HSBC Premier+Jade Thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2006
773 posts
281 upvotes
When switching from a "Premier" account to a "Jade" account, does anyone know if your account number changes? The reason I ask is because I received a batch of cheques for my 4 accounts. It also shows as "HSBC Premier" on the cheques themselves.

Wondering if that changes when you switch over...

Thanks.
May 11, 2018
23 posts
9 upvotes
Bank account numbers stay the same. Different number for the MasterCard.
Nov 11, 2006
773 posts
281 upvotes
pedanticus wrote: Bank account numbers stay the same. Different number for the MasterCard.
That's good to know, thank you. Do you happen to know whether the cheques for Jade clients have HSBC "Jade" pre-printed on them, instead of HSBC Premier?
May 11, 2018
23 posts
9 upvotes
CanRulez wrote: That's good to know, thank you. Do you happen to know whether the cheques for Jade clients have HSBC "Jade" pre-printed on them, instead of HSBC Premier?
Mine don't.
Dec 27, 2017
201 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
CanRulez wrote: That's good to know, thank you. Do you happen to know whether the cheques for Jade clients have HSBC "Jade" pre-printed on them, instead of HSBC Premier?
I haven't ordered new cheques since converting to Jade, so mine don't either. I really don't write very many cheques, so it is going to take a long time before I find out. :)
Nov 11, 2006
773 posts
281 upvotes
Optimizer88 wrote: I haven't ordered new cheques since converting to Jade, so mine don't either. I really don't write very many cheques, so it is going to take a long time before I find out. :)
I have a HELOC on my account and the transactions will be for my real estate business. So I'll be writing a lot of cheques soon.

LOL
Mar 23, 2004
40562 posts
6653 upvotes
Markham
I google'ed and didnt see anything regarding Jade cheques, so looks like we will be in for a disappointment. They need $1m for this account and can't even do some nice cheques. Though to be fair cheques are not used as often compare to back then, and less excuse for HSBC to make its accounts worse.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1242 posts
722 upvotes
Ottawa
angel_wing0 wrote: I google'ed and didnt see anything regarding Jade cheques, so looks like we will be in for a disappointment. They need $1m for this account and can't even do some nice cheques.
Interesting! We are not Jade, but we explicitly had our relationship manager print our Premier cheques with the "Premier" designation removed, since we don't want to signal to people we are sending cheques to that we are affluent. If I were HSBC Jade, I would want to make doubly sure this is not on my cheques.

I'm not trying to argue which is better, but it's an example of different strokes for different folks!
May 7, 2017
805 posts
382 upvotes
houska wrote: Interesting! We are not Jade, but we explicitly had our relationship manager print our Premier cheques with the "Premier" designation removed, since we don't want to signal to people we are sending cheques to that we are affluent. If I were HSBC Jade, I would want to make doubly sure this is not on my cheques.

I'm not trying to argue which is better, but it's an example of different strokes for different folks!
Nice. I'll do that next time too. I am already annoyed by everything Premier cards.
Mar 23, 2004
40562 posts
6653 upvotes
Markham
houska wrote: Interesting! We are not Jade, but we explicitly had our relationship manager print our Premier cheques with the "Premier" designation removed, since we don't want to signal to people we are sending cheques to that we are affluent. If I were HSBC Jade, I would want to make doubly sure this is not on my cheques.

I see, since EMT comes into existence, I never use my cheques except for accounting linking anyway, so it doesnt really affect me. I can totally see how Premier/Jade (if it does exist) cheques can attract unwanted attention however.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3932 posts
1543 upvotes
Toronto
Optimizer88 wrote: Just two quick notes on this:

1) Switching to Jade got access to a much more senior RM, and a very noticeable improvement in responsiveness (typically within an hour during business hours), availability (available after hours via direct mobile phone number), and ability to get special waivers, fee reductions, overseas assistance, etc. as needed. It has been a big improvement from my perspective over the frequently rotating new kid RMs that HSBC had been using in recent years.

2) The Jade MC has three primary value differences compared to the Premier World Elite MC from my perspective. They are all fairly minor, but when combined make it a nice offering comparatively:
- Annual fee fully free
- $200 annual TEC instead of $100
- Unlimited free Loungkey visits for primary cardholder and guest, as well as any secondary card holders and their guests. So as a family you can bring in everyone for free for an unlimited number of times

Overall that means it basically gives $199 in value on the fee differentials plus however you individually value all those extra lounge visitors on an unlimited basis which is dependent on individual travel patterns. I personally like that my extended family gets free access while traveling on their own without me having to pick up another premium card individually for them with additional fees. But I recognize everyone's patterns are different.

The big differentiator for me is the senior RM that can handle things quickly and efficiently, and the other value adds are touches that make good sense and increase psychological loyalty for me as they are a nice touch.
Hey, my jade manager apply the jade credit card last wednesday.

how long did it take for you to get it?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3009 posts
889 upvotes
Ontario
Optimizer88 wrote: Just two quick notes on this:

1) Switching to Jade got access to a much more senior RM, and a very noticeable improvement in responsiveness (typically within an hour during business hours), availability (available after hours via direct mobile phone number), and ability to get special waivers, fee reductions, overseas assistance, etc. as needed. It has been a big improvement from my perspective over the frequently rotating new kid RMs that HSBC had been using in recent years.

2) The Jade MC has three primary value differences compared to the Premier World Elite MC from my perspective. They are all fairly minor, but when combined make it a nice offering comparatively:
- Annual fee fully free
- $200 annual TEC instead of $100
- Unlimited free Loungkey visits for primary cardholder and guest, as well as any secondary card holders and their guests. So as a family you can bring in everyone for free for an unlimited number of times

Overall that means it basically gives $199 in value on the fee differentials plus however you individually value all those extra lounge visitors on an unlimited basis which is dependent on individual travel patterns. I personally like that my extended family gets free access while traveling on their own without me having to pick up another premium card individually for them with additional fees. But I recognize everyone's patterns are different.

The big differentiator for me is the senior RM that can handle things quickly and efficiently, and the other value adds are touches that make good sense and increase psychological loyalty for me as they are a nice touch.
Thanks for your detailed feedback on Jade.

We're not Jade but are considering it. Currently I just have the WE MC. I closed my Advance accts in December after collecting the sign up bonus and waiting 1 year.

I'm glad to hear that you are receiving better service with the JADE RM. I wasn't very impressed with the service that I received from a branch manager when trying to apply for the WE MC. I was initially declined but managed to get the card after transferring big $$$ into their savings account. This was only temporary when there was an interest rate promotion.

I'm mostly attracted to Jade for the superior Jade MC. Right now my WE MC costs me $49/yr with the $100 TEC. With Jade this would be a gain of $200/yr with the TEC and no AF. So an overall gain of $249/yr for me with the lounge access. I wonder if they will also allow my spouse to get their own Jade MC. They would be joint with me on the non-reg HSBC Investdirect acct of $1MM+. I believe we can both qualify for JADE on our own and have our own separate JADE MC with this joint brokerage acct. I also wonder if my spouse will have a hard time qualifying for the MC just as I did. In my opinion, it should be virtually guaranteed with the $1MM+ balance at Investdirect but with HSBC you never know. They have excellent credit history, no balances and minimal credit hits. But income is relatively low as an early retiree.

For the lounge access, is it the cardholder + 1 guest? So the secondary cardholder would also be able to get 1 guest in for a total of 4 people?

I should add that I'm currently invested quite happily with IB but am interested in the Jade perks. Plus, I'm concerned with leaving much more than $1MM at IB because CIPF insurance (for Cdn brokerages) is only up to $1MM.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.9%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Dec 27, 2017
201 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
As I recall it was within a few days. It arrived by courier from the States as I recall.

You can add all the supplemental cards you want that have the same full set of perks with the Jade MC - without them having to qualify on their own. My spouse got a separate Jade MC with full benefits and we did it just as a supplemental so it all comes on one itemized bill (broken out by card number). So your spouse should be fine. Confirm with your RM of course.

On lounge access it is setup for unlimited guests at most lounges I've visited. I've brought in multiple people travelling with me on a single card without ever having experienced a charge. So has my spouse when not travelling with me. It is the most generous lounge policy I have on all the various cards I carry. They also have kept many of the dining type "lounges" at airport restaurants that Priority Pass dropped. Although I don't know how long that will last.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3009 posts
889 upvotes
Ontario
Optimizer88 wrote: As I recall it was within a few days. It arrived by courier from the States as I recall.

You can add all the supplemental cards you want that have the same full set of perks with the Jade MC - without them having to qualify on their own. My spouse got a separate Jade MC with full benefits and we did it just as a supplemental so it all comes on one itemized bill (broken out by card number). So your spouse should be fine. Confirm with your RM of course.

On lounge access it is setup for unlimited guests at most lounges I've visited. I've brought in multiple people travelling with me on a single card without ever having experienced a charge. So has my spouse when not travelling with me. It is the most generous lounge policy I have on all the various cards I carry. They also have kept many of the dining type "lounges" at airport restaurants that Priority Pass dropped. Although I don't know how long that will last.
Thanks for the great info!

In terms of my spouse's own JADE MC, it would be preferable for them to get their own to benefit from the $200 TEC on two MC accounts. But if there are qualification problems (which I would hope not as JADE clients), at least giving them an authorized user card allows them to use the MC acct and get into the lounge on their own.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.9%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Dec 27, 2017
201 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
minimalist wrote: In terms of my spouse's own JADE MC, it would be preferable for them to get their own to benefit from the $200 TEC on two MC accounts. But if there are qualification problems (which I would hope not as JADE clients), at least giving them an authorized user card allows them to use the MC acct and get into the lounge on their own.
Good point about the 2nd TEC. I'll be curious to hear what the result is - that would be a good idea for us to do as well I suppose!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)