• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2019 3:09 pm
Jul 16, 2013
466 posts
149 upvotes
marktang wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 1:37 pm
I would buy one too but i dont see any selling for that cheap
Just wait. Ppl r panicking. Good for ppl like us. I dont rely on Google service that much. YouTube? I have Android box. Google map? I can survive on here map. Gmail? My main email is Hotmail. Only thing I would miss is Google drive. But I can always use the desktop version. Only thing that holds me back is the screen size. I always want a big screen phone. I would like to get mate 20X. But I guess if it goes for cheap, I will get one.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4508 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
ZenaZ927 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 1:48 pm
Just wait. Ppl r panicking. Good for ppl like us. I dont rely on Google service that much. YouTube? I have Android box. Google map? I can survive on here map. Gmail? My main email is Hotmail. Only thing I would miss is Google drive. But I can always use the desktop version. Only thing that holds me back is the screen size. I always want a big screen phone. I would like to get mate 20X. But I guess if it goes for cheap, I will get one.
i use all the google services. From my understanding, the phones out right now won't be impacted. You can still access those services. security updates might be slower and for sure no Android Q if this goes on for a long time.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Jul 16, 2013
466 posts
149 upvotes
marktang wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 1:56 pm
i use all the google services. From my understanding, the phones out right now won't be impacted. You can still access those services. security updates might be slower and for sure no Android Q if this goes on for a long time.
Then I will def pick one up for cheap.
Feb 25, 2014
918 posts
318 upvotes
Ottawa
marktang wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 1:56 pm
I just got a security updated on my P20 Pro today.
Feb 25, 2014
918 posts
318 upvotes
Ottawa
apvm wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 9:06 pm
Huawei 1st and then Toyota and VW can wait six months. Wondering if Japan and EU or at least Germany will sit there and wait for their turn.
Then China will retaliate against Apple and any western company manufacturing electronics which require precious metals mined in China. This is a no-win situation for everyone
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4508 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
yow2kvil wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 4:04 pm
I just got a security updated on my P20 Pro today.
The ban is not effective yet. And as Google has said security updates and Google services will continue on existing devices.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Mar 18, 2011
893 posts
420 upvotes
Pickering
Read they were also banned from using microSD cards, as well.
Rule 1 of RFD: Do not talk about RFD.
Rule 2 of RFD: Do NOT. talk about. RFD!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3451 posts
674 upvotes
Toronto
TomF62003 wrote:
May 29th, 2019 3:55 pm
https://shilfa.com/hongkong/is-huaweis- ... hnologies/

can teckkies decipher this?
basically, a bunch of huawei smartphone users (across various models) in hongkong are having their phones bricked after a firmware update, sometimes applied automatically overnight without the users knowing about it. many users took their bricked phones to the local huawei service center but the huawei reps there dunno what to do about it nor able to provide a valid explanation, and the only workaround so far is to do a factory reset but that will wipe out any user data. some users said they were able to update and their phones did not brick, but some say their phones become wonky after the update, such as phone calls not working or screenshot functions not working
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3451 posts
674 upvotes
Toronto
TomF62003 wrote:
May 29th, 2019 5:38 pm
was it related to Gooxxx?
no idea; i was just trying to make sense of that link you posted, thats all

my best guess is the hong kong division of huawei messed up and sent out a buggy firmware update causing the phones to brick, but the odd thing is that more than one phone models were affected, at the same time
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5507 posts
1210 upvotes
GTA
marktang wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 1:37 pm
I would buy one too but i dont see any selling for that cheap
At what price it's good buy? 40, 50 or 60% off competitor?

Also, is it difficult to restore the key features lost from the ban? say from custom ROM specifically for the model?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12048 posts
1540 upvotes
Kanata
LongLiveRFD wrote:
May 30th, 2019 11:21 pm

Also, is it difficult to restore the key features lost from the ban? say from custom ROM specifically for the model?
Custom ROM is hard since bootloader is locked. Don't expect good dev support for a device that's locked. I'm sure there are workarounds to this, there seem to be some bootloader unlocks on ebay for $50+ but that's a definite YMMV.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12048 posts
1540 upvotes
Kanata
LongLiveRFD wrote:
May 30th, 2019 11:21 pm

Custom ROM is hard since bootloader is locked. Don't expect good dev support for a device that's locked. I'm sure there are workarounds to this, there seem to be some bootloader unlocks on ebay for $50+ but that's a definite YMMV.