• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 7:46 am
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37412 posts
23485 upvotes
Center of Universe
Waiting for a $99 firesale, before I migrate away from ST.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6390 posts
1535 upvotes
Montreal
I bought mine for $79.95 US directly from Hubitat on sale last December. It has been on sale for that price since then.

I found that there were too many of my devices on ST that weren't supported natively on Hubitat causing me to jump through hoops to get them working. After a couple of weeks of service, my Hubitat now sits in its box on my shelf.
If someone in Montreal wants one, I'll sell it for what I paid in Cdn funds.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7226 posts
7724 upvotes
Vancouver
Phils wrote: I found that there were too many of my devices on ST that weren't supported natively on Hubitat causing me to jump through hoops to get them working
Can you give a few examples?
IWIKnow wrote: Any reason to use this over Home Assistant?
HA software is free, but you do have to supply your own server, and your own Zigbee/Zwave interfaces if you need those for any devices, so buying Hubitat covers some of that.

But supposedly the main reason is that Hubitat is a supported commercial solution where they spend the time to keep it up to date and solve the many new issues that are always coming up with home automation integrations. With HA you have to potentially spend a lot of your own time doing that. I have a lot of devices from different suppliers in my HA configuration, and I probably have at least one new time-consuming issue per week.

Therefore my question to Phils...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6390 posts
1535 upvotes
Montreal
The main benefit that I was looking for from Hubitat was the reliability of local processing.
However all my light switches are Kasa, and Wemo that I often access remotely so there really wouldn't be a change there.

I also have Orvibo motion and contact sensors which if I wanted to use with Hubitat, I had to unpair from SmartThings leaving me without the automations during the transition.

I couldn't integrate my Canary alarm system at all.
I also have a couple of IKEA Tradfri buttons that I use in automations that weren't supported.
As I recall, it didn't support Harmony at the time but I understand it does now.
Other devices needed IFTTT to function which I felt negated the local benefit aspect.

There is an app to facilitate Hubitat to/from SmartThings communications which could be useful during the transition from one system to the other but why do that when I already have a working ST system?
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6390 posts
1535 upvotes
Montreal
@jorgespneto,

PM sent.
Phils

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)