Off Topic

Huge fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral, Paris

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 3:56 pm
Tags:
Oct 24, 2009
387 posts
85 upvotes
aviador wrote: Stones that are heated in a large fire and then quenched with cold water might develop cracks (which weakens them structurally), some of the original material might not be strong enough for use during a reconstruction.

It doesn't look good. The Guardian UK has some pictures showing the damage. It's huge.

I wonder the cause of the fire: prayer candles? (are these still allowed?); maintenance mishap (from renovation works)?
Sigh, it does look like that the building cannot be saved, the interior minister has also said something similar. What a loss and that too on during Easter time...I am not even from this religion and yet I am really sad. :(
Sep 30, 2001
28361 posts
7355 upvotes
Toronto
very upset by this. had the chance to tour the inside of the cathedral a couple of years ago and opted not to.

a good reason not to put off travelling to see precious monuments. just never know when disaster can strike.
FS: Xbox One X (NEW)

We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6414 posts
3434 upvotes
Aurora
Wow. Very unfortunate. This would strike a harder national blow than if the CN Tower or Parliament Hill was gutted here.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11960 posts
2152 upvotes
Mississauga
DelusionalDiva wrote: Sigh, it does look like that the building cannot be saved, the interior minister has also said something similar. What a loss and that too on during Easter time...I am not even from this religion and yet I am really sad. :(
Oh man, just remembered that it is Holy Week. So sad.
Jun 6, 2009
525 posts
89 upvotes
If there's any consolation:

"All works of art saved, religious artifacts intact". Smiling Face With Open Mouth
DiceMan wrote: Wow. Very unfortunate. This would strike a harder national blow than if the CN Tower or Parliament Hill was gutted here.
24 Sussex could go and I don't think anybody would care.. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3413 posts
1394 upvotes
This is very sad news for me to hear about this.

Even though I'm not Catholic, nor do I have any formal religion. I did once upon a time do confession privately at this very place for about 45 minutes. It was a very long time ago, when I was a lot younger than I am today. LOL
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
734 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: This is very sad news for me to hear about this.

Even though I'm not Catholic, nor do I have any formal religion. I did once upon a time do confession privately at this very place for about 45 minutes. It was a very long time ago, when I was a lot younger than I am today. LOL
I was raised Catholic turned agnostic/atheist. You dont really have to be a religious person to appreciate these kinds of unique churches.

Its pretty much a work of art being destroyed.

I cant imagine how soothing it is to listen to a choir or an opera singer inside that church.

Its a shame.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
What's ironic is that the cathedral was in great disrepair and conservationists were warning that if they couldn't raise €100 million within the next 10 years the whole thing could collapse. (It is government-owned but the diocese was responsible for upkeep.)

Now Macron says they will rebuild it, but at what cost?
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12211 posts
1131 upvotes
Brampton
Dang I bet the devil did it.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4115 posts
1377 upvotes
WFH
cheapmeister wrote: Dang I bet the devil did it.
More likely god as punishment for all the impropriety in the catholic church.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
Do you think there is enough Catholic fervor in France these days for them to be able to raise enough money to rebuild it to its former splendour?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4121 posts
924 upvotes
Sask.
Such a terrible tragedy, and sad that it happened during Holy Week.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11960 posts
2152 upvotes
Mississauga
lecale wrote: What's ironic is that the cathedral was in great disrepair and conservationists were warning that if they couldn't raise €100 million within the next 10 years the whole thing could collapse. (It is government-owned but the diocese was responsible for upkeep.)

Now Macron says they will rebuild it, but at what cost?
Doesn't the RC Church have an insane amount of money? They could fund the entire reconstruction on its own.
lecale wrote: Do you think there is enough Catholic fervor in France these days for them to be able to raise enough money to rebuild it to its former splendour?
I think it's more than a Catholic thing, although most of the country is at least nominally Catholic. This is a national symbol and monument to the glory of their nation.