Hot Deals

[HSBC] Switch to HSBC to get up to $1000 back

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 3:08 pm
Mar 23, 2019
224 posts
119 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: tempting to do this but im tied up with 2 cibc and 2 simplii accounts! cannot do any more split paycheck deposits!
1)can u do the referall later on after u signed up?
2)when is the last date for this promo, i think i might try that advance checking account
3) how long do i need to keep the 5000$ in the account for? 6months?
4) after the 300$ bonus hits...can i cancel the account or do i gotta stay like a one year still?

tia
1)can u do the referall later on after u signed up? Yes, you will need to email the form to the banker who opened account for you
2)when is the last date for this promo, i think i might try that advance checking account. AFAIK, 2020.11.30
3) how long do i need to keep the 5000$ in the account for? 6months? AFAIK, one year after you receive the welcome bonus
4) after the 300$ bonus hits...can i cancel the account or do i gotta stay like a one year still? same as 3)
Mar 23, 2019
224 posts
119 upvotes
wilhelmthe1st wrote: I did the Simplii, TD and Coast Capital offers last year. Very minimal effort.

HSBC vs BMO this year.... $500 vs $300 for same requirements basically.

Probably going to go with HSBC since I'll be locked in with their CC to get the full welcome bonus the next while anyways and I'll be cancelling my BMO Airmiles card once the megamiles bonus posts...
Side track from this post, can i downgrade my BMO WE AM card to regular BMO AM card after I complete the mega bonus? first year free is coming up for my BMO WE AM card.

TIA
May 17, 2017
303 posts
601 upvotes
dzgzpy wrote: Side track from this post, can i downgrade my BMO WE AM card to regular BMO AM card after I complete the mega bonus? first year free is coming up for my BMO WE AM card.

TIA
Yes
Sep 11, 2011
695 posts
300 upvotes
Alberta
Well that's dumb, have to go into branch and confirm identity to complete the application, even already having the credit card. Ugh
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
2004 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
canuckcolehead wrote: Regarding the other bonuses:

$50 when you set up 2 recurring pre-authorized monthlydebits within 3 months:

"The first payment of each PAD must be debited and must clear from your acct... within 3 months"

Looks like you have to keep 2 PAD's for at least 3 months to get the bonus...

does a PAYTM / Tangerine $1 PAD work for this?

Have you gotten the answer on that?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4675 posts
1665 upvotes
Winnipeg
albundy99999999 wrote: Have you gotten the answer on that?
No answer yet but my Tangerine test coded as “Pre-Auth Pymt” so hopefully that works.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
2004 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
canuckcolehead wrote: No answer yet but my Tangerine test coded as “Pre-Auth Pymt” so hopefully that works.
Thanks for your reply. Do you have a link/procedure on how to do the pad from Tangerine to HSBC? I searched and couldn't find one.
Oct 15, 2012
316 posts
330 upvotes
Sudbury
SammyDavis wrote: Not a great bank.
Not a very good track record with respect to money laundering--even a $1.9 billion fine a few years back and a promise to clean up their practices has failed if you've watched the news recently (more dirty $$ flowing through them allegedly). Guess it helps in their upbeat rates :)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4675 posts
1665 upvotes
Winnipeg
albundy99999999 wrote: Thanks for your reply. Do you have a link/procedure on how to do the pad from Tangerine to HSBC? I searched and couldn't find one.
In Tangerine, add your HSBC acct # as an external account.

Tang will send 2 Small deposits to HSBC.

Verify the amounts and then you’re set to start a PAD (transfer) within Tang from HSBC to Tang.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12066 posts
3249 upvotes
Scarberia
albundy99999999 wrote: Thanks for your reply. Do you have a link/procedure on how to do the pad from Tangerine to HSBC? I searched and couldn't find one.
u do it via tangerine portal: make external account, verify it(takes couple days) , then move the money from tangerine to hsbc
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jul 29, 2016
169 posts
62 upvotes
Does this cause a credit hit? I was able to decline it at CIBC but want to know if hsbc will do a credit check for a chequing account
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
2004 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
canuckcolehead wrote: In Tangerine, add your HSBC acct # as an external account.

Tang will send 2 Small deposits to HSBC.

Verify the amounts and then you’re set to start a PAD (transfer) within Tang from HSBC to Tang.
mikka2017 wrote: u do it via tangerine portal: make external account, verify it(takes couple days) , then move the money from tangerine to hsbc
Thanks for the replies. After adding HSBC cheuqing account as external account in tangerine, is it not that I have to pull two transactions from HSBC to tangerine monthly instead of moving $ from tangerine to HSBC for that to consider as PAD or Pre-authorized Payment?
Jan 24, 2013
150 posts
107 upvotes
Rainy River
HSBC has pretty much no branches in Ontario unless you live in the GTA or Ottawa. Kingston, London and Windsor each have a branch but that is it. They've completely abandoned, northern and central Ontario. I would stay away as I have their savings account- the old HSBC Direct account and if you ever need service it is utterly and totally pathetic, on par with what you'd expect from government workers. Actions always speak louder than words and inaction tells me all I need to know. On a side note why are call centers always staffed with people who can't speak english and who no next to nothing about anything. Then after each time they don't resolve your issue they send a follow up survey that goes on forever, you tell them how to fix things (I tell them to empower their front-line employees so things will get done and hire people that speak english well) but they never do. Why do they ask if they are never prepared to take action? I mean if you are hiring customer service people, you want friendly, courteous people but you also want people that are knowledgeable and can solve problems and take action to resolve the issue. You don't want them to just take messages and shoot an e-mail off to God knows who and then nobody resolves anything then you follow up with the next ignorant one a week later who does the same thing. 40 years ago this type of service was unheard of now we just accept it, I think we as consumers need to call it out and chastise the ineptness at every opportunity we get.
Nov 22, 2017
34 posts
20 upvotes
For the referral, does it have to be done before account creation? I will be opening an Advance account just for the promotion and will be wanting someone to refer me. However can I open an account just to start the timer per se of the time requirements and someone refer me later? Or do they have to complete the referral paperwork prior to me opening an account?