• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2023 6:20 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2017
411 posts
300 upvotes
Ontario
wyho007 wrote: Investdirect charges a $25 quarterly maintenance fees for assets under $25k in the account. Assuming no trades done during the quarter and no Jade status, does this $25k asset level required to be maintained daily or just at each calendar quarter end to have the $25 maint. fees waived?
Sounds like it is based on specific day at the end of each quarter according to footnote 1 here: https://www.hsbc.ca/investments/investd ... fees/#fn-1
Dec 27, 2017
411 posts
300 upvotes
Ontario
SoroSuub1 wrote: Does anyone know if and/or when HSBC will be giving out red pockets? Is there a different set for Jade?
They had fancy Jade ones last year that came with a nice set of Chinese tea and some tasty cookies from a Chinese bakery. Haven't heard anything this year yet... It came in late January if I remember correctly.
May 31, 2018
63 posts
62 upvotes
Calgary
Optimizer88 wrote: They had fancy Jade ones last year that came with a nice set of Chinese tea and some tasty cookies from a Chinese bakery. Haven't heard anything this year yet... It came in late January if I remember correctly.
Nice - absolutely nothing here in 2022, though I suppose that's the way things are if you're Jade and not in the GTA or Greater Vancouver? I did get a crystal ox in 2021, but no signs of even any 2023 calendars from HSBC thus far...I have been able to get my hands on some red pockets in the past from in person visits to my main HSBC branch, but they've all said "HSBC Premier" - wasn't aware that there are special Jade ones.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4968 posts
5084 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Optimizer88 wrote: They had fancy Jade ones last year that came with a nice set of Chinese tea and some tasty cookies from a Chinese bakery. Haven't heard anything this year yet... It came in late January if I remember correctly.
what? How come I didn't get it.
May be because I didn't spend enough money with them?
I mainly just hold investment in InvestDirect
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Aug 2, 2018
175 posts
102 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: what? How come I didn't get it.
Likewise. I barely hit the minimum. Never heard of it.
Dec 27, 2017
411 posts
300 upvotes
Ontario
cheapshopper wrote: what? How come I didn't get it.
Not sure. I'm also pretty fully in just investdirect too. Never figured out a pattern to the gifts HSBC sends at different times of the year each year.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4968 posts
5084 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Optimizer88 wrote: Not sure. I'm also pretty fully in just investdirect too. Never figured out a pattern to the gifts HSBC sends at different times of the year each year.
$2M in InvestDirect, Over 3 years, I never get any gift. What the hell!
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Dec 27, 2017
411 posts
300 upvotes
Ontario
cheapshopper wrote: $2M in InvestDirect, Over 3 years, I never get any gift. What the hell!
I'm guessing it is a role of the relationship with the RM. Not sure if it is a system-wide gift process, or just a function of the RM's own customer service to maintain the relationship.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3370 posts
1782 upvotes
My wife and I Joint the club and hoping RBC grandfather this perk. The package doesn't tell you about the other Jade perk except for the credit card like the TEN membership. Is there something else that will come in the mail?

Am I reading it correctly that supplementary cards are also eligible for the airport lounge perks?
20230117_205008.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4968 posts
5084 upvotes
Richmond Hill
zzricezz wrote: My wife and I Joint the club and hoping RBC grandfather this perk. The package doesn't tell you about the other Jade perk except for the credit card like the TEN membership. Is there something else that will come in the mail?

Am I reading it correctly that supplementary cards are also eligible for the airport lounge perks?
Welcome to the club.
Now, seem like your RM didn't tell you how to maximize the benefits.
You and your wife should each get your own Jade MC Card. This way, you each get 2 lounge access. Plus, each of you get $200 TEC each year.

TEN is completely useless

Other than that, you basically pay no fees and have access to good interest rate.
Also if you need to do large amount of FX, ask your RM to do it for you, they can get you better rate.

I don't have high hope RBC will keep Jade benefits. We will see.
May 31, 2018
63 posts
62 upvotes
Calgary
zzricezz wrote: My wife and I Joint the club and hoping RBC grandfather this perk. The package doesn't tell you about the other Jade perk except for the credit card like the TEN membership. Is there something else that will come in the mail?

I really hope so too. The main draw for Jade is I get a bunch of free stuff and I still get the enjoyment of managing my own investments, unlike private banking schemes offered by the big six that seem to charge monthly fees but allow you to be completely hands off.

You might receive the other item (in gold and black) as well, but there's not much to the booklet - it's just a bunch of glossy "lifestyle" photographs and brief explanations of the benefits of HSBC Jade.

Supplementary cards are eligible for airport lounge perks - I got a supplementary card for my father (who lives at a different address) and he was able to use Dragonpass for airport lounge access here in Canada and in Europe this past fall.

Oh and I heard from my RM that HSBC Metal cards will be arriving for all HSBC Jade Mastercard holders in March, even though my HSBC Jade card isn't expiring until much later this year.
IMG_0461.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3370 posts
1782 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: Welcome to the club.
Now, seem like your RM didn't tell you how to maximize the benefits.
You and your wife should each get your own Jade MC Card. This way, you each get 2 lounge access. Plus, each of you get $200 TEC each year.

TEN is completely useless

Other than that, you basically pay no fees and have access to good interest rate.
Also if you need to do large amount of FX, ask your RM to do it for you, they can get you better rate.

I don't have high hope RBC will keep Jade benefits. We will see.
In the picture there are two jade packages, the RM was well aware.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3370 posts
1782 upvotes
gainsbarre wrote: I really hope so too. The main draw for Jade is I get a bunch of free stuff and I still get the enjoyment of managing my own investments, unlike private banking schemes offered by the big six that seem to charge monthly fees but allow you to be completely hands off.

You might receive the other item (in gold and black) as well, but there's not much to the booklet - it's just a bunch of glossy "lifestyle" photographs and brief explanations of the benefits of HSBC Jade.

Supplementary cards are eligible for airport lounge perks - I got a supplementary card for my father (who lives at a different address) and he was able to use Dragonpass for airport lounge access here in Canada and in Europe this past fall.

Oh and I heard from my RM that HSBC Metal cards will be arriving for all HSBC Jade Mastercard holders in March, even though my HSBC Jade card isn't expiring until much later this year.

IMG_0461.jpg
I got the lion card and expire 2027. This card looks cool and rather they just keep the design of it.
May 3, 2016
474 posts
58 upvotes
HSBC sold 100% to RBC and I am surprised it's still pretty keen in selling its new promotion and current products. How is RBC going to deliver?
Jan 14, 2017
663 posts
544 upvotes
wyho007 wrote: HSBC sold 100% to RBC and I am surprised it's still pretty keen in selling its new promotion and current products. How is RBC going to deliver?
RBC will likely fail to deliver but HSBC do not care.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19869 posts
2630 upvotes
I have to figure out a way to use one of our $200 TEC. People previously said that booking a hotel on Expedia and later cancelling worked - is that still the case?

Any other tips on how I can use the TEC? I also had the idea to maybe dine-out at a hotel restaurant but not sure that would show up as the right category?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4968 posts
5084 upvotes
Richmond Hill
brunes wrote: I have to figure out a way to use one of our $200 TEC. People previously said that booking a hotel on Expedia and later cancelling worked - is that still the case?

Any other tips on how I can use the TEC? I also had the idea to maybe dine-out at a hotel restaurant but not sure that would show up as the right category?
Expedia still work.
I actually use expedia to book cruise excursion so it is real use this year.