Hot Deals

[HSBC] Hot - HSBC WE MC - 100k plus FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2020 6:20 pm
Tags:
Jan 19, 2018
813 posts
566 upvotes
How does the annual $100 TEC work? Is it every 12 months based on your account open date or is it by calendar year? If I get this card now, do I only have a couple of months to use it before it expires?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4683 posts
1676 upvotes
Winnipeg
bobohobo2kx wrote: How does the annual $100 TEC work? Is it every 12 months based on your account open date or is it by calendar year? If I get this card now, do I only have a couple of months to use it before it expires?
Its: every 12 months based on your account open date
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1586 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ktlove18 wrote: How to redeem 100$ TEC?
It is automatically applied to a travel purchase or do we have to call in to apply the credit?

Same question for the 100k points redemption. Can it be done through app or online by self ( like capital one travel points) or do we have to call in?
Apr 26, 2017
20 posts
12 upvotes
rbell76 wrote: Just finished spending my $5K, waiting for points.

From my understanding, we'll see the $500 travel credit at the end of the 6 month requirement and we can do the hotel trick at the time, right?

Am I correct to understand as well that people are using the $100 TEC towards a room stay now because the credit is instantly available? and then obviously cancelling?

Just wanna make sure I'm on the right train
Yup
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1480 posts
980 upvotes
Markham
User258441 wrote: Yup
Just to confirm, a room stay from Expedia works for the $100 TEC, all I do is book a refundable Expedia room and then claim the TEC ?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1933 posts
746 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: Just to confirm, a room stay from Expedia works for the $100 TEC, all I do is book a refundable Expedia room and then claim the TEC ?
Wait... TEC works on hotel stays? In T&C, it says that it can only be used toward some airline/airport fees:

“[TEC] can be redeemed toward eligible airline baggage fee, airline seat upgrade or airport lounge pass purchases made on the Account”
Sep 25, 2004
903 posts
393 upvotes
We had a sub-$100 charge from Aeroplan and were able to apply the TEC to the charge. It stayed available to apply the remainder of the TEC. It is also available to apply the travel points even after clearing it with the TEC.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2005
1333 posts
747 upvotes
dotsandpixels wrote:
It is automatically applied to a travel purchase or do we have to call in to apply the credit?

Same question for the 100k points redemption. Can it be done through app or online by self ( like capital one travel points) or do we have to call in?
You can apply the TEC using the website link to the rewards site. Under “redeem” you can select either the TEC or the regular travel points.
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Just to confirm, a room stay from Expedia works for the $100 TEC, all I do is book a refundable Expedia room and then claim the TEC ?
Yes exactly. It’s a “glitch” that they may fix in the future, but it works perfectly right now.
mbmbkop wrote: Wait... TEC works on hotel stays? In T&C, it says that it can only be used toward some airline/airport fees:

“[TEC] can be redeemed toward eligible airline baggage fee, airline seat upgrade or airport lounge pass purchases made on the Account”
That’s what it may say, but Expedia bookings are classified as “general travel” in their coding and the TEC system accepts this as a redemption option.
Nov 30, 2017
139 posts
84 upvotes
kenze wrote: This card is way inferior to the Scotia Passport Visa with the ultimate chequeing account. A 5K deposit (which is basically just my emergency funds) gives me so many benefits like no annual fees for both accounts, a free safety deposit box, 6 lounge passes each year etc.

This card is only good for those who travel non-stop and spend substantial amounts when traveling.
I have the Scotia passport too. But I mainly use it when I’m traveling for the no fx fees and the lounge passes.

This card could be a good companion to the Scotia passport. It is a travel card so it makes sense only for people who travel. I would use it to book hotels and flights. And I don’t think one has to spend a substantial amount to make the card worth it. The 3% compare to a 1.5% no fee card means you would be on a net gain if you spend more than $3333 a year on travel. A family of four could easily exceed this on hotels and flights in one trip. And you are covered by the travel insurances for free which is at par with other travel cards. If one shop at Costco which only takes mastercard, the 1.5% rebate would be pretty good too.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3740 posts
529 upvotes
just tried to sign up but after you click "apply" it takes you to a blank screen. Anyone else have this issue?

Tried both chrome and edge browsers.

Edit: works now. Applied for both me and my wife and they ask us to go in person just to completed the application....
Last edited by Mint on Oct 24th, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 20, 2020
39 posts
34 upvotes
Arkaine wrote: You can apply the TEC using the website link to the rewards site. Under “redeem” you can select either the TEC or the regular travel points.

Yes exactly. It’s a “glitch” that they may fix in the future, but it works perfectly right now.

That’s what it may say, but Expedia bookings are classified as “general travel” in their coding and the TEC system accepts this as a redemption option.
I'm just looking into a hotel stay now, when it says $0 due now, how do you get around that? Don't you want to pay now to apply the credit right away?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2005
1333 posts
747 upvotes
rbell76 wrote: I'm just looking into a hotel stay now, when it says $0 due now, how do you get around that? Don't you want to pay now to apply the credit right away?
Book the Swiss Hotel in Ottawa off Expedia, fully refundable and you get the option to pay now (which you want to do) or pay later (which you don’t want to do).
There are a ton of hotels that offer this, mine was the first example I remembered.
Images
  • 9DEC11E4-E383-4867-A4A5-58D2C05E64CF.jpeg
Aug 20, 2020
39 posts
34 upvotes
Arkaine wrote: Book the Swiss Hotel in Ottawa off Expedia, fully refundable and you get the option to pay now (which you want to do) or pay later (which you don’t want to do).
There are a ton of hotels that offer this, mine was the first example I remembered.
Ah okay so its based on hotels, thanks for the info
Aug 27, 2014
22 posts
11 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I want to confirm that I successfully have applied my $100 TEC to my refundable hotel booking via Expedia. As soon as my Expedia transaction appears on the HSBC account, I can apply the $100 TEC to that transaction. To be honest, I have no intention to cancel the hotel booking, I plan to travel.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)