• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2020 3:07 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2006
189 posts
88 upvotes
Richmond

Huawei P40 Pro Plus - Where in Canada?

I like the cameras on the P40 Pro Plus. Does anyone know where to get it in Canada? The only thing that I have found is a sketchy Chinese online store?

https://www.mi4canada.com/huawei-p40-pr ... b-els-n39/
Registered through GoDaddy... almost two years ago. Hmm...

Should I wait a month for it to be more widely available around the globe?
83 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6150 posts
1418 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kramy wrote: I like the cameras on the P40 Pro Plus. Does anyone know where to get it in Canada? The only thing that I have found is a sketchy Chinese online store?

https://www.mi4canada.com/huawei-p40-pr ... b-els-n39/
Registered through GoDaddy... almost two years ago. Hmm...

Should I wait a month for it to be more widely available around the globe?
https://swiftronics.ca/collections/huawei

you know there is no google play services, right?

**edit: posted link does not have the Plus version, only the Pro
Last edited by yesstyle on Jul 4th, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3130 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
I believe you may able to purchase from some Cdn carriers starting next week.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Jan 17, 2013
655 posts
253 upvotes
DJ Trance AZ wrote: Thank you for sharing the link. Would most of the Android apps work/run okay under Huawei OS? For example, I run WhatsApp and it does backup to my Google drive. I wonder if the backup would be fine under Huawei OS.
I do not know. Maybe someone else can chip in.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2006
189 posts
88 upvotes
Richmond
I'm not sure if that's the full Google Play / Google Mobile Services. I gather it's a bit more complicated than just downloading an APK:

I probably would hack it in, though I kind of like what Huawei is trying to accomplish. I don't like how privacy invasive some of this stuff is.

I sure do like the cameras! Great cameras. I'll tolerate a lot for a camera system like that.

I'll keep an eye open next week to see if the Plus shows up anywhere.
Nov 9, 2009
686 posts
99 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Why are they using their own OS and not Android?

I think they are less than trustworthy.
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2006
189 posts
88 upvotes
Richmond
inhaliburton wrote: Why are they using their own OS and not Android?

Trustworthy? No more than any other large company that might be pressured by government.

It is Android - just with some core apps missing. US companies like Google can't partner or work with them due to US sanctions. Officially it's because they sold stuff to Iran years ago, making them baddies (The only equipment supposed to go there was NSA infected Cisco equipment.), although the US sanctions didn't show up until Huawei network hardware, phones and other equipment started to eat away at sales from US companies like Cisco, Apple, European ones like Nokia and Ericsson, etc. (Many of which are very hackable as well.)

Huawei seemed to be producing networking equipment for 1/3rd the cost with better capabilities/performance and simpler to setup/maintain. Likewise their phone tech took a commanding 6-18 month lead a few years back. Just think back to how long it took other companies to put telephoto lenses on their phones. Huawei did 3x optical ~2.5 years ago, with the P20 Pro? Just about 30 months back.

The timing of the sanctions (right after they started releasing tons of awesome hardware) does make me suspicious of the actual reason. (USA not wanting competition.) That said, they probably did receive help from the Chinese government. Liberated source code and whatnot for them to build off of, though I doubt they employ hackers like that themselves. The company has global ambitions and is likely keeping its nose clean at the moment.

Anyway, politics aside - I just want an awesome camera phone. :D
Feb 19, 2009
239 posts
95 upvotes
inhaliburton wrote: Why are they using their own OS and not Android?

You should blame the orange buffoon
[OP]
Oct 14, 2006
189 posts
88 upvotes
Richmond
eklips wrote: Just be careful with PDA Plaza. Lots of disappointed RFDers in the latter posts.

pdaplaza-ca-reviews-concerns-2251797/
4 months to be delivered... almost like they're waiting for the price to drop, then shipping it. Seems a bit fishy.