Hot Deals

[HSBC] HSBC- Receive up to $700 when you start banking with us.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2019 7:48 pm
Jul 17, 2017
63 posts
23 upvotes
BC
It seems like even online only applications may be able to qualify for referral bonus as well.

I called my rep and they said that the referer can submit the referral card, and once that is processed, the new customer can create an account online. Then the backend team in reviewing the application will check for referrals and apply them. You just have to make sure all the details are right on the referral card.

I'm not 100% if my rep is correct but this is what I was told. The key it seems is getting the referral into their system before the new application is made, and getting the backend team to check, which may involve some calling in after the fact.
Dec 13, 2016
136 posts
35 upvotes
setlist wrote:
Aug 31st, 2019 2:11 pm
One (good) oddity I experienced the other day: I rarely do atm withdrawals but had to get some cash to pay a cash only barber. $1.50 ATM charge but HSBC rebated me $2. I made money on the withdrawal! (Limit 5 per month before someone gets too creative an idea!)
just looked this up
premier account gets unlimited rebate Face With Tears Of Joy could work for themFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Jan 21, 2018
847 posts
724 upvotes
Vancouver
cmchiu wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 4:43 pm
Hmm that PDF says:
Promotion (the Promotion) is only available to customers that HSBC Bank Canada (HSBC) has sent an email confirming their eligibility and is not transferrable.

So if I haven't received the email I won't get it? Disappointed But Relieved Face May I ask when you received the email? Thanks!

I was on the April-to-Sept 3rd promo but did not benefit much because I wasn't able to put in much new money.
Thanks to @dzgzpy for providing the email with the new bonus offer, but no luck here either.

I asked HSBC about it on behalf of my mother - she was told in branch that there would be a new offer starting Sept. 4, but she didn't get an email. She's a Premier customer of more than 25 years who put in a substantial amount of cash she had on hand as a new deposit to take advantage of the earlier 3% offer. I asked her HSBC account rep about the new offer and provided the copy from dzgzpy. The rep simply said my mother's account didn't get the new offer. No reason given. So she'll be moving that money ASAP. Like all the banks these days, they tend to treat their existing customers like crap.
Dec 13, 2016
136 posts
35 upvotes
StickmansamV wrote:
Sep 1st, 2019 1:11 pm
It seems like even online only applications may be able to qualify for referral bonus as well.

I called my rep and they said that the referer can submit the referral card, and once that is processed, the new customer can create an account online. Then the backend team in reviewing the application will check for referrals and apply them. You just have to make sure all the details are right on the referral card.

I'm not 100% if my rep is correct but this is what I was told. The key it seems is getting the referral into their system before the new application is made, and getting the backend team to check, which may involve some calling in after the fact.
I am not sure about online application as my RM said they need to go in branch
but he just told me that anyone who want to open an account can just go into the branch with the referrer's email address and give it to the staff
then the staff can do everything in the backend
Aug 16, 2014
214 posts
208 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
What are people doing with their $5000 deposit in order to get the $300 bonus? lock it in a GIC for 12 months to get the most out of it? or any better options available?
Dec 13, 2016
136 posts
35 upvotes
JordanTO wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 7:36 pm
What are people doing with their $5000 deposit in order to get the $300 bonus? lock it in a GIC for 12 months to get the most out of it? or any better options available?
thats the thing with HSBC
you don't have to just sit the money in a chequing account like other bank accounts
they count the total balance in all the HSBC account and waive the account fee
so you can have 5000 in GIC and still get the chequing account fee waived
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
4585 posts
3015 upvotes
Calgary
JordanTO wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 7:36 pm
Yup. GIC It and ride it out.
Mar 23, 2019
70 posts
46 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 6:02 pm
Thanks to @dzgzpy for providing the email with the new bonus offer, but no luck here either.

I asked HSBC about it on behalf of my mother - she was told in branch that there would be a new offer starting Sept. 4, but she didn't get an email. She's a Premier customer of more than 25 years who put in a substantial amount of cash she had on hand as a new deposit to take advantage of the earlier 3% offer. I asked her HSBC account rep about the new offer and provided the copy from dzgzpy. The rep simply said my mother's account didn't get the new offer. No reason given. So she'll be moving that money ASAP. Like all the banks these days, they tend to treat their existing customers like crap.
No problem. Nowadays probably banks use big data to analyze your banking habits and all started bonus interest lottery like tangerine. :(
Dec 25, 2017
970 posts
698 upvotes
How’s HSBC as a bank in general? I keep hearing “bad bad bad” for using it as a daily bank. I also noticed there’s no VISA Debit or Debit MasterCard on their cards either, just plain Interac and that’s it.
Jul 17, 2017
63 posts
23 upvotes
BC
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Sep 4th, 2019 12:05 am
How’s HSBC as a bank in general? I keep hearing “bad bad bad” for using it as a daily bank. I also noticed there’s no VISA Debit or Debit MasterCard on their cards either, just plain Interac and that’s it.
HSBC is alright so long as you don't need their in-branch services too much. They do tend to have fewer branches and shorter hours. So think of it as an online bank that also has branches in the major centres if that helps.
However, their Advance which is just $5000 relationship balance (keep in GIC or savings) is pretty good for waiving a lot of fees for cheques and etransfers. So you aren't losing out as much compared to other banks that require chequing balances.

I use it as my main since it's easy to disburse amounts to other accounts via the free cheques and etransfers.

I also think they tend to take security more seriously than other banks as they moved away from WinXP to Win7, while my other banks were still on XP at the time. They also have 2FA with their security devices or the mobile app, whichever you prefer.

The debit card does lack VISA Debit or Mastercard Debit, but that only really matters for online use. I do most of my online purchases with CC for the points/cashback and extended warranty/insurance.
Aug 31, 2014
38 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fkungery wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 10:59 pm
I have the Premier Account. Yes, u have to put 25k into the Premier chequing or savings account unil HSBC gives u the welcome bonus in 1 to 3 months. Then, you can take the 25k out, or transfer the 25k to HSBC Invest Direct to buy stocks or other securities for better returns.

Note that, the hsbc terms and conditions indicate that you have to keep the chequing account "active" for 12 months to avoid a charge back of the welcome bonus, and my hsbc relation manager told me that being active means at least one debit in the account.
Does "debit" mean debit purchase or withdrawal from an ATM, or can it include moving money from the chequing account to a savings account and back? Or maybe pulling some money out to another financial institution?
Dec 13, 2016
136 posts
35 upvotes
Iverson21 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2019 3:35 am
Does "debit" mean debit purchase or withdrawal from an ATM, or can it include moving money from the chequing account to a savings account and back? Or maybe pulling some money out to another financial institution?
Just purchase and atm
If you move the money from saving to chequing first
Then
Then do the transaction
It is be free (as long as the outgoing transaction is from chequing)
Dec 13, 2016
136 posts
35 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Sep 4th, 2019 12:05 am
It is more about the lack of branches in Canada that upset people
If you are ok with doing things online or phone
It is quite good
Although the e cheque deposit in their app is not that good
You will need to take more pic then the other banks before they accept it I would say
But the good thing from hsbc is e transfer, the lookout is higher than all the other banks
Jul 17, 2017
63 posts
23 upvotes
BC
So I found out that there are 2 forms required for the referral.
One is the one we all see online.
The other is the one the new customer fills in at the branch when they open the account.
I managed to get a ahold of this other form as well.
So an online referral is likely possible if you have this 2nd form, fill it in with the new customer details, and send it off to either the referrers branch, or the new customer's branch.
Dec 13, 2016
136 posts
35 upvotes
StickmansamV wrote:
Sep 4th, 2019 11:09 pm
So I found out that there are 2 forms required for the referral.
One is the one we all see online.
The other is the one the new customer fills in at the branch when they open the account.
I managed to get a ahold of this other form as well.
So an online referral is likely possible if you have this 2nd form, fill it in with the new customer details, and send it off to either the referrers branch, or the new customer's branch.
this still depend on which branch the new customer is assigned to, because the staff in HSBC can't just verify customer with the emailed form just because they sent it in (unless you are premier which have a RM)
thats why going to the branch (at least once) is necessary and creating the account online is tricky because you don't get the branch assignment

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)