship with arrival on Tuesday.
Jan 4, 2007
235 posts
107 upvotes
Has anyone done the math on the hotel trick vs BA points? Is there a better option than those two to redeem?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5529 posts
4442 upvotes
dlhntr wrote: I got the card last Friday and put the $5000 on it the next day. I got the initial 20,000 points but no 80,000 points yet.
So, not right away for the $5K MSR-bonus, but now it could be:
  • At the first statement (TD FCT, TD Aeroplan, RBC Avion, BMO Cash Back, etc)
  • AFTER the 90-days from approval date
  • At the first statement AFTER the 90-days from approval date (MBNA Best Western)
  • At the first statement AFTER the 180-days from approval date
  • Or, at some future random date (as per some TD FCT promos)

As this falls into the category of FI-based proprietary rewards points, and not affiliated with a 3rd party FFP, it means that HSBC has the option to award the points right away after meeting the MSR, if they wanted to, which Amex does with their Membership Rewards.

Or, they could award them at the first statement after reaching the MSR, which RBC Avion/Rewards and TD FCT/Rewards choose to do. Which is falling back on the same awardning method when it involves a 3rd party FFP (Aeroplan, Air Miles, Bonvoy, Best Western).

But to make us wait 90 days or 180 days afterwards, is plain torture. But, it's not new as I've seen TD do this with some of their Aeroplan promos, forcing people to wait up to 1 year (and thus annual fee renewal), but that was just one specific promotion in the past.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5529 posts
4442 upvotes
egdeen wrote: Applied Sep 9, called today saying the card was mailed on Sep 23. CS said prob take 3 to 14 days to arrive.
Curious why it took nearly 2 weeks after application. Was it because you weren't instantly approved? Do you know WHEN you were approved, cuz that makes a big difference in your datapoint.
Noviverde wrote: Same here. Sep 9 signed everything at a branch and still no card. Have everything else...pin, online access, first statement, etc.

Signing up in branch, does that mean you were approved at that point too, or did they tell you that it was simply submitted, and still under review? For you, it's been 2 weeks and more than 7-10 business days, but ever since the pandemic, we've seen longer than usual postal delivery times. Which card was it, that only took a few days, and how long ago was this (pre-COVID)? I'm aware that Amex will usually FedEx some specific cards, and several times I've applied on a Friday morning and received the card on the Monday, but you can't expect that from any of the other banks who normally use Canada Post.
Username77 wrote: Exact same for me except I didn't do the online access.
I called yesterday and he said the card shipped on the 10th. Long story short, he cancelled the card and issued a new one which is suppose to priority ship with arrival on Tuesday.
I was instantly approved on the 8th, a day before you (assuming you were approved on the 9th). It usually takes 2 days to prepare and deliver new cards, so I will guess that mine was also shipped out on the 10th. I'm sure there was a BIG uptick in new card applications around this time, so for some people it could take 3 or 4 days, factoring in weekends, before they stamp the new plastic.

Anyways, I just got my card this past Wed, Sep 23, just over 2 weeks from my IA on the 8th. It's not out of reach to expect to see a card take an extra day or two or three to reach some neighbourhoods.

BTW, I've panicked in the past when I was anxious to get a new card for an upcoming payment, and I convinced the bank to cancel the card and re-issue it with FedEx. My original card came a day earlier than the FedEx package, but I couldn't use it since it was now cancelled. Doh! :facepalm:

Ever since COVID took a grip on the world, and put us all under it's control, there are now many new-normals in our lives. Longer delivery times is just one of them, unfortunately.
Feb 9, 2009
15 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
I applied on Sep 12.
Got the Online registration sms on Sep 16
Got the PIN last week on Sep 18.
The card arrived on Sep 25th.

It took ~ 2 weeks to get the card in the mail.
Sep 22, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
I applied online on Sep-11, was instantly approved (wasn’t asked for SIN) - just a few equifax questions based on identity. No previous relationship with HSBC.

Received the pin on Sep 18 and the card on Sep 25. Called the number a few pages back and got the card activated. No upselling involved at all. Used the card immediately after with absolutely no issues.

Looks like how things go is totally YMMV

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)