[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11410 posts
1643 upvotes
Mississauga

Huge fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral, Paris

Huge blaze at Notre-Dame Cathedral

Very sad to see. This is one of the world's iconic landmarks. The spire has been destroyed and the roof has collapsed in on itself. The fire is still ongoing, so it is unknown as to what can be preserved. The church was undergoing a significant restoration process, so it's not sure yet if that was a cause of the fire.
Last edited by Talamasca on Apr 15th, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
67 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2510 posts
747 upvotes
Woodbridge
Lots of history gone. Lots of art as well. Some of those stained glass windows are over half a millennium old.
Oct 24, 2009
341 posts
70 upvotes
Yes, just read about it. I really hope the iconic cathedral survives, although some news are saying that the spire at the top has collapsed. Also read and not sure if true is that the cross that Jesus was killed on is also inside it, but hopefully it was taken out during renovations.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8755 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:48 pm
Yes, just read about it. I really hope the iconic cathedral survives, although some news are saying that the spire at the top has collapsed. Also read and not sure if true is that the cross that Jesus was killed on is also inside it, but hopefully it was taken out during renovations.
one of the signs of the apocalypse?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8755 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:53 pm
Doubt it.
it being "the cross", sign of the apocalypse...or both?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11410 posts
1643 upvotes
Mississauga
OntEdTchr wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:46 pm
Lots of history gone. Lots of art as well. Some of those stained glass windows are over half a millennium old.
Luckily no one was hurt or killed, but the loss of art and history in that building was priceless. Just read a quick synopsis at Wikipedia on some famous events that have occurred at Notre Dame and it's mind-boggling.
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:48 pm
The Crown of Thorns, part of the cross and a nail that was used to crucify Jesus Christ were all artifacts of Notre-Dame.
Last edited by Talamasca on Apr 15th, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 24, 2009
341 posts
70 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:55 pm
it being "the cross", sign of the apocalypse...or both?
Ok, if you insist on my prediction, I don't think the end is near.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8755 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:58 pm
Ok, if you insist on my prediction, I don't think the end is near.
hope we don't have to wait another 2 thousand years
Oct 24, 2009
341 posts
70 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:01 pm
hope we don't have to wait another 2 thousand years
No you wont have to wait for another 2 thousand years. You'll have to wait for another 20 thousand years.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8755 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:06 pm
No you wont have to wait for another 2 thousand years. You'll have to wait for another 20 thousand years.
ok. i'll mark it on the calendar. this is quite the waiting game.
Oct 24, 2009
341 posts
70 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:57 pm
The Crown of Thorns, part of the cross and a nail that was used to crucify Jesus Christ were all artifacts of Notre-Dame.
Wow, that would be a monumental loss if it indeed perished in the fire. I really hope they can save the structure. Some reports are saying that since the building is made of stone it is acting like an oven but the good thing is that stone doesn't burn.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3927 posts
2398 upvotes
Burnaby
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:16 pm
Wow, that would be a monumental loss if it indeed perished in the fire. I really hope they can save the structure. Some reports are saying that since the building is made of stone it is acting like an oven but the good thing is that stone doesn't burn.
Stones that are heated in a large fire and then quenched with cold water might develop cracks (which weakens them structurally), some of the original material might not be strong enough for use during a reconstruction.

It doesn't look good. The Guardian UK has some pictures showing the damage. It's huge.

I wonder the cause of the fire: prayer candles? (are these still allowed?); maintenance mishap (from renovation works)?

=====
Edit - Update: some pictures of the fire

#NotreDame

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame

========
Edit 2.
The exact cause of the blaze was not known, but French media quoted the Paris fire brigade as saying the fire is “potentially linked” to a 6 million-euro ($6.8 million) renovation project on the church’s spire and its 250 tons of lead. The Paris prosecutors’ office ruled out arson and possible terror-related motives, and said it was treating it as an accident.
^ Massive fire engulfs beloved Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, WP/AP, April 15, 2019.

Those renovation contractors better have a good insurance policy that includes fire, otherwise the incoming lawsuit is going to bankrupt them.
Last edited by aviador on Apr 15th, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs