HSBC Premier+Jade Thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
May 11, 2018
23 posts
9 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: Was looking at Jade, so if you qualify for Jade in one country, doesnt look like it will qualify you for another country's Jade unlike Premier. Can someone confirm?

Also, is there a Jade debit card, or still the same old Premier one? I know Jade HK has the World Debit: https://www.hsbc.com.hk/jade/twelve-cur ... ebit-card/
1. Correct for the most part. I read they have such an arrangement, but only between HK, Singapore, and mainland China.
2. Yes, they sent me a new debit card. I think the lion is green if I remember correctly.
Mar 23, 2004
40562 posts
6652 upvotes
Markham
pedanticus wrote: 1. Correct for the most part. I read they have such an arrangement, but only between HK, Singapore, and mainland China.
2. Yes, they sent me a new debit card. I think the lion is green if I remember correctly.
Thanks!

(1) I see, damn that sucks. Imagine having 5-6 Jade metal MCs :lol:

(2) Thats the one right:
50040915contentPhoto1.jpg

Is the card metal like the credit card?
Dec 27, 2017
201 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
angel_wing0 wrote: Thanks!

(2) Thats the one right:

The cross-country agreement pedanticus mentioned is called Jade Passport. Canada isn't part of it. But that said, I'm not sure what additional benefits you are hoping to get by having Jade in multiple countries? The Jade relationship manager can take care of getting any products in any countries HSBC operates in, and can set them all up without issue as far as I've seen, as long as there is a need for it.

On the green debit card, I didn't get one of those. They did give a different debit card, but no green lion, and it is plastic. Perhaps that is newer or not for Canada? The Jade Mastercard I have has a very similar design though, but the lion isn't green, but it is metal.
Mar 23, 2004
40562 posts
6652 upvotes
Markham
Optimizer88 wrote: The cross-country agreement pedanticus mentioned is called Jade Passport. Canada isn't part of it. But that said, I'm not sure what additional benefits you are hoping to get by having Jade in multiple countries? The Jade relationship manager can take care of getting any products in any countries HSBC operates in, and can set them all up without issue as far as I've seen, as long as there is a need for it.

On the green debit card, I didn't get one of those. They did give a different debit card, but no green lion, and it is plastic. Perhaps that is newer or not for Canada? The Jade Mastercard I have has a very similar design though, but the lion isn't green, but it is metal.
Major thing is i would like to get the local credit cards so I dont have to always use the Canada one. From the Jade FAQ page, looks like Jade Passport may eventually make it to other countries: https://www.hsbc.com.sg/content/dam/hsb ... stions.pdf

From what I have seen, looks like it's only in Hong Kong *for now*. So I was surprised hat @pedanticus got a green debit card...but i guess he "misremembered"?
May 11, 2018
23 posts
9 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: Thanks!

(2) Thats the one right:

Yes, that's the one. It's plastic.
May 12, 2006
17 posts
14 upvotes
The HSBC Canada Jade debit card I have isn't quite the same as the picture - it doesn't have the Mastercard logo or "world debit". It simply says "Debit" and is plastic. When setting up my accounts, I was issued with 4 different debit cards in succession within a few months that went from the red to purple to green lion. I don't think it makes any difference, but I have never used the debit card at merchants outside of Canada, not when they have the credit card.

As I understand it, only HSBC Canada has the Jade MC for now - other countries provide a local Premier MC with its own benefits, terms and conditions. Maybe Canada is being used as a test bed?
Mar 23, 2004
40562 posts
6652 upvotes
Markham
wheelerdealer wrote: The HSBC Canada Jade debit card I have isn't quite the same as the picture - it doesn't have the Mastercard logo or "world debit". It simply says "Debit" and is plastic. When setting up my accounts, I was issued with 4 different debit cards in succession within a few months that went from the red to purple to green lion. I don't think it makes any difference, but I have never used the debit card at merchants outside of Canada, not when they have the credit card.

As I understand it, only HSBC Canada has the Jade MC for now - other countries provide a local Premier MC with its own benefits, terms and conditions. Maybe Canada is being used as a test bed?
I guess they are just trying to get the "right" colour for the lion :lol: Green makes sense, as Jade is green.

The green card that was shown was for Hong Kong only afaik, so they are more like the test bed imo.
Jul 18, 2006
40 posts
22 upvotes
wheelerdealer wrote: The HSBC Canada Jade debit card I have isn't quite the same as the picture
Same. It’s not a MasterCard debit only a standard debit with different branding (no lion just all black). No special perks as the seemed to have put them all in the Credit Card.
May 11, 2018
23 posts
9 upvotes
I cannot fathom why anyone cares what it looks like, but for what it’s worth, this is my Canadian debit card.
813493E1-8D87-4E1B-A96E-FB2D81837C69.jpeg
Jul 23, 2008
81 posts
13 upvotes
Is anyone elses RM absolutely useless? I want to add an LOC, but "didn't qualify" because they were debt servicing my HELOC on my home as if it was a $200k unsecured line of credit. Was supposed to call me back when resolved and two emails and a month later no response.
Mar 23, 2004
40562 posts
6652 upvotes
Markham
ant1029 wrote: Is anyone elses RM absolutely useless? I want to add an LOC, but "didn't qualify" because they were debt servicing my HELOC on my home as if it was a $200k unsecured line of credit. Was supposed to call me back when resolved and two emails and a month later no response.
Yes, we were just discussing that. You really have to follow up tightly if you want something done. The issue is likely every RM has an insane number of clients under them, hence (1) s/he likely will response to a client that has more net worth than you or to someone who constantly pushes, and (2) they run out of time as they meet a lot of them in person everyday.

If you really want some "DECENT" service, you will have to be Jade status, or annoy your rm with emails/calls very often, like every few hours to follow up.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1242 posts
722 upvotes
Ottawa
How thirsty is HSBC for mortgage business from its Premier clients these days?

Last time rates were low, in 2017+-, with a bit of prodding of one's Relationship Manager, HSBC would rate-match the best the market was offering since it was keen to grow its loan book.

It seems rates are on their way down again (e.g. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investi ... spreading/ ) Any recent experiences getting HSBC to discount its posted rates and/or rate match? Based on Premier relationship or otherwise?

We ported over an investment loan as a mortgage in 2017 and were able to get 2.35% on the mortgage part (5 yr fixed) plus a HELOC at P+0.25, on which we've taken a bit more out in the past 2.5 years. I've been planning to just pay it all off at end of term in 2022. But if HSBC were keen to give a really good rate, would be happy to move the current HELOC balance to a fixed term, and/or blend and extend our existing mortgage. However, the posted 2.79% (house over $1MM and d.p. >> 20% so the 2.49% doesn't apply) isn't really compelling to lock in, yet.

Before I contact our Relationship Manager, any recent intel on what's achievable with them these days? Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)