Cell Phones

Huawei to lose access to Android and Google

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2019 3:09 pm
Oct 10, 2016
199 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Rumor has it that an updated P10 plus (China ROM) has no play store already, and users can only download app from huawei's app store. Don't know can user manually install play store like before.
Oct 10, 2016
199 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
JuniorMint wrote:
May 19th, 2019 11:54 pm
Lol, why would you even buy phones from a state sponsored company anyways? Especially from a totalitarian regime. I’m chinese and I wouldn’t even touch a chinese phone.
haha, you are dead wrong. Unlike alibaba、hainan ...., Huawei is not a state sponsored company. Huawei is a liberation army's company.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2769 posts
113 upvotes
I don't like the ccp or communists but if you think everything that is happening now is somehow due to "national security" or simply because of China's anti-human rights or anti-democratic behavior, you probably drank too much of the Gordon Chang koolaid. Either that or you are some yellow umbrella or sunflower movement member and you want to see China go down in flames no matter what. Ironically, the latter group moved to the mainland for better work opportunities.

There is no moral reasoning to this, it's simply business. Like another poster said, the US is afraid that China will surpass them so they are now pulling all the stops.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Huawei phone last year but ended up getting a xiaomi instead. I hope this doesn't escalate to other Chinese phone brands. Heck, I am even planning to get my mom a oneplus 7 pro.
I post, you decide.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8028 posts
3603 upvotes
MVRD
...alright, where's my Nokia E72 now...(Made in Finland)
Sep 6, 2011
831 posts
1167 upvotes
RobertL130 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 1:02 am
Rumor has it that an updated P10 plus (China ROM) has no play store already, and users can only download app from huawei's app store. Don't know can user manually install play store like before.
Uh, if the phone (of any kind, be it Samsung, Oppo, LG, whatever) was China rom and was a China release, it doesn't come with anything google, period. The entire GApps suite usually has to be installed from root (for some phones, bootloader doesn't have to be unlocked and the phone doesn't have to be rooted). Manually sideloading playstore APK won't work as google locked that out and all the newer Google apps won't work without Google Play services installed, which reminds me of Blackberry 10 and sideloaded APK of a really old 2014 version of google map I have on a Blackberry Q10. There are a bunch of independent app stores you can install that has a bunch of APKs that install similar to play store app without going through all this shenanigan, except you don't get access to Google Play services such as maps, drive, photos, etc.

All of the above means there's too much dependence on services people cannot control, you buy a device but you don't control the software and control what can or cannot go on it unless you know what the hell you're doing. Some people don't want facebook preinstalled or some of the google shit preinstalled, people should have the right to delete those spywares.
Jul 16, 2013
466 posts
149 upvotes
isgaard wrote:
May 20th, 2019 2:17 am
Uh, if the phone (of any kind, be it Samsung, Oppo, LG, whatever) was China rom and was a China release, it doesn't come with anything google, period. The entire GApps suite usually has to be installed from root (for some phones, bootloader doesn't have to be unlocked and the phone doesn't have to be rooted). Manually sideloading playstore APK won't work as google locked that out and all the newer Google apps won't work without Google Play services installed, which reminds me of Blackberry 10 and sideloaded APK of a really old 2014 version of google map I have on a Blackberry Q10. There are a bunch of independent app stores you can install that has a bunch of APKs that install similar to play store app without going through all this shenanigan, except you don't get access to Google Play services such as maps, drive, photos, etc.

All of the above means there's too much dependence on services people cannot control, you buy a device but you don't control the software and control what can or cannot go on it unless you know what the hell you're doing. Some people don't want facebook preinstalled or some of the google shit preinstalled, people should have the right to delete those spywares.
Haha. You just poked another bubble who hates China and wants it to go down by spreading rumors he doesn't even know what he is talking about lol
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8207 posts
3337 upvotes
Markham
isgaard wrote:
May 20th, 2019 2:17 am

Actually the store is not there but the framework could be.

Source: know someone with a Chinese Mate 10 Pro and was tasked to install WhatsApp on there.
Sep 6, 2011
831 posts
1167 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote:
May 20th, 2019 2:39 am
Actually the store is not there but the framework could be.
The Google play service framework isn't there for China phones destined for China market, period, see below for reason why your example doesn't work.
ToniCipriani wrote:
May 20th, 2019 2:39 am
Source: know someone with a Chinese Mate 10 Pro and was tasked to install WhatsApp on there.
Whatsapp doesn't require GApp services. It's installable by sideloading an apk and enabling 3rd party app on any device that doesn't have a play store, that's probably all your friend did. You can try it yourself, find a spare android device with no login for play store and play store disabled, go on the web browser search "whatsapp apk" on any search engine and you'll find the file you want to install, you literally don't need any app store of any kind to install whatsapp (or most non-google apps)
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11665 posts
1383 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
isgaard wrote:
May 19th, 2019 10:59 pm
Outlook app does support Gmail, so does many other email clients.
It's like people have not heard of POP/SMTP/IMAP standards, even though these protocols have been around since before they've even heard of the internet.

I'm with you. I don't use many Gapps. I disable PlayStore so it doesn't keep updating itself (unless I have the old, hacked version installed).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8207 posts
3337 upvotes
Markham
isgaard wrote:
May 20th, 2019 2:55 am
The Google play service framework isn't there for China phones destined for China market, period, see below for reason why your example doesn't work.

Whatsapp doesn't require GApp services. It's installable by sideloading an apk and enabling 3rd party app on any device that doesn't have a play store, that's probably all your friend did. You can try it yourself, find a spare android device with no login for play store and play store disabled, go on the web browser search "whatsapp apk" on any search engine and you'll find the file you want to install, you literally don't need any app store of any kind to install whatsapp (or most non-google apps)
No. I did it myself. Installed the Store APK then downloaded WhatsApp from there.
Sep 6, 2011
831 posts
1167 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
May 20th, 2019 3:08 am
It's like people have not heard of POP/SMTP/IMAP standards, even though these protocols have been around since before they've even heard of the internet.
Most people prefer convenience over security.
rabbit wrote:
May 20th, 2019 3:08 am
I'm with you. I don't use many Gapps. I disable PlayStore so it doesn't keep updating itself (unless I have the old, hacked version installed).
A few years back you didn't need GApp services installed to use Google Maps, you just installed the APK, it even had good features like offline viewing of the area without having to log in with a google account, rulers to point distance, they got rid of that because they want you to use the wayfinder to find the distance for better algorithm development.

The ironic thing about all of this for people who thinks this whole economic warfare is about privacy (LOL!), the most private phone you can get (if you live in the west) nowadays is a China phone that's easily rootable with no google services pre-installed, and install and delete what you want with ease. The whole setup a google account is meant to track you and upload everything you do on the device such as your contacts, your locations, and your wifi pw, etc. That's another thing people do way too often, logging onto free public wifis or using coffee shop wifi. I'm 100% mobile data with wifi mode turned off when outside. And if you live in China and you want a phone with privacy.... Blackberry 10 if you can still find one, or better yet, just don't use any device and live like a hermit.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11665 posts
1383 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Funny, but I do own a BB 10 :D . It used to be my bro's. Nice hardware, but I don't understand why the software keyboard always shows the keys in caps, even when it types lower case.

Yeah, Google Services suck. Bloated crap that keeps auto updating. I use the McD's app sometimes, and it relies on GoogleCrap.

edit// Oops, I have a BB Z10, not a 10.
Mar 1, 2010
851 posts
214 upvotes
if you know Snowden, you know everything, who is the spy indeed
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1005 posts
373 upvotes
Oakville
News gets better by the day. “Huawei has now lost most of its RAM, flash, processor suppliers after US blacklist.“. “Infineon, Qualcomm, Western Digital and more have all stopped supplying Huawei after a deeper ban on selling to Huawei or buying from the company has commenced in the United States.”

Payback is a bit&h. That’s for Nortel :)