1327 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto

[HSBC] HSBC Uninsured Mortgage Rate 2.59% 5yrs Fixed plus Cashback/Rewards

Deal Link:
Retailer:
HSBC
More offers from HSBC
Thought this warranted it's own new thread as the old HSBC threads are still titled 2.79% and 2.74% and the different rates and cashback options are not clearly set out.

Today, HSBC dropped their uninsured non high ratio 5yr fixed rate to 2.59%. If your new purchase is for a property with a purchase price of greater than $1 Million, this is the applicable rate for you. For comparisons, you can check ratehub or the RFD mortgage broker megathread at RFD Mortgage Rates Megathread.

Their high ratio 5yr fixed rate also dropped to 2.49%. You can probably find a better high ratio rate through the mortgage brokers in the aforementioned megathread.

Before people go on about HSBC's poor service, I'll just quote what I mentioned in the other thread:
I think the HSBC customer service experience is very dependent on which Relationship Manager (RM) you get. For example, my experience with the staff at [a downtown] location was abysmal. However, my RM (at a different branch) has been quite helpful and has gone out of her way to accommodate me and was able to get me a larger loan amount than any of the big 5 banks.

If you are thinking of getting a mortgage with HSBC in Toronto, feel free to PM me for my RM's contact info.
The cashback and other incentives depend on the size of your mortgage, whether you're opening a new chequing account with them, whether you'll change your payroll to HSBC and whether you'll sign up for a HSBC credit card.

The mortgage cashback info (either $2k or $1k) can be found here: https://www.hsbc.ca/mortgages/mortgage-offers/

The mortgage cashback fine print states:
When you purchase a new property and are taking a new personal mortgage loan (“Mortgage”) with HSBC Bank Canada (“HSBC”) or move your existing Mortgage from another financial institution to HSBC, in the amount of CA$200,000 or more with a five year fixed or variable closed term or greater and make mortgage payments from your HSBC chequing or savings account, you may receive a cash bonus of $1,000 for mortgages between $200,000 up to $499,999.99, and $2,000 for mortgages greater than or equal to $500,000 (the “Cash Back”) (the “HSBC Mortgage Cash Back Offer”).
Also helpful to note that HSBC allows you to choose whether you want a conventional standard charge [HSBC Traditional (Residential) Mortgage] or a collateral charge [HSBC Equity Power Mortgage]. Some lenders nowadays only register collateral charges (i.e. TD Bank). You can find the differences between conventional standard charges vs collateral charges through a quick google search or by talking to your bank rep or mortgage broker.

The chequing account, payroll and credit card incentives (up to $700 in rewards) can be found here: https://www.hsbc.ca/chequing-accounts/o ... QTT0000830

You can also earn up to $1,000 in referral bonuses, although the average borrower will probably get $350 or $100 through the HSBC Premier or HSBC Advance chequing accounts, respectively. Details found here: https://www.hsbc.ca/share-the-experience

So with a little bit of work and a good RM, you can have a competitive mortgage product offering some of the best rates and very high cashback/reward amounts.

So, hypothetically, if you sign up for a $500k mortgage from HSBC, with a new HSBC Premier Chequing Account, switch your payroll to said chequing account, sign up for a HSBC Premier Credit Card, get the referral bonus and satisfy the conditions in the fine print, you could get the following cashback/rewards:

1) $2,000 cashback for the $500k mortgage
2) $500 for opening the new Premier Chequing Account
3) $100 for switching payroll
4) $100 in bonus points for the credit card
5) $350 referral bonus as a HSBC Premier referral

That totals for $3,050 in cashback + rewards. As always, the conditions for each of these incentives must be satisfied to get them--so read the fine print.

Personally, I think it's a very competitive product for uninsured non-high ratio mortgages, and you can mitigate the chances of poor service by getting a good RM.
Last edited by mizermalice on Aug 14th, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
53 replies
Feb 22, 2012
109 posts
8 upvotes
SURREY
Looks good, I'm finalizing a purchase for about $680k--does this mean I don't qualify for this rate? There was a mention of a $1M purchase price
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1327 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
savingforever wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:24 pm
Looks good, I'm finalizing a purchase for about $680k--does this mean I don't qualify for this rate? There was a mention of a $1M purchase price
Depending on the how much you're borrowing and whether it's an insured mortgage you might be eligible for the high ratio rates which tend to be lower. Would be a good idea to connect with one of the mortgage brokers in the megathread and compare.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2084 posts
1052 upvotes
mizermalice wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:27 pm
Depending on the how much you're borrowing and whether it's an insured mortgage you might be eligible for the high ratio rates which tend to be lower. Would be a good idea to connect with one of the mortgage brokers in the megathread and compare.
I don't think HSBC Canada uses mortgage broker. Probably need to visit the HSBC branch instead.
Feb 22, 2012
109 posts
8 upvotes
SURREY
I'm putting about a 40% down and so it's not a high ratio mortgage but maybe I could get the 2.59% rate through this. Looks like they have a good pre-payment plan. This is for a conventional mortgage and not a collateral one right?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1327 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
raccoon wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:32 pm
I don't think HSBC Canada uses mortgage broker. Probably need to visit the HSBC branch instead.
HSBC products are not offered through the typical mortgage broker channels. What I meant was to connect with the brokers in the megathread to compare the HSBC rate with all the other banks and monoline lenders (e.g. MCAP, Alterna, etc.).

If you qualify for the high ratio rates, there are monoline lenders who can go lower than 2.49% 5yrs fixed.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2542 posts
1071 upvotes
Mississauga
Sadly, I need to refinance and switch lenders. Anyone know what HSBC refinance rates are looking like?

$650k mortgage in Mississauga
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1327 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
WilliamS17867 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:46 pm
This thread is already outdated HSBC are offering 2.49 now
2.49% 5yr fixed is for their high ratio rate, which is not the same as the uninsured non high ratio rate... If you are eligible for the high ratio rate, you may be able to find a better rate through a monoline lender using a mortgage broker.

This thread is focused on the uninsured non high ratio rate.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1169 posts
630 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
WilliamS17867 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:46 pm
This thread is already outdated HSBC are offering 2.49 now
I don't see that anywhere. All I see is 2.49% for high ratio mortgages.
Apr 20, 2009
177 posts
67 upvotes
I just got offered 2.64% for uninsured non high ratio from CIBC, but they said they can do better, so now I'm waiting to see how low they can go.
Mar 23, 2019
44 posts
30 upvotes
I just started using HSBC, so far the experience is pretty good.

Too bad my mortgage amount is lower than 200k, cannot take advantage of their mortgage offer.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1096 posts
391 upvotes
Does anyone know approximately what my household income should be if I want to get a $500k mortgage without feeling I'm about to go bankrupt each month?

For 2 adults with 2 young kids living in Vancouver. Also with 2 cars to get to work.

In the past people said 1/3rd of your income should go to housing but I don't think that is possible in Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1352 posts
290 upvotes
1/3 of your gross income ... otherwise you will feel a bit tight with the kids/cars etc...
May 1, 2011
109 posts
22 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Already got 2.69%. Any chance the rate might be lowered? House is closing in two days...thanks!