Expired Hot Deals

VirginMobile.ca

HTC Wildfire 0$, $150 Tab, $100 Gift Card On Virgin Mobile At BB/FS, 1st Month Free

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2012 9:41 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10749 posts
5373 upvotes
Toronto

[VirginMobile.ca] HTC Wildfire 0$, $150 Tab, $100 Gift Card On Virgin Mobile At BB/FS, 1st Month Free

The Mobile Shop in Loblaws/RCSS stores have the HTC Wildfire S currently with a $125 PC gift card. If you are looking for a compact smart phone without a contract, this might be it. No data required and no minimum plan either. Great for a moderate user who wants a smart phone, but doesn't want to sign a three year contract. Unknown when this offer expires and if it is in all TMS stores. Future Shop and Best Buy also have this deal with a $100 GC, possible PM? If they are a preferable seller.

Virgin Mobile is very similar to Koodo in their approach. No contract, leave at any time, but they put a $150 Super Tab on your bill that is paid down by 10% of your monthly bill. Pay that and leave, no extra charges. So sign up get a phone for $0, $150 Super Tab on your bill, and get an instant $125 in gift cards. Net cost $25.

The plans are pretty competitive and a couple of the $20 plans look good for casual users who don't need serious minutes.
They also have features similar to Koodo, Canada Wide Long Distance, No roaming. Free family calling etc.

http://www.themobileshop.ca/

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/home/index.html

Phone
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones/ph ... 7BBroad%7D

Edit: Also first month charges free, up to $50. Ending Jan 18th.
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/pla ... e_talktext

Net Cost of the phone near $0 or better with the free first month.

No $35 Activation Fee.

They also have a Referral Kickback program that gives $10 credit to VM customers for referring a new activation.
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/hot-offers/kickbacks.html

Update 1/11/12:
I have some more info on The Mobile Shop issue. It seems that it has to do with them price matching FS/BB, so it may be a bit YMMV, but still doable.
I called the same store that had told me $150 Tab $125 GC and talked to someone completely different. Asked the price, and was told $125 gift card and $200 Tab. When I brought up the FS $150 Tab, her response was that we will match that $150 Tab and still give you the $125 GC. Without me asking if the GC would be $100 or $125, that came unprompted. So it seems that to get the deal at TMS you may need to approach it as a price match. Bring the FS/BB flyer or call asking about a FS/BB PM. This may also make it time limited, since the BB/FS offer may be done tomorrow night, when the new pricing starts.

Update 1/12/12
It looks like the TMS offer was one big mistake. Today I got seemingly credible word that TMS can not, at the moment, PM the Tab amount at BB/FS, So far.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Future Shop and Best Buy have extended the HTC Wildfire offer this week, and the offer is in the current FS flyer.

So at either the deal is HTC Wildfire S $0, $150 Tab, $100 Gift Card and first month Virgin Mobile charges free.
Net Cost for the phone $50, minus first month charges.
96 replies
Sep 21, 2004
11086 posts
6035 upvotes
Calgary
this is super hot deal. Can anyone else confirm?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10749 posts
5373 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote: this is super hot deal. Can anyone else confirm?

You might get some mixed messages from the mobile shop. They do have a $125 GC with this phone, but some of them seem to be unaware that the tab amount has recently been changed to $150, from $200 I believe. I did see this phone in both Future Shop and Best Buy with a $100 GC and clearly stating $150 Super Tab on the tags. It's actually in both FS/BB flyers this week, so I can't see VM having a different tab amount for a phone at different vendors. The bottom line is I'm 90% sure that The Mobile Shop offer is good, but not 100% yet.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10749 posts
5373 upvotes
Toronto
idiotcanuck wrote: You might get some mixed messages from the mobile shop. They do have a $125 GC with this phone, but some of them seem to be unaware that the tab amount has recently been changed to $150, from $200 I believe. I did see this phone in both Future Shop and Best Buy with a $100 GC and clearly stating $150 Super Tab on the tags. It's actually in both FS/BB flyers this week, so I can't see VM having a different tab amount for a phone at different vendors. The bottom line is I'm 90% sure that The Mobile Shop offer is good, but not 100% yet.

Just to clarify what I meant above. One TMS store did tell me that they had this phone with a $150 Tab and a $125 GC early yesterday. I did see the gift card amount posted in the store, but not the Tab amount. So there is a slight chance this person was mistaken. I could not get confirmation of the Tab amount at other TMS stores, yet, but given FS/BB Tab amount is $150, and this was confirmed, it is most likely that the original TMS employee was correct.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1039 posts
275 upvotes
So you supertab it at $150 and get a $125 gift card for Superstore. Then you cancel and pay off the $150 supertab. Can I then unlock this phone and use it on 711 speakout or even presidents choice mobile? I read somewhere that some of these phones don't have sim cards and are thus impossible to move to another service.
Jun 30, 2010
603 posts
58 upvotes
hlzhang wrote: How much to unlock it?
$3.56 Canadian according to ebay :)
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16629 posts
4364 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
And Virgin Mobile is Bell, so you will get good coverage all around.

Similar to Telus as they both share the same network.
Jun 30, 2010
603 posts
58 upvotes
idiotcanuck wrote: Just to clarify what I meant above. One TMS store did tell me that they had this phone with a $150 Tab and a $125 GC early yesterday. I did see the gift card amount posted in the store, but not the Tab amount. So there is a slight chance this person was mistaken. I could not get confirmation of the Tab amount at other TMS stores, yet, but given FS/BB Tab amount is $150, and this was confirmed, it is most likely that the original TMS employee was correct.

What's TMS? Also can anybody tell me which RCSS except for loblaws carry this phone?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
2250 posts
517 upvotes
Markham, ON
xtwo wrote: What's TMS?

I'm guessing The Mobile Shop?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10749 posts
5373 upvotes
Toronto
Here's an update.
These The Mobile Shop (TMS) guys are making me nuts, since at other stores they appear to have no notification of the $150 Tab amount. All their info says $199 Tab, but the guy at my original TMS store insists that it is $150 Tab with the $125 GC. So it appears the only way to know for sure is to process a sale on a Tab there and see that it comes up at $150. This is what I did at BB and it did come in at $150 Tab and FS had no question that it was a $150 Tab on their system. So all I can say is that if you want one of these from TMS get them to to process a transaction to confirm it.

Just a couple of positive aspects:

Virgin Mobile still has a free first month promotion. So on a new activation your first month charges will be free. Up to $50. Ending Jan 18th, I believe. So net cost of the phone becomes Sub $0 for many on +$25 plans.

They also have a Referral Kickback program that gives $10 credit to VM customers for referring a new activation.

There is currently no $35 activation fee either.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1298 posts
381 upvotes
Ottawa
I called one of the shops and he told me it was only $100 GC. He also told me the tab would be $250, but I'm starting to think that price is set by Virgin (so $150).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10749 posts
5373 upvotes
Toronto
Tuppin wrote: So you supertab it at $150 and get a $125 gift card for Superstore. Then you cancel and pay off the $150 supertab. Can I then unlock this phone and use it on 711 speakout or even presidents choice mobile? I read somewhere that some of these phones don't have sim cards and are thus impossible to move to another service.
The HTC Wildfire uses these frequencies, so if those providers use them, you should be fine. It does have a Sim card, so that shouldn't be an issue.

HSPA/UMTS: 850/1900 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
Jul 10, 2006
267 posts
33 upvotes
Edmonton
idiotcanuck wrote: The Mobile Shop in Loblaws/RCSS stores have the HTC Wildfire S currently with a $125 PC gift card. If you are looking for a compact smart phone without a contract, this might be it. No data required and no minimum plan either. Great for a moderate user who wants a smart phone, but doesn't want to sign a three year contract. Unknown when this offer expires and if it is in all TMS stores. Future Shop and Best Buy also have this deal with a $100 GC, possible PM? If they are a preferable seller.

Virgin Mobile is very similar to Koodo in their approach. No contract, leave at any time, but they put a $150 Super Tab on your bill that is paid down by 10% of your monthly bill. Pay that and leave, no extra charges. So sign up get a phone for $0, $150 Super Tab on your bill, and get an instant $125 in gift cards. Net cost $25.

The plans are pretty competitive and a couple of the $20 plans look good for casual users who don't need serious minutes.
They also have features similar to Koodo, Canada Wide Long Distance, No roaming. Free family calling etc.

http://www.themobileshop.ca/

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/home/index.html

Phone
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones/ph ... 7BBroad%7D

Edit: Also first month charges free, up to $50. Ending Jan 18th.
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/pla ... e_talktext

Net Cost of the phone near $0 or better with the free first month.

No $35 Activation Fee.

I'm a very light cell phone user, prepaid with Virgin Mobile. I note on the VM website that this phone can also be used for pure prepaid without a monthly charge (website lists cost at $150). Do you need to sign up for monthly plan to be eligible for the PC gift card?

Actually re-reading the op, it looks like I just asked a dumb question. sorry.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10749 posts
5373 upvotes
Toronto
aksher wrote: I'm a very light cell phone user, prepaid with Virgin Mobile. I note on the VM website that this phone can also be used for pure prepaid without a monthly charge (website lists cost at $150). Do you need to sign up for monthly plan to be eligible for the PC gift card?

Not necessarily a dumb question, but I don't have an answer. It is possible, I would call around to a few vendors and see. Assume 50% of the answers will be wrong though, so I'd recommend trying a few.
Mar 4, 2004
30 posts
4 upvotes
aksher wrote: I'm a very light cell phone user, prepaid with Virgin Mobile. I note on the VM website that this phone can also be used for pure prepaid without a monthly charge (website lists cost at $150). Do you need to sign up for monthly plan to be eligible for the PC gift card?

I am in the exact same situation. Just looking to update the ancient Audiovox flip phone I currently use. WiFi would be a great addition as well. Please post if you get any answers.

Thanks
Feb 21, 2008
408 posts
194 upvotes
I just got the Galaxy Ace from Koodo with a similar deal and that phone replaced my perfectly working Nexus S...

Why am I thinking about buying this phone too?
I need help...