94 upvotes
CALGARY

[HSBC] Hsbc mortgage 1.76% 5 year fixed

Deal Link:
Price:
1.76% fixe
More offers from HSBC
Anyone use these guys? Lowest rate I've seen so far

Special offer rate of 1.76% APR on a 5-year fixed closed term high ratio mortgage
17 replies
May 20, 2006
202 posts
72 upvotes
If you visit the mortgage rate thread in the personal finance forum you will see rates as low as 1.59% on 5-year fixed. I think the rate quoted here is pretty standard (especially for an insured mortgage).
Nov 21, 2016
96 posts
79 upvotes
abbotsford
copter wrote: If you visit the mortgage rate thread in the personal finance forum you will see rates as low as 1.59% on 5-year fixed. I think the rate quoted here is pretty standard (especially for an insured mortgage).
Please do tell where the 1.59 deal is posted... I can’t find it.
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
56 posts
94 upvotes
CALGARY
Tell me more about this 1.59? Is this uninsured with a major bank?
Mar 6, 2013
50 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
TazZaide wrote: 1.64% five year fixed is available for you for a full featured mortgages in this case. Comes with 20/20 prepayment options. In the case of a fair penalty lender, the way they determine their early termination penalty to break the mortgage within your term is different to most big banks, who use the posted rate to determine what you need to pay in penalty to break the mortgage. This results in a significantly higher penalty with some of these big banks in comparison to a monoline lender/credit union who is considered fair penalty. The difference can be several thousands depending on your mortgage size.
Read the broker replies In the mortgage thread - this is the best rate I’ve seen ...or check a site like ratespy
May 20, 2006
202 posts
72 upvotes
FartyMcGee wrote: There are 4300 pages to that thread. Why is it so hard to link the exact quote requested? This site infuriates me sometimes.
Page 4294 has a mention of 1.59%. Numerous other recent posts show 1.64-1.69% as standard rates. If you would like me to apply for the mortgage for you as well I’m sure I could, but I would suggest doing a bit of research (obviously you don’t need to go through the first 4250 pages of the thread as that’s old info). But spend at least 5-10 mins (and maybe even message one of the several mortgage brokers there) if you are serious about securing the lowest rate. I know everyone wants everything handed to them on a silver platter, but saving money takes some effort on your part too.
Jul 21, 2017
95 posts
22 upvotes
copter wrote: Page 4294 has a mention of 1.59%. Numerous other recent posts show 1.64-1.69% as standard rates. If you would like me to apply for the mortgage for you as well I’m sure I could, but I would suggest doing a bit of research (obviously you don’t need to go through the first 4250 pages of the thread as that’s old info). But spend at least 5-10 mins (and maybe even message one of the several mortgage brokers there) if you are serious about securing the lowest rate. I know everyone wants everything handed to them on a silver platter, but saving money takes some effort on your part too.
1.59% fixed rate is for insured mortgage . Best rates I have seen so far for uninsured are :
  • Variable = 1.55% with CIBC (one case only) , but mostly 1.60%
  • Fixed = 1.64% , but mostly 1.69 %
May 20, 2006
202 posts
72 upvotes
aaleemm wrote: 1.59% fixed rate is for insured mortgage . Best rates I have seen so far for uninsured are :
  • Variable = 1.55% with CIBC (one case only) , but mostly 1.60%
  • Fixed = 1.64% , but mostly 1.69 %

This thread is advertising an insured mortgage. I don’t know what the 1.59% rate was for as I wasn’t eligible for it. I am eligible for the 1.64% rate for my conventional mortgage though.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3851 posts
1205 upvotes
Ontario
can't find the terms of the mortgage anywhere. is the mortgage portable at this rate? i just switched to BMO but willing to switch again to save $4k....
May 16, 2017
68 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Did anyone got a mortgage from TD recently, and what was the rate,
Please share
Mar 25, 2006
234 posts
121 upvotes
The mortgage thread here on RFD seems pretty useless, just numbers being thrown around. Just to provide some specifics, I had 1.69% 5-yr fixed uninsured quoted by https://www.truenorthmortgage.ca. They are offering mortgage products from https://www.thinkfinancial.ca. THINK Financial describe themselves as "one of Canada's newest CMHC-approved lenders and is licensed under True North Mortgage".
Jul 21, 2017
95 posts
22 upvotes
copter wrote: This thread is advertising an insured mortgage. I don’t know what the 1.59% rate was for as I wasn’t eligible for it. I am eligible for the 1.64% rate for my conventional mortgage though.
Which lender ?
Amortization period ?
Insured or uninsured ?
New or renewal/refinance ?