Personal Finance

Hubert 1-yr Quarterly Term 4.6% avg, Savings account 3.25%, Updated Dec 19, 2022

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2023 9:46 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
4637 posts
2497 upvotes
10/10 would recommend Hubert. Quick, efficient, and friendly. Transfer to external bank accounts usually settle on the same day.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2004
6929 posts
8766 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
Question for anyone who knows.

So I just opened a hubert account and I created a fixed term GIC at 1 year (quarterly). I now need to add money to it.

My question is, when does the 1 year start - from the day I created the GIC, or the day I add money to it?

Can you only add money once and then it is locked?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7826 posts
8512 upvotes
Vancouver
adamtheman wrote: when does the 1 year start... the day I add money to it?

Can you only add money once and then it is locked?
This.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2792 posts
1256 upvotes
Burnaby
adamtheman wrote: Question for anyone who knows.

So I just opened a hubert account and I created a fixed term GIC at 1 year (quarterly). I now need to add money to it.

My question is, when does the 1 year start - from the day I created the GIC, or the day I add money to it?

Can you only add money once and then it is locked?
In my experience (only 3 months as a customer) they usually just remove it from your account list the day if you don't add money to it. You cant add more money after your 1 transfer in, that would probably make for horrible book keeping if say the rates adjust or when to pay you out your quarterly interest.

I dont know if there is a limit but you probably could do for example $1000 into a new GIC everyday if you wanted to.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2004
6929 posts
8766 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
amplified wrote: In my experience (only 3 months as a customer) they usually just remove it from your account list the day if you don't add money to it. You cant add more money after your 1 transfer in, that would probably make for horrible book keeping if say the rates adjust or when to pay you out your quarterly interest.

I dont know if there is a limit but you probably could do for example $1000 into a new GIC everyday if you wanted to.
That makes sense. I was just wondering because I added the GIC and it showed up and then I couldn't xfer money to it because my money was "on hold" but per the advice in this thread I phoned them and they will able to remove the hold so I could move the money over. I was just wondering what would have happened if I haden't moved money in it today and it sounds like they just would have removed the GIC entirely. Thanks for clarifying that!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2010
3136 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
amplified wrote: ...
I dont know if there is a limit but you probably could do for example $1000 into a new GIC everyday if you wanted to.
There's no limit from my experience, I have been able to make about 5 or something separate GICs in a day and load them with cash.
e.g. 10k, 5k, 3k, 2k, 1k

My reason is, I can break them and access the funds if needed without jeopardizing the interest, in case anyone was wondering why do this.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7826 posts
8512 upvotes
Vancouver
Today the rate on Hubert's Rates page for the 12-mo quarterly-paying GIC says 4.6%, an apparent increase from 4.5%.

But their details page still says 4.5%, and the starting rate for a new 12-mo GIC is still shown as 4.35%. I didn't notice while I was talking to them, so I don't know if this is an error, or somebody jumped the gun on Rates page mods before the rest of the system has caught up and sent out notices.

Update: Confirmed by email announcement later in the day - but they still forgot to update their Details page (still showing 4.5% instead of the 4.6% announced in the main page).
Last edited by Scote64 on Dec 19th, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2010
721 posts
898 upvotes
Vancouver
Updated OP to reflect new rates, quarterly up 0.1%, savings 0.25%
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7826 posts
8512 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd like to switch my GIC today on the quarterly payment date, but the Hubert phone system appears to be down. I called in, was "#1 in queue" right away, waited 30 minutes, and then got kicked off. Twice. I left a callback request - nothing.
Jr. Member
Feb 28, 2007
180 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: I'd like to switch my GIC today on the quarterly payment date, but the Hubert phone system appears to be down. I called in, was "#1 in queue" right away, waited 30 minutes, and then got kicked off. Twice. I left a callback request - nothing.
according to happysavings.ca, they are closed Dec24.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7826 posts
8512 upvotes
Vancouver
bjwcg7tf wrote: according to happysavings.ca, they are closed Dec24.
I eventually saw that. They're normally open Saturday, and I was just dialing their saved number without access to the web site. Would have been nice if they thought to update their phone system to say "we're closed early for the holidays" instead of "you're #1 in queue".
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: I eventually saw that. They're normally open Saturday, and I was just dialing their saved number without access to the web site. Would have been nice if they thought to update their phone system to say "we're closed early for the holidays" instead of "you're #1 in queue".
You can create a GIC today on the website, and then phone them on the 27th and have them transfer to the one you created today. That way you wont lose 3 days interest.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7826 posts
8512 upvotes
Vancouver
Bull Dog wrote: You can create a GIC today on the website, and then phone them on the 27th and have them transfer to the one you created today. That way you wont lose 3 days interest.
Have you ever tried that? With the $ coming from terminating an existing quarterly GIC? Did it actually work, as in not losing a few days interest?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Have you ever tried that? With the $ coming from terminating an existing quarterly GIC? Did it actually work, as in not losing a few days interest?
I haven't tried it, but I phoned them last week and they told me I could do that for a GIC with the quarterly interest renewing today, since they are closed for a few days.

Might as well, worse comes to worse ask them to delete the empty GIC on the 27th
Jr. Member
Feb 28, 2007
180 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Have you ever tried that? With the $ coming from terminating an existing quarterly GIC? Did it actually work, as in not losing a few days interest?
I tried it..actually, they also suggested that when I asked how to handle when my GIC next interest date fell on a holiday
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9259 posts
5091 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Have you ever tried that? With the $ coming from terminating an existing quarterly GIC? Did it actually work, as in not losing a few days interest?
I learned that despite the day you open the GIC, you only earn interest on the GIC for the number of days the money is actually in the GIC. If you add the funds days after the GIC is created, you do not earn interest on the days when the GIC is not actually funded. That was my experience, anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7826 posts
8512 upvotes
Vancouver
choclover wrote: I learned that despite the day you open the GIC, you only earn interest on the GIC for the number of days the money is actually in the GIC. If you add the funds days after the GIC is created, you do not earn interest on the days when the GIC is not actually funded. That was my experience, anyways.
I'll ask whether they will back-date the transfer. Obviously if they don't then there's no advantage, and you're just out of luck if the quarterly maturity date of the previous GIC happens to fall at the start of the longest bank holiday of the year.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: I'll ask whether they will back-date the transfer. Obviously if they don't then there's no advantage, and you're just out of luck if the quarterly maturity date of the previous GIC happens to fall at the start of the longest bank holiday of the year.
I called yesterday while they were closed and left a call back message. They called me back today when they opened at 8:30 ( 9:30 our time ) and back dated the GIC that had a quarterly renewal on Dec 24 into the empty GIC I created on Dec 24.

I also messaged on their website to complain that it's not acceptable to be closed 4 days, and I attribute that decline in service due to their recent merger.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7826 posts
8512 upvotes
Vancouver
Bull Dog wrote: I called yesterday while they were closed and left a call back message. They called me back today when they opened at 8:30 ( 9:30 our time ) and back dated the GIC that had a quarterly renewal on Dec 24 into the empty GIC I created on Dec 24.

I also messaged on their website to complain that it's not acceptable to be closed 4 days, and I attribute that decline in service due to their recent merger.
I've yet to hear from them or contact them today. So you confirmed that you won't lose any days interest on the switch?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: I've yet to hear from them or contact them today. So you confirmed that you won't lose any days interest on the switch?
Thats what they said

Top