• Jun 30th, 2019 3:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4508 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
Jswarez wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 12:47 pm
Have any of the phone companies said they will do anything for customers who are currently on contracts/tabs?
My mom has a P20 on a koodo tab.
they won't do anything for sure. Google confirms it will provide security updates and google services to existing phones. Hardware wise, phone usually don't break within the yr warranty anyways so that doesnt matter. You just won't get Android Q update that's all. By that time, you are probably getting a new phone anyways. I won't worry too much if I was you.

I am sure the US companies will lobby to lift this ban. Huawei buys like $11billion worth of supplies from them. Of course they can recoup some of it back from other players like samsung but there will still be some lost to them.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3451 posts
675 upvotes
Toronto
Jswarez wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 12:47 pm
Have any of the phone companies said they will do anything for customers who are currently on contracts/tabs?
My mom has a P20 on a koodo tab.
prolly nothing, since the phones should function the way it does just fine even without updates
Jul 16, 2013
466 posts
149 upvotes
isgaard wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 12:49 pm

Huawei grew its business without the US market, losing Canada, a market that is 11x smaller is less than a minor setback (if banned, unlikely). Trudeau and his telco donors don't want to ban Huawei from 5G and if US does somehow manage to step in and make it happen, Canada is pretty much the 51st state (which some won't mind at all!). In the end if Trudeau doesn't ban Huawei's 5G, people will accuse him of being in China's pocket. Face With Tears Of Joy

As if that's the reason why you're brainwashed to be so gungho about hating them. LOL. Let's all be real honest here, strip away all the superficial arguments about why you hate them, the underlying reason is because they're a Chinese company and US doesn't like how big they're getting, that's the only reason they're under attack.
Just wait till other countries start using 5G. This is not Judy telecommunication. It is used everywhere. Spaceship, military, surgery. Etc.
Apr 19, 2009
100 posts
70 upvotes
ZenaZ927 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:39 pm
Just wait till other countries start using 5G. This is not Judy telecommunication. It is used everywhere. Spaceship, military, surgery. Etc.
We will wait for it, but it won't be Huawei equipment it'll be from ethical companies that don't steal IP to get off the ground. Rogers and Freedom will be laughing all the way to the bank when they soon watch Bell and Telus spend millions tearing out Huawei 5G equipment and replacing it.
Jul 16, 2013
466 posts
149 upvotes
Nairbod wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:41 pm
We will wait for it, but it won't be Huawei equipment it'll be from ethical companies that don't steal IP to get off the ground. Rogers and Freedom will be laughing all the way to the bank when they soon watch Bell and Telus spend millions tearing out Huawei 5G equipment and replacing it.
We shall see. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8673 posts
1795 upvotes
London
Huawei 1st and then Toyota and VW can wait six months. Wondering if Japan and EU or at least Germany will sit there and wait for their turn.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3962 posts
1088 upvotes
Vancouver
Interesting thread on Huawei's activities going back 20+ years more or less listing their transgressions spanning the Bush, Obama, and Trump administrations.

Feb 3, 2010
124 posts
30 upvotes
I have already spoken to Virgin Mobile (I have the Huawei mate 20 pro, just got it 2 months ago too) they are currently awaiting on what higher management to make a decision on what to do. However they believe they will just replace the phones. Which ones they don't know. I'm thinking they will just ask to return the phone to cancel the contract and then you would go look for another phone.

So I would think all carrier's are doing the same.
Apr 19, 2009
100 posts
70 upvotes
P30 Pro are selling for $550ish now on Kijiji lol. You'd be an absolute sucker to buy one on contract right now even if you didn't mind Huawei's issues with software, reliability and their ethical problems.
Jul 16, 2013
466 posts
149 upvotes
Nairbod wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 12:34 pm
P30 Pro are selling for $550ish now on Kijiji lol. You'd be an absolute sucker to buy one on contract right now even if you didn't mind Huawei's issues with software, reliability and their ethical problems.
I will wait till it gets cheaper and buy one.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4508 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
Nairbod wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 12:34 pm
ZenaZ927 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 1:36 pm
I will wait till it gets cheaper and buy one.
I would buy one too but i dont see any selling for that cheap
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11381 posts
6199 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I'll buy when it's priced at $50 bucks!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!