• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2010 7:26 pm
29 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19891 posts
7545 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Nice web site, really brings me back to 1993. The only thing it's missing is blinking text.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
BinaryJay wrote: Nice web site, really brings me back to 1993. The only thing it's missing is blinking text.

Yah, it's a thing of beauty alright. I guess they don't teach web design in auctioneer school.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC

Not really much in the way of great wine there, although decent if it mainly goes for ~$10 a bottle. I wouldn't mind buying a few bottles of that ring bolt or the ravens wood, or hopefully they have a few decent SA wines from the Stellenbosch area.

The Camus cognac would be awesome, about the best thing I can see there. Wouldn't be a bad chance to stock up on a whole lot of spirits. Very tempting to head in.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
2206 posts
1360 upvotes
Yummy.
Ottawa/Gatineau next please.
I BOUGHT A HOUSE!
After a 3 year wait it's hard to believe I'm finally in my house. What a rollercoaster of emotions it has been.

Notable wins of 2011: Trip for 2 to Rome, 15" Macbook Pro, $500 cash for each family member =$2500, $500 in frozen meat coupons!! YAY ME.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11202 posts
5287 upvotes
heading out there in a couple days might have to make a stop there lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Edmonton ... 'George ... Winnipeg ... I don't think I could see burning the gas let alone the time involved.

In fact, after I started rereading the auction post a bit more carefully I realized that it really isn't much liquor at all.
  • 500 bottles of spirits = roughly 42 cases
  • 100 cases of beer = doodly-squat (I asked at my local liquor store this evening and they said their normal inventory runs 2000-4000 cases)
Funny, though ... the photos make it look like more, don't they?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
Wingding wrote: Edmonton ... 'George ... Winnipeg ... I don't think I could see burning the gas let alone the time involved.

In fact, after I started rereading the auction post a bit more carefully I realized that it really isn't much liquor at all.
  • 100 cases of beer = doodly-squat (I asked at my local liquor store this evening and they said their normal inventory runs 2000-4000 cases)

Yeah, looks like a small liquor store has closed and if the pricing isn't any good, it really won't be worth it. I might be over there next week is the only reason I thought about it.

Not really interested in the beer, but a case of spirits is more than I'll get through in the next 10 years. The lack of wine is the real downer though, 900 bottles isn't much and a lot of it looks like garbage. I guess that's true of the spirits too, there's probably a dozen bottles of high end stuff that they kept on hand and the rest will be bulk low end stuff. Oh well, see if I'm in the area, I guess :)
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1926 posts
86 upvotes
Marty25 wrote: Wow that sure is a hot deal!

Theirs no pricing at all, how is this a hot deal?
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11202 posts
5287 upvotes
Wingding wrote: Edmonton ... 'George ... Winnipeg ... I don't think I could see burning the gas let alone the time involved.

I leaving for calgary sunday so i will be out there for wednesday.Not like i be wasting any extra gas lol
Jan 21, 2010
140 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg
That's juicy, who's up for a roadtrip!? And then we'll have a social to fund our liquor trip!

Will they separate the liquor, or is it all going in one big group? How much do you guys figure it'll go for?
Sep 9, 2003
780 posts
89 upvotes
Calgary
Kry_sta wrote: How much do you guys figure it'll go for?

I figure a couple of liquor store owners will walk in and clean it out, even at only a 25% discount, and the lookie-loo's will be left wondering why they showed up.
Signs you're a postwhore:
1) You say "I got that cheaper", but don't say where, or when.
2) Your post contains less than 5 words.
3) Your post contains more than 5 words, but none of them are about the topic of the thread.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4178 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
malbadon wrote: I figure a couple of liquor store owners will walk in and clean it out, even at only a 25% discount, and the lookie-loo's will be left wondering why they showed up.

I find that happens alot with things like this.... I doubt they'd auction of each bottle unless it was a high ticket item, so it will go by lot and x times that, so if the price is right the first bidder usually just buys it all ....

Usually sucks for the average person who just wants a few specific things, but thats auctions for ya.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Kry_sta wrote: Will they separate the liquor, or is it all going in one big group? How much do you guys figure it'll go for?
It won't go in one big group, in fact if I know these auctioneers it'll be a long, drawn-out sale of a couple bottles at a time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
malbadon wrote: I figure a couple of liquor store owners will walk in and clean it out, even at only a 25% discount, and the lookie-loo's will be left wondering why they showed up.
I'm not sure liquor store owners will find it worthwhile to come, except for fixtures and equipment. Buying individual bottles of mixed inventory and then having to haul it back to their stores, sort it, and inventory it would be a huge waste of time relative to the bit of money they might save over ALCB wholesale.