• Jun 30th, 2019 3:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
4584 posts
3011 upvotes
Calgary
Quickman wrote:
May 19th, 2019 8:00 pm
For the uninformed, why is the US government doing this?
They don't want a Chinese company to have intimate control of their communications systems. Would you?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8405 posts
644 upvotes
Menace wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:05 pm
I know, it sounds "racist" Pure eh? lol
Not racist, but ignorance. Nothing wrong with ignorance.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11110 posts
1474 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:27 pm
nope.
u don't have to agree with me but that's the fact unfortunately..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1452 posts
1123 upvotes
mobile_mic wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:07 pm
Good riddance to Huawei and it's Chinese police state owners. I'll stick to US, South Korean, and phone manufacturers based in Western democracies. It's such a shame that BlackBerry abandoned making secure and privacy oriented phones on their own OS. The free world (free speech, free thinking, free press, free elections) could use a secure privacy oriented OS and device now more than ever.

Mic
US with their worldwide saying and terrorism activities? Lol ok

At least china isn't going around the world blowing up civilians and capturing people abroad to bring to their torture camps indefinitely
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4418 posts
1320 upvotes
Kingston
illusionoffire wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:18 pm
Now with all the news about Google getting away from Huawei. Does this affect Canada and the Huawei phones we currently have?
Yes from what they are saying we won't get anymore Android updates. No new Android Q, no security updates, nothing. This is BS! I really wish I didn't get the p30 now. Amazing phone but this is a huge con now.

All the new phones probably won't even have android, there will be no Gmail, no playstore, no Google photos, no Google pay etc etc.
I hope we don't get those apps taken away from the current phones.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1168 posts
384 upvotes
Vaughan
StatsGuy wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:34 pm
US with their worldwide saying and terrorism activities? Lol ok

At least china isn't going around the world blowing up civilians and capturing people abroad to bring to their torture camps indefinitely
So sad to encounter a Chinese government apologist / sympathiser. The only reason why the Chinese government doesn't need to go around the world capturing people to torture and murder is because they are so busy doing it to their own citizens and foreigners who are living in China. Millions of Uyghurs are being "fixed" by China even as you read this. And where are some of the missing Canadians who mistook China to be a country just like all the others? Kovrig? Spavor? The people of China are a great people. I know this because I have many Chinese - Canadian friends and family members. They flee to Canada to escape the twisted totalitarian state prison that is China. The government of China is a thuggish police state regime that needs to be replaced with something more civilized. Look at Taiwan. The great people of China can have a great democratic government too. I can't wait until the other billion "mainlanders" get a chance to toss out their "basic dictatorship".

Mic
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow
Sep 6, 2011
793 posts
1167 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:44 pm
Yes from what they are saying we won't get anymore Android updates. No new Android Q, no security updates, nothing. This is BS! I really wish I didn't get the p30 now. Amazing phone but this is a huge con now.
So far, the initial report is from Reuters and has yet to be confirmed by anybody else so it's still a developing story at the moment.
Tha DraGun wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:44 pm
All the new phones probably won't even have android, there will be no Gmail, no playstore, no Google photos, no Google pay etc etc.
I hope we don't get those apps taken away from the current phones.
That just says you're too dependent on those cloud base services and that you need to diversify. I don't use gmail, google photos, android pay, I don't even have a google account installed on my phones. The only thing I use google is the maps but that shit is so intrusive I use it less and less and go for alternative maps that is mostly offline.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1452 posts
1123 upvotes
mobile_mic wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:50 pm
So sad to encounter a Chinese government apologist / sympathiser. The only reason why the Chinese government doesn't need to go around the world capturing people to torture and murder is because they are so busy doing it to their own citizens and foreigners who are living in China. Millions of Uyghurs are being "fixed" by China even as you read this. And where are some of the missing Canadians who mistook China to be a country just like all the others? Kovrig? Spavor? The people of China are a great people. I know this because I have many Chinese - Canadian friends and family members. They flee to Canada to escape the twisted totalitarian state prison that is China. The government of China is a thuggish police state regime that needs to be replaced with something more civilized. Look at Taiwan. The great people of China can have a great democratic government too. I can't wait until the other billion "mainlanders" get a chance to toss out their "basic dictatorship".

Mic
So you're saying it's better to bomb civilians including hospitals and schools in foreign countries and capture citizens abroad and at home to send to their torture camps?

The US also commit war crimes all across the world, china doesn't
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8025 posts
545 upvotes
Scarborough
On the eye of beholder.

I like pure boring/fast update phones, they like boatware/spyware/lack of update phones.
r1lee wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:29 pm
Not racist, but ignorance. Nothing wrong with ignorance.
Oct 10, 2016
199 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
kiasu wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:32 pm
u don't have to agree with me but that's the fact unfortunately..
It has little to do with china 2025. It is because China never plays by the WTO's rules.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1645 posts
324 upvotes
Can we stick to the non-political debate, and focus back on the effect on functionality of the phones?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4418 posts
1320 upvotes
Kingston
isgaard wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:51 pm
So far, the initial report is from Reuters and has yet to be confirmed by anybody else so it's still a developing story at the moment.

That just says you're too dependent on those cloud base services and that you need to diversify. I don't use gmail, google photos, android pay, I don't even have a google account installed on my phones. The only thing I use google is the maps but that shit is so intrusive I use it less and less and go for alternative maps that is mostly offline.
I use them because they are good apps. What are the better alternatives? Hotmail? Lol
I guess Dropbox would work for photo backup but again not as good. And I don't use Google pay (yet) but what's the alternative to that. I've tried other maps like waze but I like Google maps better.

We should have a choice what apps we want to use.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11110 posts
1474 upvotes
RobertL130 wrote:
May 19th, 2019 10:02 pm
It has little to do with china 2025. It is because China never plays by the WTO's rules.
nope...talking about plays by the rules...did US ever play by the rules? LOL...if u think US plays by the rules, u r naivy...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1168 posts
384 upvotes
Vaughan
Bottom line here is that it's best to avoid Chinese brand phones (and other tech) right now. They have dubious OS support from Google. If you want to buy a cell phone with a unsupported OS go get a BlackBerry 9900. LoL. Otherwise stick to Korean phones (Samsung, LG), Canadian phones (BlackBerry), or anything that isn't a Chinese (mainland, not Taiwan where the true democratic Chinese government functions) owned entity. It's definitely buyer beware going forward. Beware buying phones, computers, tablets, or any tech manufactured by a company that has its HQ in mainland China. It has dubious support going forward if the OS is from a relatively democratic and free country (Canada, Australia, USA, UK, most of Europe).

Mic
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow